Wyoming Mule Deer?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper53

Reaction score
Hello from Western Oregon. I am looking for some advice. I'm 69 years young and just retired. Planning on hunting deer in Wyoming in the next couple years. My son and I have been buying preference points the last 10 years.
Never have hunted out of Oregon. Originally started buying points in Wyoming from a suggestion of a co-worker who had hunted there often. We were going to go together but we put it off too long. Sadly he passed last year.
On top of that my wife and I caught covid last year and still dealing with Long Term Covid Symtoms.
We hope to make some trips to Wyoming to check for possible hunting areas next year.
Looking for suggestions on areas to look at, to decide which unit to apply for. We are planning on a DIY hunt.
I started making calls to the Wyoming game department 4 years ago but have not gotten a lot of suggestions other than go on their website. I'm not that computer savvy.
Because I lost some lung and energy capacity during covid I would like to stay in easy to moderate terrain. (Under 6,000 feet if possible).
I have interest in the the private landowner access areas but not real sure how that program works.
I have never shot a large deer and it would be nice to have a chance at something 25" wide if that is possible on public access ground.
We would be interested in a combo antelope / deer hunt since we will be there and already have a non resident hunting license.
Looking for any suggestions or advice I can get.
On a side note, we are lifelong Oregonians but thinking seriously into moving to a more conservative state with a dryer humidity for health reasons.
We have children in Idaho and Tennessee.
Any suggestions on good states to look at with good hunting and fishing would be appreciated greatly.
Thanks for all of your time,
Retired finally

Theres a large public area north of Sundance. The Bear Lodge mountains. We camped and fished there for 20 years. Redwater creek I believe. There wasnt a lot of competition from other hunters and we did take some large bucks. We would come in from Redwater creek to hunt the edge of private property. Sheep mountain was another area we hunted.

Theres a large public area north of Sundance. The Bear Lodge mountains. We camped and fished there for 20 years. Redwater creek I believe. There wasnt a lot of competition from other hunters and we did take some large bucks. We would come in from Redwater creek to hunt the edge of private property. Sheep mountain was another area we hunted.
Thanks for the info. I will try to check it out. Fishing us an added pleasure. Did you ever do a combo antelope, deer hunt?
Thanks again, really appreciate your information.
Be safe

I did do a couple stand alone antelope hunts. I am not a fan of antelope meat. Neither is my dog. I think they are beautiful and fun to hunt.

Theres good trout fishing in Sand creek near the border of South Dakota. Right on I 90.

i do not believe that you need a hunting license being a non resident. You DO need the non resident tag for the species that you are hunting.

I did do a couple stand alone antelope hunts. I am not a fan of antelope meat. Neither is my dog. I think they are beautiful and fun to hunt.

Theres good trout fishing in Sand creek near the border of South Dakota. Right on I 90.

Thanks again Snapbang, much appreciated. This is a great forum. I can't wait to get over to Wyoming next year and start exploring.
When I talked to the Wyoming fish and game it sounded like they did not have a muzzleloader season.
Be safe,
Trapper 53

Used to live in Green River, southwest corner. If you can get up around the Pinedale area you will not be disappointed- mules as big as elk.
O7kingpin, thanks for the info. Do you remember if there was much public ground in that area?
Be safe,
Trapper53

i do not believe that you need a hunting license being a non resident. You DO need the non resident tag for the species that you are hunting.
Brad502a, thanks for the info, I will look into it. Thanks for your time. Be safe,
Trapper53

Tons of public ground- the vast majority of it actually. The nice thing about the Pinedale area is that it straddles plains, mountains and waterways so there is always so.ewhere to hunt.

I lived in Laramie,Wyoming after I got out of the Marines.Moved back to Indiana then 15 years ago I moved further west to a place called Lander,Wyoming.Near the WIND RIVER INDIAN RESERVATION.When my brother died I moved back home but wish I went back to Wyoming.So much hunting for a resident out there and real cheap to hunt.I know a non-resident has to hunt with a guide out there.My favorite place to live if I ever go any place.

The last time I looked they do not have a dedicated MZ season. For the Northeast corner where I hunted the entire month of November is deer season. We did use traditional MZs on occasion.

The last time I looked they do not have a dedicated MZ season. For the Northeast corner where I hunted the entire month of November is deer season. We did use traditional MZs on occasion.

Pronghorn taste totally depends on what they are eating, and how fast you get them cooled down. No dedicated M/L season for anything.

We turned them into jalapeno cheddar summer sausage- best way to eat them!
We live at the foot of the Sierra Madres in S/C Wyo at 7,300' only 15 min to 11,500 elev. Around here antelope is our favorite meat ! Lots of Agriculture around so that figures into taste. Also we know how to take care of our meat ourselves not trusting meat packers. Don't chase them 'till they're tripping on their tounge either. We also have to draw a tag in most all of Wyo, no over the counter anymore. Large corporate ranches buying up all of the ranches we used to be welcomed, anything with water running through it. Our small town of 453 pop is now at risk due to the almighty dollar and new transplants daily from liberal thinking states. They didn't want to live there anymore, then try to change our town to be just like the one they left! Ski Lodge etc. We have gravel streets , very low taxes and that's how we want to keep it. I hunt with UH BP patch and ball during regular rifle season. Antelope the last five years successful. Trader

When the outsiders move in its all over. They know whats best for you. In the area of Traverse City Michigan the outsiders are moving in. They are attracted to the orchards, beaches, rolling hills, rivers, streams, and general beauty of the area. But after they move in they go to township meetings and complain about the noise from the orchards when the farms spray the crops. They want to restrict the time of day they can spray. The fruit industry is struggling already.

We used a crop duster to spray chemicals. The guy loved to run muffler free for more horsepower. Loved to spray at first light and last light. When the wind was calm. Did it for years until the wrong group moved it.

Be assured things will change someday. When food becomes hard to get they will have to reconsider. If they are smart enough to understand the problem.

Back