Wolf forearm screw tension.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporting member
Reaction score
I enjoy my new Wolf. After shooting I would take it home, take it apart, and clean it. Including taking the barrel off and cleaning all around it. At the next shooting session I would have to re zero because my zero had changed. It has to do with the screw tension on the forearm. Its not a problem but in the event any of you are having the same problem I brought this up. I now count how many turns of the screw to remove the forearm. To remove I turn it until I feel the screw fall of of the threads. I match the turns when putting it back on. I keep the slot in the screw lined up with the barrel as a reference point. Problem solved. I think this would apply to any break open inline.

I once had a Traditions that was good for 3 shots then get loose. I had to carry a torque wrench to retighten it every 3 shots

I mark the end of the slot and the stock where it lines up with a small dot with a sharpie. It has to be refreshed occasionally but it shows which end of the slot to stop on in case it turns while apart.

An inch pound torque wrench should be a tool that every guy serious about his firearms should have. I torque all my rile action screws to a set inch pound that I keep track of on each rifle log sheet whether its a muzzy or center fire rifle. Most of my rifles are the same torque on the action screws but I found a couple that like just a little more or less then most. Plus a torque wrench is a must when messing around with the light weight thin scope tubes we have today.

I mark the end of the slot and the stock where it lines up with a small dot with a sharpie. It has to be refreshed occasionally but it shows which end of the slot to stop on in case it turns while apart.

I do the same with all the screws on my rifles but use bow sight paint.

I had a serious problem with that screw in my previous inline (it was a CVA but I can’t remember the model name), so I just used some camo duct tape to join the fore end to the barrel. Shot great that way.

Back