Wow...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Accuracy with patched balls has been elusive for me. Thought it was me. Then the rifle. Then the patch/ lube...
Then it happens. I leave my rubbing alcohol home. Been my go to swab for 20 years. Works great for sabots and conicals.
So I tried a spit swab. Nice tight groups!
Remembered the r.a. today. First 3 shots were good. Next 4 were very hard rams, and accuracy was poor.
In a fit of frustration, I spit swabbed the last 2 shots. 3/4 inch apart! Easy ram too.
All this time, was I simply drying the bore too much for the lube to handle? I think the answer is clear.
So. Now I need a swab fluid that won't dry the bore out AND won't freeze in winter. Like spit or plain water. Ideas welcome! I'm thinking Ballistol/ water. Maybe a 50/50 mix instead of the 25/75 I use for cleaning.
Thanks!

Accuracy with patched balls has been elusive for me. Thought it was me. Then the rifle. Then the patch/ lube...
Then it happens. I leave my rubbing alcohol home. Been my go to swab for 20 years. Works great for sabots and conicals.
So I tried a spit swab. Nice tight groups!
Remembered the r.a. today. First 3 shots were good. Next 4 were very hard rams, and accuracy was poor.
In a fit of frustration, I spit swabbed the last 2 shots. 3/4 inch apart! Easy ram too.
All this time, was I simply drying the bore too much for the lube to handle? I think the answer is clear.
So. Now I need a swab fluid that won't dry the bore out AND won't freeze in winter. Like spit or plain water. Ideas welcome! I'm thinking Ballistol/ water. Maybe a 50/50 mix instead of the 25/75 I use for cleaning.
Thanks!
I use Windex for windows and bore swabbing conicals , round ball patches get bear oil (works for me) Ed

Everybody has they're secret formula for patch lube and bore swabbing.
I've been using windex for the barrel between shots but I have heard about Balistol and water mix.
I should give something like that a try myself.
The humble patched round ball is on the surface a simple thing but getting one to shoot good isn't so simple, so it seems.

Ballistol/water is GREAT for cleaning!!
My question is what to use in cold/ freezing temps? Think tongue on flagpole...
Folk poo-poo TC for the whole " bore seasoning" idea. BUT! Seems to me they might've been right.
When I dried out the bore with r.a., patches got frayed by the lands. Very uniformly though.
But spit swabbing gave patches that could literally be reused!
All the advise I've ever read about shooting p.r.b.s, no one ever mentioned anything about what fluid to use/ not use, or drying the bore of residual lube.
I'm glad I'm stubborn and didn't give up on the whole idea.
Even though I prefer sabots, and a 1-48 does very well with .45 caliber 250 grain XTPs...
More range reports to follow!

Latest posts

Back