Williams Peep Sight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been considering changing from open sights to a peep sight on my Traditions Deerhunter rifle. I found a Williams Peep that will fit an octogon barrel.
I see that a few folks have peep and or ghost ring sights. I've never had one, only iron sights or scopes.
Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks in advance.

I’m fond of them for a hunting sight. I have found though once the windage screw is tightened, it tilts the peep backwards a bit. I shim the back of the peep at the dovetail as to keep it level. Anywhere from 6 to 8 thousandths shim.
Pic of two I enhanced with the sight .CF28A657-12C1-4138-8452-65034111D695.jpeg

I have peeps on 2 of my 3 ML rifles and I really like them for hunting. I think Lewis has them on most of his rifles that I have seen on the forums. He is the go to guy that I would ask.

I have a Williams peep on my TC Hawken. I like the sight more than iron sights and I can shoot a little faster than with iron. I have a bigger peep hole so it is ok for hunting. I can , if I wish buy a smaller peep hole and will likely improve my accuracy. However , very small groups are great, but to me it is more for hunting so a bigger peep hole is well worth keeping if I can get on a deers vitals in short order. A small peep hole makes for a very hard hunting sight but they are better for targets. I am plenty good with my peep sight and 2 -2 1/2" @ 50 yds is plenty good enough for me. I dont get fliers neither . My bullet holes are in , or very close to a 2" bullseye, no fliers and many bullets are touching , but then I get one about 2" away from the rest , but it is still about 2 -2 1/2" groups and seldom more than 3" so I am good.

Last edited:
I've been considering changing from open sights to a peep sight on my Traditions Deerhunter rifle. I found a Williams Peep that will fit an octogon barrel.
I see that a few folks have peep and or ghost ring sights. I've never had one, only iron sights or scopes.
Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks in advance.

I really think you will like a Peep sight, I swear by them! I shoot Targets almost Exclusively with my Muzzleloaders, I prefer a Peep that is Mounted back at the Tang of the Rifle (just what i am use to) I Recently Mounted, and Shot a Skinner Sight on my Dad’s TC Renegade, I feel it was a Great Hunting Sight, But I personally didn’t like that it was so far Forward, My Dad absolutely loves it! It’s all in what we Get use to, I believe you will like a Peep Sight regardless of where it Sits, and since you haven’t Shot 1 or the other, You are not Set in your Ways, and will Adjust to whatever you put on.

Here is another one that will fit your Traditions Deer Hunter, I have never tried one of these, so I cannot speak for them?
https://rmcoxyoke.com/product/rmc-aim-right-closed-peep-sights/

You are probably talking about this one though?

dZSfbEL.jpg

Being over 50 I use peep sights, they are faster than regular sights and much easier to use with aging eyes IMO.:)

I FULLY Agree! I would be Lost without my Peep Sights, they are the KEY to my Target Shooting Success :lewis: Fact is, My eyesight is not very Good, My Peep sights help me see like i did when i was Younger. It is AMAZING how much difference it makes when we are Forced to look Through a Tiny Hole

Last edited:
I've used peeps quite a bit. My GPR has them now. I started out with a 52D, & 40XB target rifle in high school JROTC in '67.
Then to a blade front on a USN Norfolk Garand school team around '72. When I hunt I'll switch to a larger peep than I use on the bench. I think their great. Same principle as the adjustable Merit Gunsite eye piece.

Attachments

• IMG_20200329_083529783.jpg
    IMG_20200329_083529783.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 6
I decided on this one as I already have the Williams Sights on the rifle and this one will drop in on the rear sight ramp, or so I'm told.

Attachments

• williams-ghost-ring-sight_3.jpg
    williams-ghost-ring-sight_3.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 6
Question for u guys....when hunting in dense, dark cover, do you ever have any difficulty picking up the sights? I have never used a peep but would like to try

Question for u guys....when hunting in dense, dark cover, do you ever have any difficulty picking up the sights? I have never used a peep but would like to try
The fiber optics do make a big dif when there's less light. That ghost ring fiber optic is a great sight from williams. Especially when combined with a fiber optic front sight.

My Particular Peep sight setups are HORRIBLE at best in low light, I would rate mine as about the Worst Peep Sight Setup there is for Hunting in Low light Conditions. Mine are geared at Target Shooting in Good Light.

Good morning 10ring1.
I don't use the normal target peeps, but generally a much larger peep even for target work. All of mine our home made and I have the best luck with those that are fully mounted entirely on the barrel. It seems like, with my Hawkins type guns, when I put one on the Tang, I'm suspicious that it always returns to 0. I do have one that I put on a Flintlock that mounts where the rear sight goes. What I did, was take an old rear sight, and braze a a 3/16 flat washer on the end of it.It's rather a pretty thick ring with a large hole and I find it very effective even for target work considering the closer distance between sights. There is anther + for hunting, as I can see around it as well as through it. I did use a Lyman 57 for a while on my Flintlock, but I also discovered that Micrometer, adjustments on a muzzleloader is kind of blowing smoke. I see other shooters at the matches I go to, Fiddling with them constantly one or two clicks, and I don't think it makes a whole much difference but to each his own.
Squint

Good morning 10ring1.
I don't use the normal target peeps, but generally a much larger peep even for target work. All of mine our home made and I have the best luck with those that are fully mounted entirely on the barrel. It seems like, with my Hawkins type guns, when I put one on the Tang, I'm suspicious that it always returns to 0. I do have one that I put on a Flintlock that mounts where the rear sight goes. What I did, was take an old rear sight, and braze a a 3/16 flat washer on the end of it.It's rather a pretty thick ring with a large hole and I find it very effective even for target work considering the closer distance between sights. There is anther + for hunting, as I can see around it as well as through it. I did use a Lyman 57 for a while on my Flintlock, but I also discovered that Micrometer, adjustments on a muzzleloader is kind of blowing smoke. I see other shooters at the matches I go to, Fiddling with them constantly one or two clicks, and I don't think it makes a whole much difference but to each his own.
Squint
I actually considered doing that. I was going to solder an old penny on to a rear sight and drill a tiny hole in it. Whatever size hole you want if you have the right bit.

Back