Why no knife forum ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it does, I suspect more than a few of these found their way to Vietnam.
Knives have always found their way to wars. Soldiers would often make their own or commission a local blacksmith to make one. The Confederate D guard Bowie is a good example of this. Other knives have seen action including the famous and collectable Ka-Bar. Cattaragus is another brand who made a fighting knife. There are many others ,it would be fun to explore some of these I'm really hoping folks have an interest in creating a knife sub forum. I'll do my best to keep it interesting.

Just curious...do the flint knives ever get dull an can they be sharpened? re knapped?
Yes they can be resharpened , however your removing material so the blade will be increasingly smaller and more delicate . I suspect it was probably just as easy to make a new blade or point. They are extremely sharp especially the obsidian blades.
I'll try to post some more pictures of some done in chert.IMG_20190611_093959898.jpg

Just for fun can anyone identify this rusty relic? What was it? When was it used? How was it modified?IMG_20190701_122545568.jpg

I'm not much for knives, yet have a couple for hunting (Buck) and a couple for cutting odds & ends. Two old Uncle Henry filet knives that nobody touches except ME!

However I do have a couple older knives that I've put up.

IMG_1701.JPG

One of my favorites.

EK Commando. This one is especially rare due to the markings and limited production before EK cutoff the vendor (Hoffritz) for selling them too cheap.
3jmy6NC.jpg

I'm not much for knives, yet have a couple for hunting (Buck) and a couple for cutting odds & ends. Two old Uncle Henry filet knives that nobody touches except ME!

However I do have a couple older knives that I've put up.

View attachment 4731
Ha ha totally understand that !Once you get the edge you like you sure don't want anyone to mess it up. Top two look Scandinavian love that horse head. The deer foot I'd guess is German. And the swing guard I'm guessing is American.

One of my favorites.

EK Commando. This one is especially rare due to the markings and limited production before EK cutoff the vendor (Hoffritz) for selling them too cheap.
3jmy6NC.jpg
Got one word for that: SWEET!

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner! You are correct sir. This is the model 1905 bayonet cut down for the M1 Garand . If memory serves these were originally made for the Springfield rifle of 1903.

This next one is so easy I'll only show the handle. I'll make it a little more difficult by asking ,county of origin? What rifle did it fit. And bonus question what style of blade does it have?IMG_20190701_123359834.jpg

Answer : French Chassepot bayonet fits the Fusil modele 1866. Has a Yatagan style blade .
The suspense was killing me lol.

My daily carry for years was a Kershaw Blur. Excellent "assisted opening" knife for the money. Not sure if the newer models are the same but the handle inserts on mine are not soft. More like a machined metal. They also have two blade steel offerings, S30V being the better of the two steels offered. I have one of each.

I also carried a Boker Top Lock for years. Our laws changed and now its illegal to carry it. Legal to own but not to carry. I have another Boker "auto" too. Its very rare. You can still buy it but not with the same locking system. They were hit with a patent infringement suit and had to change it. The lock switch, locked the open button so it would not open accidentally. IIRC it was Spyderco or Benchmade that holds the patent.

Last edited:
I carried a blur for a long time myself loved the knife lost it somewhere while riding my motorcycle. If anybody finds it I want it back!
Not familiar with that Boker. I think the only one I have is Agentina made maybe an arbolito? Can't remember.

Yes I totally agree ! It wouldn't detract from anything else here just add another topic.

Latest posts

Back