Will Federal Bor lock 350 gr lead expand at pistol velocities?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jem44357

Reaction score
I have searched and only found info for rifle length barrels.

Attachments

• 20201111_103734.jpg
    20201111_103734.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 11
I've read mixed reviews about their performance out of rifles barrels. Not sure I would fully trust them to open up reliably at 14 inch Optima pistol barrel velocities.

Which pistol? What's the charge pushing the bullet. I shoot the Optima like Chris and shoot only two bullets in it that I know work: a 240 grain, .44 cal XTP and a Barnes 225 grain, .44 cal XPB [current bullet]. I know the bor-locs look attractive with the built in plastic seal instead of a sabot, but even with the lead bullet I'd be concerned about terminal performance at in-line velocities, even in the Optima pistol.

I shot a bunch of Bor-Locs, maybe copper plated or jacketed instead of plain lead, in my Accura and they are very accurate but I have no idea how they would have done on deer. The two bullets I mentioned have both taken several deer in the Optima pistol with the most recent being yesterday dropping a doe. In the last eight prior years the 240 grain XTP took a 9 point buck and several does. These two bullets have a proven track record in my pistol and I think in any in-line pistol they'd excel as long as the gun can be driven a touch harder.

I've read mixed reviews about their performance out of rifles barrels. Not sure I would fully trust them to open up reliably at 14 inch Optima pistol barrel velocities.
I see that about the 270gr copper but not finding anything on the 350gr lead.

Which pistol? What's the charge pushing the bullet. I shoot the Optima like Chris and shoot only two bullets in it that I know work: a 240 grain, .44 cal XTP and a Barnes 225 grain, .44 cal XPB [current bullet]. I know the bor-locs look attractive with the built in plastic seal instead of a sabot, but even with the lead bullet I'd be concerned about terminal performance at in-line velocities, even in the Optima pistol.

I shot a bunch of Bor-Locs, maybe copper plated or jacketed instead of plain lead, in my Accura and they are very accurate but I have no idea how they would have done on deer. The two bullets I mentioned have both taken several deer in the Optima pistol with the most recent being yesterday dropping a doe. In the last eight prior years the 240 grain XTP took a 9 point buck and several does. These two bullets have a proven track record in my pistol and I think in any in-line pistol they'd excel as long as the gun can be driven a touch harder.
T/C Scout prodably 80-90 gr ff.

At 350 grains with a 90 grain charge of powder that scout is going to be a real bucker. I do the equivalent of 90 in my Optima but the bullets weight is considerably less and that gun kicks like a fly bit mule.

Why not take a cardboard box and fill it with layers of wet newspaper until its full and do a quick performance test....see what the bullet looks like. If it opens up nice, try it on a critter. What's the old adage....the proof's in the pudding?

I see that about the 270gr copper but not finding anything on the 350gr lead.
My bad....I saw BorLock and assumed it was the copper version. Didn't look closely enough at the photo. I still feel skeptical that they will expand reliably out of that T/C Scout with it's 12" barrel length.....though I've been wrong before. Starting velocity is going to be well below that of a 24-28 inch barreled rifle and with expansion, velocity and energy is the key. Shooting them without the tips may help with expansion but I'd still be leery. I agree with Tom that an actual pistol bullet like the 240 gr XTP or similar would probably provide a higher level of reliability in expansion and be more pleasant to shoot. My Optima pistol with a 90 gr charge and a 300 gr bullet was getting into the unpleasant category. I can only imagine the recoil with a 350 gr bullet and a 90 gr charge. Currently, I shoot the 225 gr Barnes XPB but have also had good results with the 240 Hornady XTP.

Last edited:
At 350 grains with a 90 grain charge of powder that scout is going to be a real bucker. I do the equivalent of 90 in my Optima but the bullets weight is considerably less and that gun kicks like a fly bit mule.

Why not take a cardboard box and fill it with layers of wet newspaper until its full and do a quick performance test....see what the bullet looks like. If it opens up nice, try it on a critter. What's the old adage....the proof's in the pudding?
I have shot mine with 470gr T/C maxi hunters... thats a kicker!

If i was going to play the full bore game with a pistol i would look at 50cal bullets made for that kind of speed. Ive shot both these bullets in 54x50cal sabots. Both are quite nasty performers.

Maybe one more session but I think I'll leave it. First pic 3 shots at 25yd. Next pic 3 shots 50yd. The high right was the result of a fail to fire followed up with a hang fire too much #13.20201112_134411.jpg20201112_140507.jpg

They seem to shoot pretty well out of that Scout. Good luck

Last edited:
Final sight in 25 yd 80gr 2f 240gr XTP. 2 high left to verify last sessions. Adjust scope 2 low right. Tweaked it back and final shot 👌!20201113_160159.jpg

If you can test BHN (hardness) you"ll know before you shoot ,if it's not pure forget it . And 99 percent sure it"s not . But I have been wrong before:wall:

They didn’t perform all that great in Ron’s bullet testing at lower velocity. Have you chronographed them from the scout?

Back