Who is using Hodgdon Triple 7?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a couple cans of Triple 7 FFG back in February of this year. I found I had no accuracy.
I thought the cause may be triple 7 burned at a hotter temp than either BP or Pryrodex. I found my patches were burned through. That may be true. I cannot find their MSDS sheets, but I did find their Safety Data Sheets. The data is inconclusive. The SDS lists auto-ignition temps, but not true burning temps.

Anyone using Triple 7 and having accuracy issues? Any ideas?

Attachments

• 2018-pyrodex-sds-new.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • sds-sheets-goex-black-powder.pdf
    91.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Triple Seven-SDS-sheet-2017.pdf
    549.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
T7 loose powder burns way hotter than true black or Pyrodex. Maybe someone will show that burn/pressure chart showing the difference between the different powders and pellets.

I have a vintage CVA Mountain Stalker rifle, 50 caliber. That particular gun is usually loaded with 75 grains of 3f Swiss by volume with a patched 490 ball.
Over the summer, I have tried the same patched ball with Triple 7 2f. It took a few shots but I found that 60 grains volume was the best charge.

777??
You know that’s like taking the first sip of Koolaid and next you’ll be looking for 209 primers and BH209 for that in-line….
:thumb:I’ve shot a few pounds of it. It’s good powder and if I was limited to T7 only I’d find a way to survive. But since I can buy Swiss powder and have it shipped to the house, why would I use T7?

I’ve also owned a TC XR45 briefly. It was fine too, if not a very attractive rifle. If I had to use an inline by law then that’s what I would do. Thank God for choices.

I'm fixing to go pick up a pound of 777 loose powder, probably tomorrow. I have a new CVA Optima to work up a load for my son. I figure if I go with the loose powder I have more of a chance of finding the optimum load for it. He wants to shoot 777 , 50 grain pellets, but ole dad just might find a more accurate load for his new Optima.

I'm fixing to go pick up a pound of 777 loose powder, probably tomorrow. I have a new CVA Optima to work up a load for my son. I figure if I go with the loose powder I have more of a chance of finding the optimum load for it. He wants to shoot 777 , 50 grain pellets, but ole dad just might find a more accurate load for his new Optima.
If the boy wants to shoot pellets, just let him decide, not you.
His problem won't be figuring out a powder load - not with 2-3 777 pellets. His problem will be finding a sabot and accompanying bullet for that sabot, that renders good accuracy up-to 150 yards or so.

Harvester Sabots makes a few different thickness (MMP too) and Hornady will provide your son with 240-300gr XTP pistol bullets, sold in 50pk boxes in the sporting good's handloader's aisle.

That's the best advice I can dish-out to Dad today, to get that boy started-out on the right track. Then I would advise Dad to forego that loose 777 jug purchase and keep shooting real black in that T/C sidelock.

My past remembrances trying out 777 in sidelocks resulted in alot of work - alot of bullets - alot of powder - alot of crusty fouling at/near the breech- alot of nipple blockage - cleanout screw threads locked-in..........etc.....etc.

It just didn't work out as planned. and I'll stick to Ole' Eyensford, Swiss, Schutzen or Goex.

Last edited:
Everything I've read say 777 is about 15% more energetic, try reducing your load a bit. Also note that this is measured by volume! T7 is heavier than black powder or pyrodex, weight grain for weight grain you would end up with a really wrong load of t7.

That said, really need a chrono to measure speed with the powder that was accurate, then work out what T7 needs to fit that speed.

Triple 7 burns considerably hotter than BP. Perhaps more than 300* F. You may want to use a wool wad over the powder to protect your projectile.

If the boy wants to shoot pellets, just let him decide, not you.
His problem won't be figuring out a powder load - not with 2-3 777 pellets. His problem will be finding a sabot and accompanying bullet for that sabot, that renders good accuracy up-to 150 yards or so.

Harvester Sabots makes a few different thickness (MMP too) and Hornady will provide your son with 240-300gr XTP pistol bullets, sold in 50pk boxes in the sporting good's handloader's aisle.

That's the best advice I can dish-out to Dad today, to get that boy started-out on the right track. Then I would advise Dad to forego that loose 777 jug purchase and keep shooting real black in that T/C sidelock.

My past remembrances trying out 777 in sidelocks resulted in alot of work - alot of bullets - alot of powder - alot of crusty fouling at/near the breech- alot of nipple blockage - cleanout screw threads locked-in..........etc.....etc.

It just didn't work out as planned. and I'll stick to Ole' Eyensford, Swiss, Schutzen or Goex.

Thank you for the input. It is appreciated.

I was asked by my son to locate a good inline for him, go pick it up, install a scope on it, and get it shooting accurately for him. That is my goal. With the formula he wanted to shoot (PowerBelts and 777 pellets) this particular CVA Optima does not like. I switched over to loose 777 and some Hornady XTP 240 grain I had on hand and saw an immediate and substantial increase in accuracy. So far, all I have tried was 80 grains. I have not had the opportunity to experiment with it since. It is shooting a 3" group at 100 yards but I'm fairly certain that can be improved upon. I did get those same PowerBelts to shoot a 4" group with loose 777 from 100 yards where as before the group was over 2" at 25 yards with 777 pellets. Still can be improved upon if I wanted but I have decided to stick with the XTP's. More accurate and less spendy. However, I have not tried the 777 pellets with the 240 grain XTP's yet. If his inline likes it, and if its accurate out to 100 yards, then so be it. That will be the one. Really wanted to go to the range again today but mother nature is being bipolar again and decided to put another flood upon us. My next chance will be Friday and Saturday.

Dad will find the optimum load for this particular rifle and for what we have to work with (within reason). Dad always has since Dad started reloading in 1981. And of course, advice is always welcome, especially if it saves time, money and frustration.

After this one is nailed down, Dad has a Black Knight to work out a load for. Dad Inherited it from his Dad after he passed a few years ago.

In terms of black power and sidelocks................I couldn't agree with you more. That's all I will shoot out of my old smokepoles. Been working for me since the early 80's. My two particular sidelocks likes 80 grains of 3F and my hand cast Maxi Balls. I recently installed a peep sight on my favorite smokepole so it will have to be worked with and zeroed in. That peep saved the day because Dads vision is not what it used to be. Pulled my old smokepole out recently and found the iron sights to be fuzzy. Couldn't make myself install a scope on it so I remembered a peep I had purchased way back when that I never used. I am amazed to find that I can see very well through that peep and with a fine fiber optic front bead I installed. So well that I can see how to aim at smaller targets way out yonder and even in poor light conditions. So I am chomping at the bit to get this one lined out.

Last edited:
:thumb:I’ve shot a few pounds of it. It’s good powder and if I was limited to T7 only I’d find a way to survive. But since I can buy Swiss powder and have it shipped to the house, why would I use T7?

I’ve also owned a TC XR45 briefly. It was fine too, if not a very attractive rifle. If I had to use an inline by law then that’s what I would do. Thank God for choices.
I like Tripe Seven.....

I'm about ready to sight in my new CVA Wolf, recently bought from a member here.
He sent me a 209 breech plug along with the standard QRBP.
I'm sorta on the fence as to which powder I'll be using.
I do have plenty of both Triple 7 and Swiss black powder.
I'm more leaning towards the Swiss for my initial sight in.

Have a supply of Triple Seven and Pyrodex from after hunting season sales at Wal Mart.

At the range i often shoot Triple Seven. My use of Triple Seven is limited to inline TC rifles with sabots and #11 caps. My current open bottle is marked $6.99.

In my experience Triple Seven produces accuracy comparable to any black powder or substitute. The crud ring is much diminished by the use of #11 caps and powder charges of less than 100 grains.

I wonder if ceddite primers work with Blackhorn 209
I bought quite a few cheddites, and personally haven't used them YET. But if I recall there is a thread on here about that...and several different members have had good results from using cheddites and BH 209. The problem I first ran into is the size, they are pretty fat primers and don't like to fit in my knights. Had a local gunsmith ream out my BP for them to fit. Will try them hopefully next week when this rain clears out and I'll let you know how they do.

I see that some of you guys are really big on black powder-I hate the stuff simply because it stinks and is dirty, same goes for Pyrodex. I don't see any gain using either of those two over Triple Seven. Do those of you that swear by black powder actually see an advantage to using it in terms of accuracy?

Last edited:
I see that some of you guys are really big on black powder-I hate the stuff simply because it stinks and is dirty, same goes for Pyrodex. I don't see any gain in with either of those two over Triple Seven. Do those of you that swear by black powder actually see an advantage to using it in terms of accuracy?

Interesting to find the results to this.

Back