Win. 209 sticking in breech plug.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod.O

Reaction score
My first post after reading all I can on my new Inline. It is a CVA Plains Rifle. Went to the outdoor range for the first time on Saturday. All went very well and I was able to sight in both my rifle and my Son's identical rifle as well. We plan on doing some Muzzle loader hunting seasons here in Utah shortly.
I did experience one problem that I had not heard of before. About 6-7 times out of about 30 + shots, the Winchester, Bluebox, primer was stuck fast in the Breech plug. I had to use the tool that came with the gun to pry those out. Some were so tight it bent the tool. The other 25 or so primers plucked out with my fingers.
Is this Normal ??
Thanks for any help.

It may be carbon , but I would check for tooling marks, one of our club members had that problem and I fixed it for her by polishing the primer pocket.

W209 primers will vary in length from 0.298" to 0.304" out of a single box of 100. Wonder if either the shortest ones, or the longest ones are the primers that stuck? Perhaps the short primers? Wonder if hitting the primer again by cocking the hammer, and pulling the trigger on the spent primer would help?

Thanks for the tip's. I will try all of them on Saturday when I shoot again..

Also, if it matters, I am using the BH 209 Breech plug with BH 209 and some were T7 2F..

IMO the type of powder that you are using, BH209 vs T7 or whatever, has absolutely NO effect on the problem of the sticking primers. When you seat a primer does it easily push into the pocket or do you have to force it in somewhat? Do the fired primers, that are difficult to remove, have any scratch type marks on the side, maybe a burr in the pocket? Is the firing pin bushing FLUSH with the receiver face and if you snap close the action on a primer can that primer be easily removed before firing, crushing primer? If it only happens with a fired primer then your problem may be the blowback as some others have said and you may want to consider the rubber O-Ring to prevent this blowback.

The fired primers are dark and sooty. I push them in as far as i can and have not tried cleaning the primer pocket or removing the primer before firing. I will note that most fired primers come right out ,following the ones that are tight. I will check for scratch marks etc.
I have read about the O rings, but do not quite understand the procedure for their use.

IMO the type of powder that you are using, BH209 vs T7 or whatever, has absolutely NO effect on the problem of the sticking primers. When you seat a primer does it easily push into the pocket or do you have to force it in somewhat? Do the fired primers, that are difficult to remove, have any scratch type marks on the side, maybe a burr in the pocket? Is the firing pin bushing FLUSH with the receiver face and if you snap close the action on a primer can that primer be easily removed before firing, crushing primer? If it only happens with a fired primer then your problem may be the blowback as some others have said and you may want to consider the rubber O-Ring to prevent this blowback.

Use THIS o-ring.

Shown here...........

IMG_4259.JPG

Placed before the primer.......

IMG_4257.JPG

Don't forget to adjust your firing pin bushing accordingly so it compresses the o-ring, without overcompressing it. If you go that route?

I've read a bit about these, how long do they last? Don't they melt and plug up stuff?

No, they don't melt, and plug up stuff. What happens when you shoot is, the rubber goes away. The o-ring gets thinner.

How long they last probably depends on the load, and on the shooter. Some shooters like to have the o-ring last as long as possible, and so use them as long as possible.

Fifteen is a conservative number of shots for replacement, 30 is possible. Replacing the o-ring after 25 shots seems safe. Trying for more than 30 shots may work OK, but may be reckless. Some may try for 40 shots.

What has happened to me a few times is the o-ring falls out unexpectedly. This seems to happen because the rubber gets thin, and weak from shooting too many shots. This i try to avoid.

Years ago, i purchased a lifetime supply of o-ring. This gave me the freedom to toss them even when they still looked good; saved postage too.

Last edited:
They're good for 20-40 shots. It'll depend on how hot the loads are. No, they don't melt and they will not plug things up. As soon as you start seeing a dirty plug, change the o-ring. A package of the O-rings will last thru several pounds of powder and for economy the rings are least expensive "positive" fix for breech plugs that want to leak at the primer.

So I just ordered the packet of O-rings. It was just under $5 for them and just under $9 for shipping. They should be ashamed on the shipping! But gotta have em. I purchased th O-rings for the firing pin a while back and same thing. Coulda put them in an envelope and used a $.50 stamp. I emailed these thoughts to them. Mike

Still WAY less than 100 of the leaky one and done Knight Red Full Plastic Jackets. You'll get up to 3000+ blow back free shots for less money.

I received an email back and they were crediting my shipping back and that they were sorry they weren't up front with the cost. I replied that everything costs money and that I just thought that was a little steep. Then thanked them .

Latest posts

Back