Winter Squirrel Hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in Minnesota we can take grey and fox squirrels. The small red squirrels are a pain in the arse but haven't got enough meat to mess with. I've seen a couple albino squirrels here and in some areas black squirrels are thick. Being genetic misprints of grey squirrels I'm sure they taste just like the greys and fox squirrels.

Where do you live that shooting the fox squirrels is legal? I'm from md. & the Delmarva fox squirrels in that area have always been illegal to hunt. Same in Wva. Now I'm in north central Fl where we have big beautiful fox squirrels everywhere & they are illegal to hunt as well.
My fam has always cooked squirrel in flour S&P & fried in bacon grease then white country pan gravy with taters - mashed or fried with onions.
I've raised 5 grey squirrels from the size of mice as pets. I don't hunt them anymore, but I'll still belly up to the table in a flash if someone else kills & cooks them tho.
West Virginia it is legal to hunt fox squirrels. The Delmarva fox squirrel is a separate subspecies and is on either the threatened or endangered list and that is why you aren’t allowed to hunt them. The common fox squirrel is nowhere near threatened

West Virginia it is legal to hunt fox squirrels. The Delmarva fox squirrel is a separate subspecies and is on either the threatened or endangered list and that is why you aren’t allowed to hunt them. The common fox squirrel is nowhere near threatened
Thanks for the informative reply. I've hunted in Wva most of my life, but haven't squirrel huntin there since I was a kid in late in late 60's early 70's. I remember seeing them on occation but was told not to shoot them. I really miss Wva & my kin there & in the western md. Pa. Wva area. If my broken up old body full of shattered bones & steel could still handle the weather there, I'd have moved to Wva & never left long ago. My fav place on earth.

Fox squirrel's are legal in Western VA. September to end of January, West of Blue Ridge mountains. 6 per day or combined with gray squirrel's. We also have a two week season in June in-between litter's on private land.
They are legal East of the Blue Ridge in specific counties.

Last edited:
Where do you live that shooting the fox squirrels is legal? I'm from md. & the Delmarva fox squirrels in that area have always been illegal to hunt. Same in Wva. Now I'm in north central Fl where we have big beautiful fox squirrels everywhere & they are illegal to hunt as well.
My fam has always cooked squirrel in flour S&P & fried in bacon grease then white country pan gravy with taters - mashed or fried with onions.
I've raised 5 grey squirrels from the size of mice as pets. I don't hunt them anymore, but I'll still belly up to the table in a flash if someone else kills & cooks them tho.
We hunt them down here in the Buckeye...no shortage of them either.

I'm in Michigan. Fox squirrels are very abundant. We also have a grays/blacks and little reds.

Old fox squirrels get cut into frying pieces, put in a covered baking dish with a can of soup (loaded potato soup is great) and baked for 2 hours at 350°. Meat falls off the bone!
That sounds like a good way to cook ‘em. I’ll give it a try, thanks.

Doing some small game hunting mixes things up well and it`s a lot of fun. I think many of us started out with small game hunting. I did with a pack of beagles for rabbit with my family. maybe all get the Crosman out next month for some bushytails! Nice post guys.

Yes sir. Stealth shrub suit is ready. Rifle will be fine tuned tomorrow in preparation.

Looking forward to some hunting fun and good eating..

Many days ago I hunted squirrels no corn no blind just sat down by den trees Limited out most every time 6 per day we had Delmarva Fox Squirrels that were 3 times the size of a grey squirrel Lucky to get one a day then they became on the endangered list so all hunting them stopped Our squirrel season went from 10/5 to 1/31 both in Delaware and Maryland

I love some slow cooked squirrels. I usually make tacos with them, outstanding breakfast tacos with some eggs.

I crock pot them in a little bit of chicken stock, usually seasoned with garlic and onion powder, and some salt and pepper. Strain, pick out the bones, then back in with 1-2 whole sticks of butter. I like my tacos greasy :)

Back