Why I'm sure I'll never buy from Cabelas/Redhead again

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have mixed feelings about Cabelas. I only got into hunting a couple of years ago. I got a Cabelas Club card when I first started going. I hardly use it because I don’t want my “points” restricted to use at Cabelas. Also a tiny credit limit of $500. When I was buying equipment there, I was doing price matching with Amazon. With a little effort, they would match the price.

Last week I was shopping for a hunting rifle online, a Sig Cross, and the price was pretty much the same everywhere, about $1600. I happened to get an email indicating a one-day 10% off sale for online purchases that included firearms and ammo. Though I had to jump through some hoops (calling to order) to split the cost between my $500 limit Cabelas card and another card, I got the full 10% off. It shows as shipped. I wasn’t able to get ammo though because in MA (I think?) you can’t ship to store.

Cabelas has next to nothing for muzzy's anymore. Very expensive clothes. They use to have a very wide selection of tree stands and then they didn't. A number of years ago they sold a tree stand by the name of Northstar touted by Ted Neugent. They were built like a tank,very solid and comfortable. I always wished I'd bought more. The wide selection on goods was why I went in there. A former employee told me once that the logistics for them was a nightmare. Well too bad. Deal with it or lose customers. I never go in there anymore and no longer have there credit card.

Cabelas is only ten minutes away for me so I stop occassionally to browse around. I have noticed they don't stock ammo like they once did. The good news is I can order from them...then do a store pickup to avoid shipping costs. Also makes returns easy.
As far as fishing gear/tackle goes they seem to have a good selection now, but you gotta get there early cause they do little re-stocking. I find that surprising since they teamed-up with Basspro.

Back