Williams Western Precision Sight Questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tdmouse29

Reaction score
Just bought an Accura this year and have been using the irons that come with it. They work and I have harvested animals with it but looking for something a little more fined tuned.
I live in IDAHO so that means no scopes, magnified sights, or anything along those lines.
Are the Williams Western precision sight sets a great alternative for the irons that come on the CVAs? Has anyone with an Accura used these?
Thanks guys!

I like sights that I can adjust in the field. I get my range set the sight and shot the shot holding dead on. The sights you mention are pretty much set it and you have to hold high and let it fly.
There is way to much guessing for me.

I helped a guy to set up a rifle with better sights. His problem was it had a round receiver and Williams does not make a sight that is field adjustable with a round top. So I talked him into using a weaver scope mount and using long screws to go through both the sight and the mount. He added a Lyman AHB globe sight to the front. And Lee shavers inserts for fine aiming. I also had him add a Gib Lock screw for field adjustments.
He can now use a range finder get the distance. Set the sight and hold dead on the animal.

lxdlcra.jpg

pqEKsOw.jpg

yeYoGb6.jpg

zAyfqYa.jpg

sYiyLMO.jpg

0WBE8fl.jpg

OPqdP1f.jpg

How would you dial it in? Would you need to set it depending on muzzle velocity? Because it can’t be the same for every gun and load?

How would you dial it in? Would you need to set it depending on muzzle velocity? Because it can’t be the same for every gun and load?

You have to shoot the gun to figure out the dope on it. On my Lyman 57 SML peeps I shot it with the load I use. I got the distances in 50 yard increments. I confirmed these marks over several range sessions. Now years later the marks are still 100% on for each yardage.

h3LfwZ6.jpg

Do you just make the marks yourself? Man, I like that idea! What sight would you recommend for the accura? I would need to find a weaver mount as well.

Do you just make the marks yourself? Man, I like that idea! What sight would you recommend for the accura? I would need to find a weaver mount as well.

Yes the white marks are ones I put on the sight. I shot the gun at 50 yard increments between 50 and 300 yards. Made my marks and confirmed them many times. Then put a coating of clear nail polish on them to protect them. I made the 248 yard shot on my bull this year because I ranged the shot set the sight and held right where I wanted to hit. Without that ability I would have had to aim like 4 foot high. That is not ethical or reasonable.

The sight above on the inline gun is the Williams FP sight for flat top MK85. Target knobs and a Gib Lock screw were added after. I came up with the idea to use a Weaver base and a FP sight on round top guns after installing my sights on my MK85's. That method could be used on any make of rifle as long as the slide cleared the edge of the rifle's receiver and stock.

These pictures are of one of my MK85's.
The ramp on the front sight is tall.

OGXCidf.jpg

I had to add a shim under the rear sight to get full range of motion on the slider for the rear sight. Because I added the shim under the rear sight I had to use a cheek pad to get a proper cheek weld on the stock.
I had to jump through a couple hoops setting it up but it is spot on out to 300 yards.

QSPL1Rf.jpg

7MAWVW8.jpg

6Xb7qpC.jpg

I will have to try that. Mind if I send you a PM when I get the stuff all ordered? It might be a few weeks but I like the set up you have!

I will have to try that. Mind if I send you a PM when I get the stuff all ordered? It might be a few weeks but I like the set up you have!

No problem at all. What part of Idaho do you live in?

How about this one from williams western precision. Looks cool with different sights in the globe.

I am an Idaho muzzleloader hunter as well and looking for setting up mine similar to what is being shown here in this thread. Which Lyman front sight is that in the picture? I am using the Williams Fire Sight Aluminum front sight rail that allows for a 3/8 dovetail or bolt on aperture. I have attached a Lyman #17 AML front target sight. I am looking for a better option for the rear peep.
idahoron
I have a knight wolverine 50 cal and I was wondering if you knew if the rear sight you mentioned would work with mine?

I am an Idaho muzzleloader hunter as well and looking for setting up mine similar to what is being shown here in this thread. Which Lyman front sight is that in the picture? I am using the Williams Fire Sight Aluminum front sight rail that allows for a 3/8 dovetail or bolt on aperture. I have attached a Lyman #17 AML front target sight. I am looking for a better option for the rear peep.
idahoron
I have a knight wolverine 50 cal and I was wondering if you knew if the rear sight you mentioned would work with mine?

You should call Williams and see if they have a sight that would fit.

Just bought an Accura this year and have been using the irons that come with it. They work and I have harvested animals with it but looking for something a little more fined tuned.
I live in IDAHO so that means no scopes, magnified sights, or anything along those lines.
Are the Williams Western precision sight sets a great alternative for the irons that come on the CVAs? Has anyone with an Accura used these?
Thanks guys!
I’m curious about the Williams Sight as well. I have read that the low light hunting abilities of this one are not good? I’d like to hear from someone who has actually used it at the end or beginning of legal shooting light.

Three things first. I am in Idaho, I am extremely far sighted, and I was strictly a bowhunter for years.
This year I jumped through all sorts of hoops trying to get peeps to work for me. The only success I had was in bright daylight. In lower light conditions the front sight became so fuzzy I could not in good conscience take a shot at a game animal. I have used peeps in the past with success, but those days are gone.
Having been a bowhunter for years, if I see an animal at 50 yards my automatic thought is I have to get closer, so I am not concerned about in the field adjustments.
All of that said, if you are having difficulty seeing your sights, have valid vision problems you are dealing with, and wish to use a scope, the state of ID will issue a reasonable accomodation. It requires a form to be filled out by you and the eyeball doc, and $1.75. The process was painless, and I spent less than 5 minutes at the IDFG office when I handed in the paperwork.
Because of the dearth of 1X scopes they will allow you to exceed the limit of 1X published in the regs. The paperwork provided to me stated up to 4X could be used.
Since I only wanted to be able to see well enough to make a humane shot, I am using a 1X scope. One could range with the duplex reticle if one wanted to.

Aren't those Lee Shaver sights? I think Lee was making his own, Lewis was a fan of them. If not, i bet he got them from BACO.

https://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com/new-style-17a-front-sight-375-d-t-0-850-height/
don't know why that wouldn't show when i looked at his site?? it does now though,, thanks much!! (internet tricked me i suppose??) p.s. which height should i buy?? i won't be shooting 400yds max.... but 99% 100yd max.. i have the lyman 57gpr on my hawken,,, i'll prob buy one of his rear sights for my other rifle though... Thanks much!!! (i would like it as low as possible since it will end up being in the deer woods) i will use the .5 inch one if it will still allow me to get sighted in close..

Last edited:
Back