Winchester 209 Primers and Optima questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TWyatt

Reaction score
I'm currently using the Federal 209A primers in my wolf, and they've been great with the o-ring. Zero blowback, extremely accurate. I just got a new Optima though and today at the range, I had a couple of the Federals get stuck in the breech plug.
I shot the gun 15 times, and of those 15 times, 2-3 primers got stuck and had blowback all over them. I had to actually pry them out with a screwdriver. On the other 12 shots, the primer just fell right out and was clean as could be, o-ring or no o-ring. Any idea what caused those couple primers to get stuck and have soot all over them when the other 12 or so shots they came out perfectly clean?
Also - I've seen on here the Winchester primers mentioned several times. It seems like online and locally, everyone is sold out of primers, but I did see some Winchester primers in the blue box at a local store, but I don't believe they were the magnum primers like the 209A's I have. Would that be a better primer to use in the Optima? Or is something else going on? Using the o-ring didn't seem to have any affect either way.
I've shot the Federals about 75 times in my Wolf with zero issues out of the same pack, what caused 2 or 3 to get stuck today and blowback?

I'm not a primerotoligest but I have had the same problem. I switched up to CCI 209M and I do like them better than the win blue box. That said they still stick. Removal tool is my friend and is on my lanyard with my starter. Little orings suck!

Thanks for the response. Since it seems like everyone in the country is sold of of primers, I'll have to stick wtih my 209A's, although I did pick up some W209's today and will give those a try. I'm hoping it's just that I need to clean the flash hole more often. I cleaned it every 5-6 shots in my Wolf and have NEVER had a primer stick. Not sure why they're sticking in the Optima

A common cause of primer sticking is a carboned up flame channel. The flame channel acts as a delay by absorbing the pressure of firing as the bullet goes down the barrel. The flash hole is small relative to the volume of the flame channel so that by the time the pressure rises in the channel the bullet clears the muzzle and the pressure drop to zero. When the flame channel volume is reduced by carbon, the pressure rises rapidly and bulges the primer, causing it to stick. Some primers bulge easier than others but the primer is not the real cause of the sticking. Get a drill bit the size of your flame channel and ream out the carbon. It's really hard almost like glass.

Try NSI/Nobel 209s if you can find them. The 686 is a standard and the 688 are more or less a mag. They are slightly larger OD but long. CVA plugs run a tad large in the primer pocket. This should help to keep them from swelling. Keeping the flash CHANNEL clear will also help. The BH209 plug channel is 1/8" the regular plug is 3mm. Use the appropriate drill bit by hand. I use hex head bits and a nut driver handle.

Back