Wild Turkey/Snow Goose Noodle Soup

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caniborrowsomeammo

Reaction score
I breast my birds out and use the rest for a hearty noodle soup.
I use a pressure cooker, 6-8 quart (I use an electric 8 qt., so much easier than stovetop, (hey, I'm getting lazy in my waning days))
Cut the carcass up and try and cover with water, I add about a teaspoon of cumin and a t. of Italian seasoning to the water, a little pepper, and a bit of salt, pressure cook for 45 minutes, long enough to get the meat off the bones easily.
Take carcass out of hot water to cool enough to handle.
While you are cooling/getting the meat off the bones add an onion or two, halved and sliced, and a bunch of sliced crossways celery stalks and 5-6 good-sized sliced carrots to the water in the pot and boil till carrots are fork-tender.
Take the vegetables out of the water and put them in a bowl, then, in the soup water boil the Egg noodles (12-16 oz.) till al dente or however you like them. When noodles are done to your liking, add back the veggies and your shredded meat. Stir it all up, have a small bowl to feel a sense of accomplishment (hey, you are hungry anyway), and put the rest in the fridge overnight for tomorrow's lunch/dinner. I do this as the flavors meld together overnight.
Make yourself a nice homemade loaf of bread or some buttermilk biscuits to go with the soup if you feel up to it.
Bread and biscuit recipes will follow if requested.

One of the main things i do when making noodle soups is i always cook the noodles seperately and never add them to the actual soup until its in the bowl. Fill the bowl with the cooked noodles and pour the piping hot soup over them. Soup/stock keeps well in the fridge but if it has noodles in them....not so much.

Also look up "Cantonese Duck Noodles" or Korean "Dak Kalguksu". I bet goose would be a interesting twist on either of these noodle soups and the ingredients are not all that different from western chicken noodle soups. Neither one is normally spicy or strongly spiced. Its all about the noodles and the homemade stock.

I had a turkey carcass and snow goose carcass in the freezer and had to make room. Turkey season starts here this month. I have about a dozen toms around here, soon as season hits, BOOM, they disappear. They make me work for them. The hens are already starting to set here, early spring.
I prefer my noodles to soak in the broth overnight to really flavor them.

Latest posts

Back