Why I'm sure I'll never buy from Cabelas/Redhead again

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caniborrowsomeammo

Reaction score
Rant............G*?D%^outfit so downhill since $ass Pro took over.
I ordered a Sig BDX scope for my 223 heavy barrel to pair with my binos. The outfit I bought from through Amazon says delivery in 7-9 days but after 3-4 days they haven't shipped. I happened to get a pop up from Cabelas with the same scope $110 cheaper. I click on it and says in stock so I sign into my Cabelas account and add it to cart and purchase it. Get a confirmation email that it is processing, great! Free 2 day shipping too!!! Even better. So I cancel my previous order with the other outfit. They were reluctant to cancel as they were just getting ready to ship supposedly.
So I go to my email this morning and no email from Cabelas telling me "here's a tracking number, you great customer, we appreciate your business, yada yada. bs, bs. bs, etc.". I got that sneaking suspicion and went to my account and looked up my order -CANCELLED. They could have had the courtesy to tell me one would think.
That's it, I'm done with them. Even if they send an item to me free, using clairvoyance to know what item I want, well maybe I'll keep it, but it will never happen anyhoo.
I went to Amazon, the scope was in stock for $100 more than Cabelas, it should be here Monday even with prime shipping. For $80 more it would have been here Friday. Funny about Amazon pricing, sellers, and shipping always changing. I can wait 2 days methinks.
End of rant.

My last go-round with Cabelas was prior to the take-over by BP. It too involved a scope only this one was in the store's showcase along with the box. I asked the clerk for one just like it and was told they were out of stock. I said there's one right here, I'll take this one. Nope. Gotta have this for display. I argued my way thru four different levels of bs before leaving without the scope. I don't care who owns the name now, its still a **** show operation. They get nothing from me and I want nothing from them.

I had similar experience last fall. Placed an order for some broadheads which were listed as in stock. A day or two later, I got an email from Cabela's that my order was canceled. ITEM NO LONGER IN STOCK.

I used to LOVE the Bargain Cave. Mine always had Pedersoli MZs in there. I never bought one, because they “always had them.” Then one day, the Bargain Cave was gone! 😳😢

Cabela’s used to have a nice selection of Big/Tall clothing, both casual and hunting-/fishing-specific. Many items available up to 5XLT. No more! Much more limited selection, now. I was a big customer from 1982 to just a few years ago. Now it’s just like a big K-Mart, only with lots of taxidermy mounts and an ostentatious building for the customer to pay for! 😳

Cabela's was the only place I could purchase shirts that fit. No more. I would like to purchase an accessory for my Alaknak wall tent. I abhor the idea of dealing with them.

Yep, through the 80s into the early 90s, they were my go-to. I was hoping this time, I would be a lucky guy.
Hopefully, Amazo will come through.

When the brothers sold out and Cabelas went public is when the death spiral started. It starts when you bring in a bunch of blood sucking corporate executives bean counters. The only thing they care about is enriching themselves and the major stockholders. Who cares if they run it into the ground. They still get paid.

I have a Cabelas just a few miles down the road from me. I'll drive 30 miles the other way to keep from going there.

When the brothers sold out and Cabelas went public is when the death spiral started. It starts when you bring in a bunch of blood sucking corporate executives bean counters. The only thing they care about is enriching themselves and the major stockholders. Who cares if they run it into the ground. They still get paid.

I have a Cabelas just a few miles down the road from me. I'll drive 30 miles the other way to keep from going there.
Me too, (not a movement)

Haven't found an actual bargain at either one for a long time. Cabella's mastercard's still my main one, use it for everything Best was when we could put our kids' college tuition on the card (which we pay off every month). One new gun a year from "points".

Most stuff is overpriced fishing plugs, yuppie clothes, and expensive candy in both stores. Last trip to a BP had one bag of shot (#4's) at $49 and a plastic stock muzzle loader. Bro-in-law is an IT person at BP headquarters in Springfield, Mo. Sheer volume of what they handle boggles my brain. Came a long way from selling doll flies in Johnny's father's liquor stores.

Yeah, most Cabela's stuff is overpriced. But i got a good deal on Minox scopes and bought four. i buy nearly everything on the Cabela's Master Card. Over the years Cabela's points have bought me some nice guns.

Cabelas has went down the tubes since Johnny Morris bought it. Clothing quality is way down. He also bought out Ranger boats which I wasn’t aware of until after I bought one. I’ve had problem after problem with stuff breaking on it and it has leaked from day one. I have taken it back twice. I just gave up and deal with it now. I would not buy another Ranger and I would advise anyone to steer clear of them . their slogan used to be we build them one boat at a time. Now it should be. We build them one boat at a time …..very crappy.

Yuppy store for sure. Always my last choice for BUYING. I do cruise through every couple months though. Too bad they kill 'Uncle Joe's Gunshop' when they come in. My friend says "the girlfriend drags the guys down there for the camo fashions. Eventually he will buy some ammo and an arm there and I won't see him till something breaks".

Rant............G*?D%^outfit so downhill since $ass Pro took over.
I ordered a Sig BDX scope for my 223 heavy barrel to pair with my binos. The outfit I bought from through Amazon says delivery in 7-9 days but after 3-4 days they haven't shipped. I happened to get a pop up from Cabelas with the same scope $110 cheaper. I click on it and says in stock so I sign into my Cabelas account and add it to cart and purchase it. Get a confirmation email that it is processing, great! Free 2 day shipping too!!! Even better. So I cancel my previous order with the other outfit. They were reluctant to cancel as they were just getting ready to ship supposedly.
So I go to my email this morning and no email from Cabelas telling me "here's a tracking number, you great customer, we appreciate your business, yada yada. bs, bs. bs, etc.". I got that sneaking suspicion and went to my account and looked up my order -CANCELLED. They could have had the courtesy to tell me one would think.
That's it, I'm done with them. Even if they send an item to me free, using clairvoyance to know what item I want, well maybe I'll keep it, but it will never happen anyhoo.
I went to Amazon, the scope was in stock for $100 more than Cabelas, it should be here Monday even with prime shipping. For $80 more it would have been here Friday. Funny about Amazon pricing, sellers, and shipping always changing. I can wait 2 days methinks.
End of rant.
We have found that if you look at something on Amazon but not buy and go back later after checking others site prices, the Amazon price is now higher....

Johnny Morris is now listed in the top ten richest people in Missouri. Billionaire several times over. Cabela's bought out Herter's. Bass Pro bought out Cabela's. Walmart is no longer owned by an old quail hunter who drove a pickup truck. Brownell's and Midway U.S.A. are still family-owned (for now, at least) and where I look first.

Cabela's card is still my primary card. With $5 gasoline, I have no "gun cash stash", but "Club Points" might build up for a bottle of Pyrodex by Christmas.

Had to cancel Cab/Bass after they went from Visa to MC. Had nothing but trouble. Was able to go back to Visa through Scheel's. I have to drive 100 miles to get to either, so that didn't matter. As far as Johnny goes, I met him once at a function just before the buyout was finalized. He seemed like a nice enough guy to me.

I'm using Midway more and more, and haven't had much trouble except the way things get jostled around in the box when the order arrives. But Midway took care of it and sent more to make up for lost bullets. I'm hoping Midway still has the birthday special this year, I have a big shopping cart already. :oops:
Powder and primers I use Sportsmans Warehouse locally and I'm heading to WA tomorrow so will stop along the way and pick up what's available along the I-5 corridor hopefully as I need some TAC, H38, and Comp or powders similar. And will pick up the limit of 2 primers at each stop to keep my supply up.

Back