Woodman Arms/ Patriot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frederick

Reaction score
Hey Folks, Im looking for all the info I can get on this Muzzleloader. I am thinking of getting one, but I ve never handled one or seen one. As for personal experience, I ve owned 5 in all, Have 4 at this time. I have a TC Black Diamond, LHR ,, 2 CVA's .. 1 MR,, 1 Optima. I use both BH209,, and pellets. Im using Federal Borloc 275 grain.. I like the round, loads easily,,groups great.. I emailed Mark today at woodsman arms, and he got right back to me, which I thought was great to hear back so quickly. I ve watched all sorts of you tube videos on the Patriot, but like I said,,looking to hear from the folks that own one and or have shot them.. I m going to go with the 50 cal... So, I m a newbie on this forum as of today, but an Ol timer in muzzleloading.. Thanks In advance to all...

There’s not a lot of info out there on these, very much under the radar it seems. But there’s enough to know that your getting a lot of bang for your buck with a Woodman Patriot. I look at it as essentially a custom rifle for less than the cost of a paramount. I love that it’s different than anything else on the market. They didn’t cut any corners either, it’s quality materials thru out and just looks solid. I’m basing my views only on what I’ve read and watched on YouTube like you at this point, but I’ve liked what I’m seeing enough that mine is on order. Time will tell but I think I’m going to love this one!

One thing that I'm concerned about with this rifle is the hammer/ firing pin housing. Is it accessible for cleaning? Same with the trigger? I didn't see this in the you tube videos that I looked at.

One thing that I'm concerned about with this rifle is the hammer/ firing pin housing. Is it accessible for cleaning? Same with the trigger? I didn't see this in the you tube videos that I looked at.
You can easily pull the trigger housing out of the frame. This gives you access to the back side of the firing pin. Generally you won't ever need to actually pull the firing pin housing. The housing and firing pin are 17-4 stainless so they will not corrode. I've seen over 1000 rounds on these and no cleaning was needed. You could however get some cleaner in there and blow it out after if desired. Our new owners manual will be done shortly and be available on the website. It will have details on this topic.

You can easily pull the trigger housing out of the frame. This gives you access to the back side of the firing pin. Generally you won't ever need to actually pull the firing pin housing. The housing and firing pin are 17-4 stainless so they will not corrode. I've seen over 1000 rounds on these and no cleaning was needed. You could however get some cleaner in there and blow it out after if desired. Our new owners manual will be done shortly and be available on the website. It will have details on this topic.
Okay, thanks!

They won't ship to ohio without an FFL to "transfer" it (which neither state nor fed law require), so I won't be buying. I make it a point to not buy from companies that run scared all the time.

All ohio law states is that a person under disability MAY NOT purchase, attempt to purchase, own, possess, ect a firearm of any type... the burden is on the person under disability to follow the law, so long as the seller does not have cause that would make a reasonable person believe the purchaser is under disability, at which point they would be required by law to report the attempted purchase.

Last edited:
They won't ship to ohio without an FFL to "transfer" it (which neither state nor fed law require), so I won't be buying. I make it a point to not buy from companies that run scared all the time.

All ohio law states is that a person under disability MAY NOT purchase, attempt to purchase, own, possess, ect a firearm of any type... the burden is on the person under disability to follow the law, so long as the seller does not have cause that would make a reasonable person believe the purchaser is under disability, at which point they would be required by law to report the attempted purchase.
Damn thats a bunch of BS there in Ohio, considering that muzzleloaders are NOT considered " firearms " federally. I fall under that clause too. I'd never live in a state with rules like that, knowing they are unconstitutional rules that should have never been allowed to be made & put into effect & I'm going to break them anyway. Why ppl tolerate that kinda BS & worry about how they're going to follow along instead of fighting tooth & nail to rid your state govt of ppl like that & their rules along with them is just beyond me.

Damn thats a bunch of BS there in Ohio, considering that muzzleloaders are NOT considered " firearms " federally. I fall under that clause too. I'd never live in a state with rules like that, knowing they are unconstitutional rules that should have never been allowed to be made & put into effect & I'm going to break them anyway. Why ppl tolerate that kinda BS & worry about how they're going to follow along instead of fighting tooth & nail to rid your state govt of ppl like that & their rules along with them is just beyond me.
I don't want the thread to derail, but Ohio has in it's Revised Code a process for those under disability to remove that disability. What it boils down to is you serve your time, do any probation you have, keep your nose clean for a few years, and build a stable life (stable housing, job, ect). Then you petition a court to review that and so long as your evidence indicates to the court that you have "turned it around", and are unlikely to go back and commit more offenses, the court is supposed to issue an order removing the disability. There are 2 problems: 1. is that most people in that position don't look at the law, and a good amount of effort is made to keep it from public knowledge, and 2. like everywhere in this country, an over abundance of courts adjudicated by judges who refuse to see reason and follow the law.

In theory, it's not a horrible idea, it makes it more difficult for people who will misuse firearms (If it were legit about public safety, it should be any item designed as or carried as a weapon, IMO, firearms aren't the only weapon a criminal can use, and if I supposedly can't trust you with a gun, I don't want you to have anything else either) from being able to get them (or more realistically, allow us to tack on even more time if they commit another crime with one); yet it allows people who just screwed up, and aren't going to be doing whatever they did again, the ability to go back to exercising all their rights.

Unfortunately, the reality is that for various reasons, it doesn't work out as it should; and too many good people are deprived of their rights long after they've served their time and gotten on with their lives, for no good reason.

Companies are too lazy to read the laws/implement simple policies to do business "in good faith", and so they screw all of us over lol. The fact that this particular company, like others, claim that they "CANNOT SHIP TO THE STATE ENTERED! YOU MUST PROVIDE AN FFL DEALER ADDRESS WHO CAN RECEIVE THE ITEM/ITEMS."; I don't like being lied to, and this is a blatant lie. Rather than just stating that they don't want to sell you a gun you can legally have sent to you (because they don't want to read the law), they are trying to blame the law for why they "can't" send you it. I could go on, but it's going to get political, and this isn't the place.

Last edited:
I don't want the thread to derail, but Ohio has in it's Revised Code a process for those under disability to remove that disability. What it boils down to is you serve your time, do any probation you have, keep your nose clean for a few years, and build a stable life (stable housing, job, ect). Then you petition a court to review that and so long as your evidence indicates to the court that you have "turned it around", and are unlikely to go back and commit more offenses, the court is supposed to issue an order removing the disability. There are 2 problems: 1. is that most people in that position don't look at the law, and a good amount of effort is made to keep it from public knowledge, and 2. like everywhere in this country, an over abundance of courts adjudicated by judges who refuse to see reason and follow the law.

In theory, it's not a horrible idea, it makes it more difficult for people who will misuse firearms (If it were legit about public safety, it should be any item designed as or carried as a weapon, IMO, firearms aren't the only weapon a criminal can use, and if I supposedly can't trust you with a gun, I don't want you to have anything else either) from being able to get them (or at least, allow us to tack on even more time if they commit another crime with one); yet it allows people who just screwed up, and aren't going to be doing whatever they did again, the ability to go back to exercising all their rights.

Unfortunately, the reality is that for various reasons, it doesn't work out as it should; and too many good people are deprived of their rights long after they've served their time and gotten on with their lives, for no good reason.

Companies are too lazy to read the laws/implement simple policies to do business "in good faith", and so they screw all of us over lol. The fact that this particular company, like others, claim that they "CANNOT SHIP TO THE STATE ENTERED! YOU MUST PROVIDE AN FFL DEALER ADDRESS WHO CAN RECEIVE THE ITEM/ITEMS."; I don't like being lied to, and this is a blatant lie. Rather than just stating that they don't want to sell you a gun you can legally have sent to you (because they don't want to read the law), they are trying to blame the law for why they "can't" send you it. I could go on, but it's going to get political, and this isn't the place.

in todays world of innocent people being sued for what they “should” have known, I don’t blame them! I wouldn‘t take the chance of some over zealous, liberal district attorney wanting to make a name, bankrupt me trying to defend myself against a frivolous lawsuit, when they use someone else’s money, to sue you. Can’t blame the companies, t blame your retarded neighbors that voted these idiots, into office!

in todays world of innocent people being sued for what they “should” have known, I don’t blame them! I wouldn‘t take the chance of some over zealous, liberal district attorney wanting to make a name, bankrupt me trying to defend myself against a frivolous lawsuit, when they use someone else’s money, to sue you. Can’t blame the companies, t blame your retarded neighbors that voted these idiots, into office!
like I said, simple policies to do business "in good faith". Example: while you're building the gun, have your customer sign (and send you the original copy of) an affidavit in front of a notary-public swearing that the info you've provided is valid, that you are legally allowed to buy/own this item, and that the delivery instructions you have provided are in accordance with the laws governing your locale (if they're willing to perjure themselves in front of a Notary, there's really no legal means of YOU stopping them from getting a firearm, as an FFL can't legally run a NICS check for a gun not regulated by the GCA). At that point, you have satisfied the "reasonable person" test, anything beyond that is why you have insurance... it's a lot like building guns, you can't idiot-proof a gun, but you can make it so that a reasonable person can use it safely.

A little Parable:
Once there were two brothers with totally different names and separated by four years in age. One day, a fool broke into their dad's shed to steal more tools, setting off the alarm. The two brothers went to the shed to reset the alarm (since it had gone off for no reason before) and do some shooting while they were back there. Long story short, guy pulls knife on younger brother, younger brother shoots him... fast forward a year, clown sues older brother (who is now legally an adult) for shooting him... even though there is no evidence, and the guy perjured himself multiple times, a judge refused to dismiss it.

moral of the story- anyone can sue you for anything at anytime... even if you didn't do it lol.

In any case, claiming you "can't", when you "won't" and "must", when it doesn't; is a lie, and no amount of blaming (insert thing here) is going to change that.

Last edited:
I don’t see the big deal, go to the ffl and do the transfer. I live in communist New Jersey, I do it all the time, I don’t like paying the transfer fee but I don’t blame the guy sending the gun . I can’t buy a BB gun without an ffl, but that’s our law like it or not for me.I would move but my life and family are here, so I deal with it

I don’t see the big deal, go to the ffl and do the transfer. I live in communist New Jersey, I do it all the time, I don’t like paying the transfer fee but I don’t blame the guy sending the gun . I can’t buy a BB gun without an ffl, but that’s our law like it or not for me.I would move but my life and family are here, so I deal with it

you don't think that may be why things are the way they are? "it's not THAT big of a deal". In free states, to include OH, you don't need to do that. While I take issue with the fact that they operate in fear of things beyond their control (and do disservice to their customers), my biggest issue is that they blatantly lie about why they aren't going to do something. It's not even a transfer, it is just literally being shipped to someone else's address, for you to pick up (because they aren't legally allowed to do anything but enter into their records that a non-GCA firearm was stored on their premises for customer pickup).

I don't want to derail the thread, so this will be my last post in it, sorry for the trouble.

like I said, simple policies to do business "in good faith". Example: while you're building the gun, have your customer sign (and send you the original copy of) an affidavit in front of a notary-public swearing that the info you've provided is valid, that you are legally allowed to buy/own this item, and that the delivery instructions you have provided are in accordance with the laws governing your locale (if they're willing to perjure themselves in front of a Notary, there's really no legal means of YOU stopping them from getting a firearm, as an FFL can't legally run a NICS check for a gun not regulated by the GCA). At that point, you have satisfied the "reasonable person" test, anything beyond that is why you have insurance... it's a lot like building guns, you can't idiot-proof a gun, but you can make it so that a reasonable person can use it safely.

A little Parable:
Once there were two brothers with totally different names and separated by four years in age. One day, a fool broke into their dad's shed to steal more tools, setting off the alarm. The two brothers went to the shed to reset the alarm (since it had gone off for no reason before) and do some shooting while they were back there. Long story short, guy pulls knife on younger brother, younger brother shoots him... fast forward a year, clown sues older brother (who is now legally an adult) for shooting him... even though there is no evidence, and the guy perjured himself multiple times, a judge refused to dismiss it.

moral of the story- anyone can sue you for anything at anytime... even if you didn't do it lol.

In any case, claiming you "can't", when you "won't" and "must", when it doesn't; is a lie, and no amount of blaming (insert thing here) is going to change that.

why would any business go through all that, when it’s easier to send to an FFL and release themselves of all liability…

A little Parable:

Simple is sending to an FFL. Like I said, if I was a business owner, where one lawsuit can lead to bankruptcy and the poor house for my family, sending a gun to an FFL is the simplest way to protect me, my company and my money!
im sure they’ll be fine without your business, I mean if a $20 FFL fee is a deal breaker, it’d have me curious why that person didn’t want to…

I personally don’t like the gun laws in nj , I never vote for these morons , but that’s the law in my state. so if I want a gun that’s what it is. it wasn’t always like this , but things change like it or not, I don’t blame woodman for protecting his interests

I did not know that. Guess that scratches them off the list. I have never had an issue with getting muzzleloaders shipped directly to me in Ohio.

I ve learned no more about a Patriot then I did before I posted this. Plenty about New Jersey, Ohio and FFl fees. Guess this was the wrong place to come for info on this Gun.

As a newby on the forum (as of yesterday) if you have questions about anything, searching it, generally will give you at least an hour of reading…

FYI, that’s pretty much how any forum works

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back