WTH Am I Doing Wrong

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stacy, first off when I cast bullets I insert a corner of the mold into the lead for 2-7 minutes depending on the mold as per IdahoLewis video. Lyman mold 2-3 minAccurate Molds 7 minutes. I then get the lead up to 800 degrees. when I used a bottom pour I woukd hold the mold directly under the mold so the spout was in the mold spur plate. The first few casts you will have to hold the mold longer until the lead solidifies. After that I hold them for about 5 seconds. Doing it that way the majority of my bullets come out weighing within a 1/2 grain. There may be a few that exceeds that. Those I generally throw back into the pot.

The sprue, when I first started, was taking about 5-10 seconds to get hard. I think I was hot enough. I guess I better travel somewhere and get a lesson. IDK what is going on...

Agree. Have you tried compression casting? Idk how many you cast of that one in a session. Is the problem just with that mold?
I always expect about 10% to be throwbacks. The first few almost always get thrown back. I drop the keepers in order so i can tell if im getting mold temp problems or something else. I can follow changes that way. I want to know which one was first, which was last... I found that the better i clean the mold the fewer of those 'inclusions?' I get. Idk but a few of them on a bullet that big may account for a grn or 2 dif.

BTW,Ed, here’s your breech plug and wrench. I gotta get to the post office and get them to ya.

Attachments

• 1A458853-927A-46C4-B48C-91D43237D772.jpeg
    1A458853-927A-46C4-B48C-91D43237D772.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 13
Agree. Have you tried compression casting? Idk how many you cast of that one in a session. Is the problem just with that mold?
I always expect about 10% to be throwbacks. The first few almost always get thrown back. I drop the keepers in order so i can tell if im getting mold temp problems or something else. I can follow changes that way. I want to know which one was first, which was last... I found that the better i clean the mold the fewer of those 'inclusions?' I get. Idk but a few of them on a bullet that big may account for a grn or 2 dif.
I get it with all my moulds I’ve weighed bullets from. I had been casting for about an hour. My mould was hot, but you’re right. That is a big bullet. So maybe nothing to worry about. They all shoot ok. I just want perfect....

We all want perfect. I have had some weight variations or slight base imperfections and just filed down the base a tiny bit to change weight or flatten the base out perfectly. Ive thought about making a plastic or wood fixture to hold a lead bullet that i could mount in my drill press to machine down the nose or base to perfection if i cant cast a perfect bullet.

I like to cast 50 at least.
Sometimes, depending on mold, heat and time - I’ll throw the 1st 10-20 back into the pot. Once they look good - no wrinkles, I’ll roll on continuously. Oil on your mold will effect the way they look too. You seem hot enough as it should take a few seconds to solidify. I use a ladle and pressurize my mold for a few seconds - just the way I was thought.
When I weigh them, I almost always have a bell curve. Mine are pure lead with just a small piece of tin on my 40-50# pot.
Here are my 54’s I cased recently, weighted in 1/2gr rows.
0C08C0E9-8B29-4C07-ADB3-EAA1EE23FFC1.jpeg

Last edited:
Stacy, did you widen the spout to your Pot? I have to look at Lew's video as to what drill bit he used. I did it to mine when I had a bottom spout pot years ago. I just got tired of the occasional drips, spout clogging up, etc, and went to using a Ladle and never looked back. I find using a ladle I'm able to cast more constantly in weight.

I did drill the spout out. I don’t recall the exact bit either. Yeah it’s totally exasperating. I also sort into 1 grain lots so they shoot the best they can. Guess I just need to keep at it. Maybe try a a different scale as well. My hole in the sprue plate is a little too large for compression casting with that mould.

I like to cast 50 at least.
Sometimes, depending on mold, heat and time - I’ll throw the 1st 10-20 back into the pot. Once they look good - no wrinkles, I’ll roll on continuously. Oil on your mold will effect the way they look too. You seem hot enough as it should take a few seconds to solidify. I use a ladle and pressurize my mold for a few seconds - just the way I was thought.
When I weigh them, I almost always have a bell curve. Mine are pure lead with just a small piece of tin on my 40-50# pot.
Here are my 54’s I cased recently, weighted in 1/2gr rows.
View attachment 10523
Hey 52 Bore, those bullets look awesome! Where did you get the mold for them? I

More Heat Stacey. If you are Casting PURE Lead, and have a Lead Thermometer, Look for 800 Degrees, HOT is your Friend here :lewis:

For HEAVY molds such as Accurate STEEL Molds, i dip the Bottom of the Blocks in the Molten Lead, I Start my Timer, and Let it Soak for 8 Full Minutes, This slightly Over Heats the Mold, The Sprue will “Dance” for a Full 30-45 Seconds before it Starts to Solidify, DON’T Open your Mold to Soon here!! As the Sprue Starts to Solidify you will see a Hole “sink” down in the Sprue, Count a Full 30-45 Seconds Before you Dump this Bullet, this first Bullet will be Purple/Blue, And PERFECTLY Filled out, But I don’t keep the First 3-4 Bullets, I Cast and Dump them, This is to Allow the Mold to “Settle down” and enter the Zone :lewis:

Latest posts

Back