Why is the dreaded 'crud ring'...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to ask, so I can understand, is the crud ring caused by the cap? It may be better or worse with different granulations of powder, but the constant appears to be the cap.

I have to ask, so I can understand, is the crud ring caused by the cap? It may be better or worse with different granulations of powder, but the constant appears to be the cap.
Yes it is caused by the Cap or primer. It is my experience that different rifles have various levels of problems with it. Example, I have a Perdersoli Frontier .36, If I use a Magnum #11 it forms a crud ring, this is a sidelock rifle with a patent breech. If I use a regular #11 cap no problem. My TC Omega is really bad is this regard. My Knight Disc Extreme Bare Primer not anywhere near as bad, FPJ as bad as my Omega. I think what I am seeing here is the Bare Primer sits further back from the charge so there is less flame and heat hitting the charge. I only use Winchester 209 primers in my inlines. Hope this helps. I just swab between shots and don't worry about it.

I shot my Knight Super Disc 8 times yesterday. Used T7 209 primers. 65 grains by weight of T7. Used a spit patch between shots and yes I could feel the crud ring. But it removes easily with the spit patch, I do think a guy would run into trouble quickly if not swabbing between shots. I swab between shots no matter what powder I use. I think I get more consistent barrel conditions that way. Consistantcy is the name of the game. At least it works for me.

I have also experienced the dreaded crud ring with T7 found that none mag primers in my inline helped tremendously but still had it. Recently switched to the Shooter world Mutlipurpoase Black. About 70 pfs slower that T7 but the crud ring is gone. I have learned with mag primers and T7 the charge appears to move forward a tiny bit prior to ignition and that us what I believe causing the crud ring. IMHO

I have also experienced the dreaded crud ring with T7 found that none mag primers in my inline helped tremendously but still had it. Recently switched to the Shooter world Mutlipurpoase Black. About 70 pfs slower that T7 but the crud ring is gone. I have learned with mag primers and T7 the charge appears to move forward a tiny bit prior to ignition and that us what I believe causing the crud ring. IMHO
Blackhorn is an even better option! That's if you can find any and you can afford it!

Blackhorn is an even better option! That's if you can find any and you can afford it!
I wish it was not so pricey I would get some and try it for plinking I have about 8 oz after an old 10 oz can but I am saving that for my 50 cal for hunting and I have other powders stocked up. If I can get some reasonable again I would be set

I wish it was not so pricey I would get some and try it for plinking I have about 8 oz after an old 10 oz can but I am saving that for my 50 cal for hunting and I have other powders stocked up. If I can get some reasonable again I would be set
Durn stuff is so high it will give you a nose bleed just trying to take container of it anywhere close to a ck-out counter. I may try some if it ever gets to the $25 mark

Ive been shooting black powder and subs for 35 years. Only shot a few blackhorn loads. I'm still here and still loving it. Killed a crap pile of deer using all that dirty powder.
I think that most of the older guys that have been shooting muzzleloaders for 3,4,5 decades all started out with & have shot plenty of Goex & Pyrodex, including myself. I do not & have not shot either one for a very long time, I use either T7 or BH 209 & am making the shift over to some smokeless rigs now. I have no prob or complaints with T7, I've been stocking up on it this past yr to shoot it in all my MLs except for my 2 BH 209 guns.

I have 1 unopened container of BH209. I am saving it for travel so I dont have to worry about my gun after I shoot. Other than that I have probably 25 lbs of powder between different Pyrodex, T7, Holy Swiss, and even a few APP. On the other hand if I throw a bucket in the truck with some WD40 I can scrub it anywhere there is water. Hose it down with the WD40 and finish it when I get home. Just talked myself out of buying any more 209. Thank You

I think that most of the older guys that have been shooting muzzleloaders for 3,4,5 decades all started out with & have shot plenty of Goex & Pyrodex
With those powders, a lilttle APP, and PRBs we killed deer by the truckload. House would stink like rotten eggs at the end of the day. Loved every minute every second of it.

I know there are a lot of haters on Pyrodex! Normally I shoot Swiss or Shutzen Black. Having said that I have been shooting Pyrodex since the 70s. I have never had any corrosion issues with it, proper firearms maintenance is required, with all propellants. I can say that Pyrodex Select is the most consitent powder I have ever shot, now to be fair, not in a muzzle loader but a BPCR rifle. I have a 45-100 (45-2.6), this rifle is highly sensitive to neck tension, it has a custom cut chamber for Paper Patch bullets and a tapered bore. With a weighted charge of 70 grains Select, thumb seated bullet a SD of 2 is normal. I have come close with other powders and the key is close. If you shoot Pyrodex maintain your firearm and there will be not problems. I have only been shooting T7 for about 3 1/2 years and have never shot BH209, or any of the other Subs.

I think that most of the older guys that have been shooting muzzleloaders for 3,4,5 decades all started out with & have shot plenty of Goex & Pyrodex, including myself. I do not & have not shot either one for a very long time, I use either T7 or BH 209 & am making the shift over to some smokeless rigs now. I have no prob or complaints with T7, I've been stocking up on it this past yr to shoot it in all my MLs except for my 2 BH 209 guns.
I totally agree. I have shot the Holy black most of my life and pyrodex. I have never been sorry. Always had fun with family get togethers and turkey shoots. Always good fun. recently been reloading 12 ga shells for dove season and just fun shells with all the smoke. Thinking about all the years shooting BP and sitting drinking coffee with buddies talking about the new this or that. I all came back to the Holy black that got us all started. Good times for sure.

Back