Will recoil bend steel?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How thick does a mild steel plate need to be in order to withstand the recoil from a .454 casull, a shotgun slug, a musket or a rifle cartridge, without support?

This picture explains the concept:

2FC59697-2229-4DBA-BFF5-F27A619BD7E4.jpeg

The barrel (grey) is attached to the steel plate (black), and the steel plate is attached to the ground (green).

Your shooting at the barrel?
No, I’m shooting from the barrel. I’m curious about the recoil the barrel will generate in a setup like this. If the steel will bend instantly, overtime or not at all if the plate is thick enough. The barrel is a solid piece, with a closed breach. Here’s a better explanation:
3C5FC52F-535C-4A1A-BC21-1E64C4153CB5.jpeg

If I'm pickn up what your puttn down, this is some kind of home made something?
Kind of, I’m working on a project with multiple barrels where some barrels will have to be supported only by a steel plate like this. It’s basically a flat pepperbox. It’s somewhat similar to a revolver without a top strap, like the colt walker.

The width of the plate is 0.78 inch and the weight of each barrel is 7-10 ounces (don’t know exactly yet). The weight of the projectile is 230 grains.

The issue I face is that I can’t mount a perpendicular support at the top, because it get infront of the mechanism that’s manipulated by the thumb, like a hammer. I can solve that by putting the barrels at the bottom similar to this: https://sheepdogtheory.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/hand_held_multi_barreled1755.jpg

However, I think the weight of the gun and the recoil of the bottom barrels will be weird with that design.

Therefore, I thought this would be a better approach:
E76FC094-7152-4EFE-93DF-433820ACF74B.jpeg

My initial and present idea is that the frame will be cut out from a 0.27 inch thick steel L-profile. I thought 0.27 inch steel with a width of 0.78 should be enough to prevent bending from recoil without support, but I don’t know for sure. I’ve seen people bending thick steel bars.

Since multiple barrels will be attached right next to eachother (to the frame but not to eachother), they might prevent the steel plate from bending by giving support to eachother at the rear? Like this: 3E5D696D-0C76-4435-A7DD-749F9EA1363C.jpeg

Last edited:
Forget the added handgrip, continued force from that lateral angle is destined to fail eventually. Now, you could integrate the grip and the multiple barrel steel support plate. Would be a big blank or some professional welding.
I guess carbon fiber or polymer and steel together might could work. Sure the rage these days. Sticking to a low recoil load should help longevity.

Why use mild steel? Chromemoly is far stronger. A forging with diagonal grains would be even better, like the recoil shield on a revolver is shaped.

A hand holding the grip would absorb most of the recoil and rotational force applied. If you were to fix the grip, meaning say bolt it to a large mass that is not moving, the force on the steel plate will now be much different. A piece of 1018 steel vs chromemoly is significantly different in strength. The moment also plays a significant impact, in other words, the length of the steel plate. The further the distance between the grip and barrel, the less effort it takes to bend.
Solidworks analysis would be a quick easy way to figure it out if you are trying to get the minimum steel plate required. If I knew all the dimensions on the steel and the alloy, I could tell you how much force will permanently bend it. It would be assuming the grip is fixed which is not realistic.
The mass of the barrel will absorb recoil too which in turn places less force on the steel plate to some extent.

Latest posts

Back