WI Define "Rifle"

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweed

Reaction score
First post here so please give me a break...

My very small piece of public is in a municipality that doesn't allow "rifles". Doesn't give any further description. In WI is a rifled muzzy LEGALLY considered a rifle?

I know before some law changes that generally speaking if a place allowed shotguns, they'd allow muzzleloaders.

Welcome to the forum!

I can't speak to the laws in WI but I can tell you it is a pretty sticky situation in TN (Google hunting in city limits in Tennessee and read up). Basically, where I live, the state law is that you can hunt within city limits as long as you have permission AND hunt/shoot at least 100 yards from a visible building/home.

HOWEVER...The city law prohibits it. What has happened and has been taken to court is the local authorities could arrest you for shooting within the city limits but if tested in court, and this has been done, the state law should, and that's a big should, take precedent. So, basically, is a hunter willing to take this chance?

Have you talked with your local game warden about it?

Wow just using a term like rifle can open up a whole can of worms! The definition of the term "rifle" could mean any long gun (centerfire, rimfire, or muzzleloader) with a barrel length over 16" and a bore with spiraled lands and grooves (rifling). A shotgun, smoothbore muzzleloader or handgun would not fit this description.

I'd say any gun fired from the shoulder, having a smooth bore or barrel having lands and grooves [rifling] that shoots a single projectile. The single projectile would set it apart from any other weapon using shot or multiple projectiles.

The permission slip I have has a section for archery, shotgun and small game.

Now here's the kickerr....I asked about the small game and the officer said for. 22s after I asked another officer that didn't know....

good luck on everyone's opinion. i live in wi. and if i wanted the answer to this i would call the dnr and after that probably call the town.
bob noffs

Latest posts

Back