Who's eating my backstraps?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to fight weasels off a deer once.....nasty little buggers.
Same here but it was just one feisty weasel! Many years ago in York County Maine I shot a really heavy 9 point buck in the bottom of a fairly deep ravine. My friend Roland and I had a long uphill drag to get the deer to a skid road where we could get his Jeep pickup to load it up. There was a slab pile at the end of that skid road and we were beat and decided to sit down and have a smoke before going to get the Jeep. We'd been there a minute or so when a half turned weasel came out from under the slab pile and decided to take possession of the buck. Cutest thing I ever saw. He sort of snarled at us and started chewing on the bloody hide where I had gutted the deer. My buddy said he would get the Jeep but I had better stay and make sure he didn't eat it all. :) When Roland showed up with the truck that little varmint was still snarling at me and chewing on the hide. He went nuts when we tried to move the buck so I had to get a slab and shoo him away so we could get out of there. Those little critters have no fear!

i lost one to coyotes once in a 2 hour period in the daylight. nearly ate it all.

lost one overnight that was totally gone except for the back bone.

Are you able to hunt another in that scenario or does your tag have to be notched as soon as you kill it?

Same here but it was just one feisty weasel! Many years ago in York County Maine I shot a really heavy 9 point buck in the bottom of a fairly deep ravine. My friend Roland and I had a long uphill drag to get the deer to a skid road where we could get his Jeep pickup to load it up. There was a slab pile at the end of that skid road and we were beat and decided to sit down and have a smoke before going to get the Jeep. We'd been there a minute or so when a half turned weasel came out from under the slab pile and decided to take possession of the buck. Cutest thing I ever saw. He sort of snarled at us and started chewing on the bloody hide where I had gutted the deer. My buddy said he would get the Jeep but I had better stay and make sure he didn't eat it all. :) When Roland showed up with the truck that little varmint was still snarling at me and chewing on the hide. He went nuts when we tried to move the buck so I had to get a slab and shoo him away so we could get out of there. Those little critters have no fear!
Thanks for the cool story

I had some beef trim on a bear bait one afternoon and a pine martin came upon it. That little sucker swiped piece after piece, carrying chunks of beef trim that were heavier than he was up a large basswood tree to the first large limb. He'd stash a piece then come down for another. Funnier than heck. The next morning, he was up on that limb trying to dine on his newly found bonanza, but the ravens were after his breakfast. He didn't get to eat too much of it and a bear had come in after dark and enjoyed what was on the pile.

Are you able to hunt another in that scenario or does your tag have to be notched as soon as you kill it?
you are supposed to fill out the tag then.
i know a game warden here that would not fill out the tag until he was about to move it.

Back