Winchester 209A Shelf Life

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaTuFu

Reaction score
I wasn't really sure where to post this.

I shot competitive Trap & Skeet back in the day before I had kids (it sounds more impressive than it was, I promise). I reloaded my own practice ammo to save money. I "retired" shortly after my first child was born, and I put most of my reloading gear in storage at my in-laws. Its been 20 years (1998 was the last time I did any shotshell reloading). I dug my powder scale out of storage to calibrate my volume measure. I discovered several boxes of Winchester 209A primers that have been in in an airtight MTM case ever since.

My question is...anyone see a problem with using these primers?

Take them out to the range and find out. At the least they should be good for practice shooting.

This year I shot up some 38 wad cutters that was loaded in 1982 all fired no problems. I also had primers dated 1980 that I used to reload some 357 mag recently and all fired no problems. I have win 209s 30 years old and I use those to season the barrel of my muzzleloader before loading. I use NEW primers for hunting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back