Will be experimenting with conicals

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporting member
Reaction score
I shoot a Wolf.
Current load 100 gr. loose T7 with GT Bullet 305 gr. .430 and MMP sabot.
Chrony at 1800 fps
Am very happy with this current load for accuracy and killing power but my personal problem is I love to shoot and experiment with different loads, bullet styles, etc. T7 will be the only powder I will use. I have Winchester 209's and that will be the only primer I will use. I will use a spit patch to clean and a patch to dry between each shot. Ill shoot 3 shot for every powder charge.

I have from years ago 250 count of 450 gr. PR bullets Ultimate 1 conical hollow point in 450 gr. They have a hollow base. I did shoot a few of them last summer and they were fair in accuracy with 1.75 inches apart at 75 yards. Good enough for where I hunt but as stated, I like to shoot. No wads or cornmeal. That was with 100 gr. (v) of loose T7.

1. I intend to start with 70 gr. (v) loose T7 and move up in 5 gr. increments.
2. How many gr. (v) of cornmeal. Do I need to try multiple volumes of cornmeal.???
3. Wads, which wads and what size.

so my first round of testing will go something like this.
70 gr. (v) T7 x many gr(v) cornmeal 450 (gr) conical. take 3 shots and evaluate.
75 gr. (v) T7 x many gr(v) cornmeal 450 (gr) conical. take 3 shots and evaluate.
80 gr. (v) T7 x many gr(v) cornmeal 450 (gr) conical. take 3 shots and evaluate.
85 gr. (v) T7 x many gr(v) cornmeal 450 (gr) conical. take 3 shots and evaluate.
90 gr. (v) T7 x many gr(v) cornmeal 450 (gr) conical. take 3 shots and evaluate.
95 gr. (v) T7 x many gr(v) cornmeal 450 (gr) conical. take 3 shots and evaluate.
100 gr. (v) T7 x many gr(v) cornmeal 450 (gr) conical. take 3 shots and evaluate.
Frankly if I dont see the accuracy I want by the time I hit 100gr.(v) of T7 I will not go more.

Ill repeat the above with wads.

Any thought, guidance, ideas, will be appreciated.

I shoot a Wolf.
Current load 100 gr. loose T7 with GT Bullet 305 gr. .430 and MMP sabot.
Chrony at 1800 fps
Am very happy with this current load for accuracy and killing power but my personal problem is I love to shoot and experiment with different loads, bullet styles, etc. T7 will be the only powder I will use. I have Winchester 209's and that will be the only primer I will use. I will use a spit patch to clean and a patch to dry between each shot. Ill shoot 3 shot for every powder charge.

I have from years ago 250 count of 450 gr. PR bullets Ultimate 1 conical hollow point in 450 gr. They have a hollow base. I did shoot a few of them last summer and they were fair in accuracy with 1.75 inches apart at 75 yards. Good enough for where I hunt but as stated, I like to shoot. No wads or cornmeal. That was with 100 gr. (v) of loose T7.

1. I intend to start with 70 gr. (v) loose T7 and move up in 5 gr. increments.
2. How many gr. (v) of cornmeal. Do I need to try multiple volumes of cornmeal.???
3. Wads, which wads and what size.

so my first round of testing will go something like this.
70 gr. (v) T7 x many gr(v) cornmeal 450 (gr) conical. take 3 shots and evaluate.
75 gr. (v) T7 x many gr(v) cornmeal 450 (gr) conical. take 3 shots and evaluate.
80 gr. (v) T7 x many gr(v) cornmeal 450 (gr) conical. take 3 shots and evaluate.
85 gr. (v) T7 x many gr(v) cornmeal 450 (gr) conical. take 3 shots and evaluate.
90 gr. (v) T7 x many gr(v) cornmeal 450 (gr) conical. take 3 shots and evaluate.
95 gr. (v) T7 x many gr(v) cornmeal 450 (gr) conical. take 3 shots and evaluate.
100 gr. (v) T7 x many gr(v) cornmeal 450 (gr) conical. take 3 shots and evaluate.
Frankly if I dont see the accuracy I want by the time I hit 100gr.(v) of T7 I will not go more.

Ill repeat the above with wads.

Any thought, guidance, ideas, will be appreciated.
I just developed a load for my 410 White that has a hb 400gr bullet . I tried the BLL lube i learned of on the casting forum , page 2 , bh209 lube . Yes i wrote a detailed post there and on the DWB forum , "The White that never was " iirc its called . Check it out . Great stuff for my combo !!! Something there may help you .
I also want to try a 1/2 a cotton ball idaholewis spoke of for a hb bullet . Dont really know how much better it will shoot than 1 ragged hole @100yds though !!! Who knows ??? Gonna try it !!! My scope is only 1x6 variable too so its not like i could see Mars either lol . Hope something can help you for your needs !!!

Last edited:
Those conicals have no lube on them. Ive shot them before but mine were the 45cals. I used a mix of Alox and Lyman Super Moly. Moly can be a pain to remove but it worked good with the Ultimate 1 conicals.

Thank you Sideshow and GM54-120. I need to start gather some product. I am interested in the cotton balls also. I am curious why 1/2 cotton ball vs a full cotton ball. Not doubting Idaholewis I just want to understand.

Snapbang
From what i understand of Lewis using 1/2 cotton ball is all you need to do is fill the HB of the bullet. Put your favorite oil on cotton ball and squeeze it almost dry. I read his load and it was : powder, wad, cotton, bullet. The base does the steering and must be protected.
DL

been shooting conical or PP since 2001 , not much experimenting needs done if you got right barrel and use black powder. wad under flat base and maybe one under PP with cup base. Got to watch can get wedged into cup base. I only ever used PP with cup base and tucked paper tale into base which protects it

Can you post a photo of the bullet?

I use Cream of Wheat as a filler in my 450x3.25” BPE cartridge rifles, guess it could be used as a wad..

I know that there is supposed to be no dumb question?? Well Ill test that theory right now. What if after getting my round loaded I used a light oil patch to lube the inside of the barrel. Say a light coat of WD-40, 3 in 1 oil, or hopps gun oil????? Instead of putting a lube on the bullet????

I know that there is supposed to be no dumb question?? Well Ill test that theory right now. What if after getting my round loaded I used a light oil patch to lube the inside of the barrel. Say a light coat of WD-40, 3 in 1 oil, or hopps gun oil????? Instead of putting a lube on the bullet????
nope taking a bad chance of leading

Back