Winter Squirrel Hunting

Help Support Modern Muzzleloader:

Idaholewis

Supporter
Supporter
The vinegar takes out the "wild gamy" taste and makes the meat easier to wash off any hair and blood that wasn't removed before freezing.
I prefer game meat to be frozen or at least chilled for a while. I want the body heat to be out, just makes better eating. Same with venison.
That makes sense :lewis:

I seen @idahoron Sprinkle Rock salt over Boned out Deer meat to draw the Blood out, I had never seen that done before? I wish i had known his trick years ago I would like to have tried it on Blacktail Deer on the Wa coast, Those things were RANK Smelling critters when killed in the Rutt

idahoron

That makes sense :lewis:

I seen @idahoron Sprinkle Rock salt over Boned out Deer meat to draw the Blood out, I had never seen that done before? I wish i had known his trick years ago I would like to have tried it on Blacktail Deer on the Wa coast, Those things were RANK Smelling critters when killed in the Rutt
This is a picture of the salt water and ice bath. After it soaks I rinse the meat and then put it in a pillow case and let it hang to drain.

Attachments

BryanH

I also like to brine them. Salt, and sugar, mixed with water. I don’t know or have a recipe I just put “some” in there. Salt by itself will do if we’re out of sugar. It pulls blood out of the meat.

I brine everything like this, fish, venison, etc.

Most of the chicken you buy in the store has been brined some way. If you look for it on the package it says “treated with xxx percent solution” or what have you. Simply, it was brined.

toytruck

Most people never realize that the are 2 tiny grey glands under the front arm pits, if you don’t remove those, they will taste gamey no matter what you do.
Correct! There are also some glands along the belly that I remove. We used to fight over the heads as kids when growing up. I cut them off now for the varmits outside, they always disappear in a day or so.

toytruck

I wish I could see this done, I would love to Hunt Grey squirrels someday
This video shows the method I use pulling the hide off. I will have to try putting them in water first, always seem to get some hair on the meat. I cut off the legs/tail after taking down the hide which helps.

Reactions: HC

BryanH

I’m convinced there are more than 2 little glands. I pick off any little piece of white/off white or fatty looking tissue

yoyodoc

To tenderize anything soak in pineapple juice (fresh or frozen, not canned) for a couple of days.

Jbrown69

The vinegar takes out the "wild gamy" taste and makes the meat easier to wash off any hair and blood that wasn't removed before freezing.
I prefer game meat to be frozen or at least chilled for a while. I want the body heat to be out, just makes better eating. Same with venison.
Salt water also seems to take gamey taste out.

Dave 0603

What is this gamey taste. We eat a lot of squirrels. It’s one of our favorites. I guess that I will be looking for glands.

ported45

This video shows the method I use pulling the hide off. I will have to try putting them in water first, always seem to get some hair on the meat. I cut off the legs/tail after taking down the hide which helps.
That's the hard way to skin 'em.

Easier to cut through the bottom of the tail, but not through the hide and down each side of the back a bit, then step on the tail and hide and pull up on the hind legs. This leaves them with a pair of pants on them that you then pull up and off while still standing on the tail.

pjsoden

I bought one of these a few years back. Really works great. It has a strap so I can hang it on a tree and skin the squirrels before I head home.

Reactions: HC

Bushfire

We don't have squirrels here but with rabbits I always soak them in a 5-10% brine for 24 before cooking. Removes that strong "rabbity" taste, and they're beautiful. I remember when my now wife who is not from a shooting or hunting family came to my parents place for dinner for the first time when we started dating we had a stew. She loved it and assumed it was chicken until afterwards when we told her. She was a bit shocked but had to admit she enjoyed it, now she loves game!