Why In-Line Muzzleloaders?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We’ll I guess I left myself open for that one.
Plus
Virtually no corrosion from the fouling. Same as your CF rifle anyway
Opens up quite a few more powder options and all of them are cheaper than BH209. Probably cheaper per shot than pellets too.
Sight in a week in advance without worry about bore corrosion because you left it dirty.....Thats one of my faves too.

And the obvious....way more performance.

Easy enough, I had never heard of it before joining this forum. Looks like I have some reading to do. Where I hunt, I really don’t need the extra performance but the corrosion aspect is very intriguing plus I have a lot of smokeless powder for my CF reloading.

This guy asked a question, very successfully I might add. He got people talking, debating, 5 pages of posts so far. Some try to reason with him, some tell him to go away. The man has a right to ask a question, which was simple, and receive a simple and cordial answer.

Myself I choose an inline because it's not about the weapon for me, but rather the hunt. I love to hunt whitetails in the snow, to track them for an entire day if required, I love being in the woods and the challenge of coming upon the buck who's track I've been on. Last thing I want to worry about is wet powder or ignition system as I track through heavy woods with branches loaded with snow (live in the snowbelt of WNY). I also want something quick to reload after an initial shot after jumping a buck from it's bed and taking the shot. It's about going into the woods for the day, finding a track I want to follow, figureing out what he is doing, and enjoying what's over the next hill in the november/december woods. Muzzle season gives me an extra 15 days and a couple tags to do this. The inline makes the technical part simpler, the rest is woodsmanship.

I am an avid archer, and shoot a longbow. I choose this as I shoot well instinctively, love the simplicity of a longbow, and again love to wander the woods and take a buck from the ground. A compound would only offer more technical challenges and weight to carry. In this case primitive makes things easier as opposed to inline vs sidelock.

Hope this helps understand some choices and why they are made.

This guy asked a question, very successfully I might add. He got people talking, debating, 5 pages of posts so far. Some try to reason with him, some tell him to go away. The man has a right to ask a question, which was simple, and receive a simple and cordial answer.

Myself I choose an inline because it's not about the weapon for me, but rather the hunt. I love to hunt whitetails in the snow, to track them for an entire day if required, I love being in the woods and the challenge of coming upon the buck who's track I've been on. Last thing I want to worry about is wet powder or ignition system as I track through heavy woods with branches loaded with snow (live in the snowbelt of WNY). I also want something quick to reload after an initial shot after jumping a buck from it's bed and taking the shot. It's about going into the woods for the day, finding a track I want to follow, figureing out what he is doing, and enjoying what's over the next hill in the november/december woods. Muzzle season gives me an extra 15 days and a couple tags to do this. The inline makes the technical part simpler, the rest is woodsmanship.

I am an avid archer, and shoot a longbow. I choose this as I shoot well instinctively, love the simplicity of a longbow, and again love to wander the woods and take a buck from the ground. A compound would only offer more technical challenges and weight to carry. In this case primitive makes things easier as opposed to inline vs sidelock.

Hope this helps understand some choices and why they are made.
You make some good points with your well written and thoughtful answer.
The OP hasn't been back in quite a while now. I for one would like to hear from him again.

You make some good points with your well written and thoughtful answer.
The OP hasn't been back in quite a while now. I for one would like to hear from him again.
the same thing gets posted a few times a year on every muzzleloader and bow forum, and has for decades. The OP NEVER wanted an answer, just some drama for the troll. Somehow when they decide to go traditional, "understanding" why anyone would choose anything else becomes some sort of inside game. He is now back on some traditional forum sharing responses and laughing with his flock. I would bet most here ARE here because we have had our fill of that on any number of forums already. Dont feed the troll

If anyone is interested at this point…Why an in-line?

I own and shoot 7 finely crafted traditional muzzleloaders (GRRW, Getz barrels, Davis locks n triggers etc…no more box store stuff) and have owned at least 5 of the cheaper box store imports.
I never played rondevous…but I love shooting and handling my gun pile, killed critters too.

In-line muzzleloader shooting for me has…removed the stink, reduced the fouling/urgency of cleaning, eased the cleaning and loading, extended my range by 100%, increased ignition to 100%, lightened up a hunting rifle by 3lbs, literally weather proofed my shooting system and reduced the price of the weapon to $400 or less…(you can’t even buy raw parts for a half-stock for under $600)

These single shot loose component guns has given me a deeper love for my precision bolt actions and AR platform guns.

And yes I still shoot my Daisy BB guns..the Daisy 499B is a muzzle loader

This year is the first year that I've ever been hunting. Where I am, muzzleloading season is a few weeks longer than regular rifle season, and allows any type of muzzle loading weapon. I bought a CVA Acura V2 because I wanted to focus more on hunting, and less on learning the intricacies of a flintlock in the few weeks I had to practice, before the season opened. I think there are a lot of people who are more interested in hunting, than they are the weapon used to do so.

I recently got a percussion cap shotgun, and honestly, there's not all that much of a difference in use, or function. I don't know why anybody thinks somebody is "lesser than" for using an inline. The loading process is more or less identical, powder, load, and adding some kind of ignition, whether it's a cap, primer, or flint; then pull the hammer back, and it goes bang.

I'd be willing to bet that if scopes were technologically available on "original" guns, they would have absolutely used them. Why stick with old technology? Most people don't used hand forged barrels anymore either, because modern technology has made them obsolete. If somebody can hit a target more consistently with an optic, by all means, use an optic.

If you want to hunt with stuff made 200 years ago, that's great, but you can't expect everybody to do that.

I just laugh at the snobbishness when I see anybody who claims superiority based on what kind of muzzleloader they use. I'm sure there's plenty of modern gun owners who look at the muzzleloading community and wonder why we're stuck living in the 1800s too. 😁

Always found it fascinating how a modern inline is often frowned by a certain crowd but all the other modern advancements like better insulated clothing are just fine. GPS...yep thats fine too. Fancy ground blind or climber...sure thats cool.

Yeah im hunting in the spirit of the ML season in my camo thermals and on my climber stand while texting on my cell phone or checking trail cam pics. Heated vest and a spare powerbank i can also use to charge my phone. I cant believe they allow inlines during MY season though. 🤪

This year is the first year that I've ever been hunting. Where I am, muzzleloading season is a few weeks longer than regular rifle season, and allows any type of muzzle loading weapon. I bought a CVA Acura V2 because I wanted to focus more on hunting, and less on learning the intricacies of a flintlock in the few weeks I had to practice, before the season opened. I think there are a lot of people who are more interested in hunting, than they are the weapon used to do so.

I recently got a percussion cap shotgun, and honestly, there's not all that much of a difference in use, or function. I don't know why anybody thinks somebody is "lesser than" for using an inline. The loading process is more or less identical, powder, load, and adding some kind of ignition, whether it's a cap, primer, or flint; then pull the hammer back, and it goes bang.

I'd be willing to bet that if scopes were technologically available on "original" guns, they would have absolutely used them. Why stick with old technology? Most people don't used hand forged barrels anymore either, because modern technology has made them obsolete. If somebody can hit a target more consistently with an optic, by all means, use an optic.

If you want to hunt with stuff made 200 years ago, that's great, but you can't expect everybody to do that.

I just laugh at the snobbishness when I see anybody who claims superiority based on what kind of muzzleloader they use. I'm sure there's plenty of modern gun owners who look at the muzzleloading community and wonder why we're stuck living in the 1800s too. 😁
Put an eccentric niche hobby and a baby boomer together and you’re gonna get the crankiest knowingest know-it-all elite snob any universe can produce…period.

I shoot patched round balls out of my modern inline, and converted a percussion gun to take 209 primers. Everything gets put in a plastic tube. I think I might need some Jesus in my life.
You are living on the edge…inter-projectile offenses coupled with statutory ignition misconduct committed with malice and a lack of remorse…find your bottom brother and repent…lest thee be removed from the fold.

Just for general discussion and my edification, why do Muzzleloading enthusiasts use an in-line?
To me, it's no different than using a modern one-shot cartridge rifle. I live in Pennsylvania and true Muzzleloader Season still requires a Flintlock with open sights. I wholely embrace this. This is what muzzleloading is all about.

So please let me know why you prefer an inline and scoped rifles. I really want to understand.

To be clear, I bought a T/C Impact SB, because T/C stopped making rifles and I wanted a quality rifle at a low cost. I never shot it.

We all have our own passions and what we love. I just so happen to love Hawkens, muzzleloading shotguns and inlines. I also enjoy hunting with a handgun during rifle season, so what do I know :D

Back