Would you like a gunsmithing section?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Are you a DIYer? Do you like to fix your own guns or install your own sights and scopes and accessories? Do you like to help others figure out whats wrong with their rigs? Are you willing to share your knowledge with others? Some folks have expressed interest in having a Gunsmith section. Not to be confused with the trouble shooting section but maybe along side it. For example, how to recrown a barrel. How to remove a QLA. Rebluing, bedding, inletting, threading, trigger work, etc... what do y'all think?

Good idea. I am for it. I know I would visit to learn a thing, or three, for sure.

Does anyone have any reasons why we should NOT have a gunsmithing section?
The only thing i can think of is that there is concern for this at the top level . This has been hinted at for my poll as well with the issue of lapping in a front sealing breech plug . I believe Liability issues are the big fear .
My opinion is at some point if a man is going to attempt a DIY undertaking he Must take responsibility for That Decision and man up for whatever the outcome is whether good or bad . Ya cant hold everybodies hand for everything !!!!!
That said the decision to consult a professional gunsmith also is every mans own decision to have the work done .
A Disclaimer should end all fears and should probably be agreed to in advance before entering this proposed forum that is desired .
I would think MML would be satisfied with a stipulation as such IF they would be Willing to serve us in this matter . I would think this would be favorable to a Gunsmithing tool maker and provide another source for sales both for them and the site .
Ive also inquired about an advanced smoker forum in recent conversation and was told "No" .
Who knows if this proposal will be considered remains to be seen . It is undoubtably a great idea . IMO of course.......

Then an advertising section would be more appropriate.
Why wouldnt that fit in under a sub--section ??? That would cover both desires . And still provide another source of revenue .As well as an outlet for those wanting/needing to farm it out . Thats good business sense . Opportunities for all .

Why wouldnt that fit in under a sub--section ??? That would cover both desires . And still provide another source of revenue .As well as an outlet for those wanting/needing to farm it out . Thats good business sense . Opportunities for all .
Even tutorial space could be sold instead of u-tube . This Could be Big . How's that for playin ball .

Why wouldnt that fit in under a sub--section ??? That would cover both desires . And still provide another source of revenue .As well as an outlet for those wanting/needing to farm it out .

Its for the real gunsmiths to determine rather they want their own section and it should be the gunsmiths that ask for it.

There's enough advice in the regular sections for people to decided what is right, wrong, what they can do, or shouldn't do. Way to many people may look at something posted in a gunsmithing section and take it as gospel, when in reality it may not be right, or even dangerous. Just my opinion.

And your entitled to that opinion .
Thats why i suggested the disclaimer already . Guess you missed that .

Besides gospel IS gospel not these threads.

No, I read your suggestion, didn't miss your style of disclaimer. But again, the gunsmiths should be asking for their own sections. Not just anyone wanting another section.

No, I read your suggestion, didn't miss your style of disclaimer. But again, the gunsmiths should be asking for their own sections. Not just anyone wanting another section.
Like i said whether this gets off the ground remains to be seen . For Many of us MML is our only or primary site we partake in . The opportunity to actually Help grow MML is in our best interests for all concerned .

I would only be in favor of this forum if only certified, very knowledgable gunsmiths were posting. Any DIY modifications, etc., etc., by others that are possibly not qualified would be a HUGE liability. Just because you post a disclaimer doesn't mean that someone isn't going to get hurt or have a bad experience.

Like i said whether this gets off the ground remains to be seen . For Many of us MML is our only or primary site we partake in . The opportunity to actually Help grow MML is in our best interests for all concerned .

Well Slideshow, you and I are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. That shouldn't surprise anyone.... Ergonomist vs Engineer LOL

Just because someone thinks he/she likes working on guns, or even creates little fixes for themselves, DOES NOT make them a gunsmith carrying liability insurance.
Another section on this site in no way will grow or cause less growth in the site. Quite frankly, the real gunsmiths with liability insurance likely wouldn't post in it.

Back