Why I'm sure I'll never buy from Cabelas/Redhead again

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When stores get bought out or someone new takes over things never remain the same. The old Cabelas is a thing of the past. We have a local Bass Pro I went looking for a rod similar to what I bought a few years back. no comparison in quality. I kept my gift cards from my children and I still have them. I do not know what I`ll use them on. Crazy. I do not enjoy the store anymore. I try to buy from small mom and pop shops now.

There isn't a Cabela's or Basspro within 100 miles of where I live now.
Back in Connecticut, we used to occasionally shop at the Cabela's in East Hartford.
My wife always loved the bargin cave. That was her first stop, I usually had to drag her out of there before she bought everything, Lol.
I guess they did away with the cave. Too bad, there were some good deals on stuff.

Sadly, I don't think they are offering birthday specials. My birthday was in January and I never got an offer.
Midway is still good if you have an active account. I just saved $35 on a $200 order and free shipping using mine

Cabela's was always my go to place for hunting,camping, outdoor supplies. Best customer service in the world.
I ordered a case cleaner for rifle/pistol brass and when it arrived there was a chunk of plastic missing from the housing. It would still work as long as you did not stick your finger in with the wires!
Cabelas said, New one on the way, keep the old one.
That does not happen anymore.
They both are my last resort when it comes to outdoor products. I am more than likely to get if from Amazon!

For years i bought stuff in the Bargain Cave. Numerous good deals on some of the better Kershaw knives. Ive bought 1 set of Vortex rings from them since the BP buyout and only because with the "reward points" i got them cheaper than i could get them any place.

I loved Cabela's Guidewear clothes and rain gear. I never had one close to me, but I'd check the bargain cave online often and hit the stores whenever I was traveling and got near one. Use to just about outfit myself completely out of the bargain cave. Now what little they have in it is almost exclusively cheap make Red Head junk.

My biggest problem with Cabelas is the pricing like a lot of you already mentioned. The last 3or 4 times I was there it was a joke. (Hamburg, PA store). I have more black powder and reloading supplies than they had on the shelves. Ridiculous.

We lost a couple of local shops recently, mainly due to Cabellas. One owner told me - the wives go for the 'fashions' and take dad along where he buys some ammo or something I sell here. The BUT is when you are looking for a specific item they probably will not have it. If you special order - good luck. They will be with us forever, but do we need them?

I have never liked Bass Pro n seldom did i ever buy from them. Have bought from Cabela's until the buy-out. Have not been in either of the Stores in several years. I usually deal with Graf & Sons. Plus lolcal stores if i happen to find something i need.

Sadly, I don't think they are offering birthday specials. My birthday was in January and I never got an offer.
I never got an email either. But went on the website and the birthday pricing was in effect. (My birthday is also in Jan.)

My last "go-round" with Cabelas in Pennsylvania involved a Remington Rider cap-fired BB pistol which I had originally purchased several years ago from THEM! I dutifully stopped at the front desk to "splain" what I had so as to not disobey the big sign in the lobby "NO LOADED FIREARMS ALLOWED INSIDE STORE." I was there to see if they had in stock the rather unusual "BB's" required for the little "gun." I was immediately surrounded by a multitude of department managers who were overly concerned that I had brought a "weapon" into the premises that was loaded. Several long minutes later, an older gentleman from the "gun department" observed what I had and "educated" the rest of the individuals that what I had was NOT a gun and was NOT in any way loaded. He also informed the others that Cabelas did indeed used to sell the little "Parlor Pistol," but not longer carried the specialty BB's for it. Most of what they carry anymore is just generic junk (my opinion)..

I drive past them to go to a local gun shop. It's cheaper and better selection at the local shop.

I used to LOVE the Bargain Cave. Mine always had Pedersoli MZs in there. I never bought one, because they “always had them.” Then one day, the Bargain Cave was gone! 😳😢

Cabela’s used to have a nice selection of Big/Tall clothing, both casual and hunting-/fishing-specific. Many items available up to 5XLT. No more! Much more limited selection, now. I was a big customer from 1982 to just a few years ago. Now it’s just like a big K-Mart, only with lots of taxidermy mounts and an ostentatious building for the customer to pay for! 😳
I agree....
Just a big ol Kmart with mounts....

Back