XTP Success

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
557D6398-307F-473C-ADE0-5A0CD00DC6F3.jpeg Got to make the most of the last few minutes of our final day of muzzleloader season in Ohio on a full grown doe. My wife was using the Optima, so I pulled out my old Traditions Buckhunter (bought new around 2000, but hadn’t used for the last 10+ years until I put a BH209 plug conversion kit on it last year just for this situation - the 4 days a year that my wife and I are both carrying a muzzleloader). It’s not much to look at, and not exactly a tack driver, but I have full confidence in it to at least 100 yards. Using a .452 300 gr XTP in a Harvester black crush rib sabot, over 90 gr of BH209 with a CCI209M primer. It’s not too difficult when they stand broadside at 25 yards! But she did show up where I absolutely didn’t expect, so had to go left handed. It pays to practice those things ahead of time!! Double lung pass though, breaking 2 ribs going in as well as coming out. Left a HEAVY blood trail from impact to where she fell 45 yards away. Still a month of archery season left, but that puts a wrap on my deer season with punching my last tag.

View attachment 7004 Got to make the most of the last few minutes of our final day of muzzleloader season in Ohio on a full grown doe. My wife was using the Optima, so I pulled out my old Traditions Buckhunter (bought new around 2000, but hadn’t used for the last 10+ years until I put a BH209 plug conversion kit on it last year just for this situation - the 4 days a year that my wife and I are both carrying a muzzleloader). It’s not much to look at, and not exactly a tack driver, but I have full confidence in it to at least 100 yards. Using a .452 300 gr XTP in a Harvester black crush rib sabot, over 90 gr of BH209 with a CCI209M primer. It’s not too difficult when they stand broadside at 25 yards! But she did show up where I absolutely didn’t expect, so had to go left handed. It pays to practice those things ahead of time!! Double lung pass though, breaking 2 ribs going in as well as coming out. Left a HEAVY blood trail from impact to where she fell 45 yards away. Still a month of archery season left, but that puts a wrap on my deer season with punching my last tag.
Nice doe ! Lots of good tasting venison - congratulations.

What are everyone's opinions on the .452 300gr XTP vs the .44 240gr XTP? The 240 has a little higher ballistic coefficient and sectional density. Would you have ANY hesitations using the .44 for deer?

What are everyone's opinions on the .452 300gr XTP vs the .44 240gr XTP? The 240 has a little higher ballistic coefficient and sectional density. Would you have ANY hesitations using the .44 for deer?
I like the heavier 300gr 45 myself and mostly a 44 sabot has to be loaded pretty hot to cleanly leave the bullet as well . Regular xtp's not mags too .

Good shooting from the wrong side !!! I hate that but you still got it done !!!

Last edited:

Why not use the 300 grain .44 cal for deer. I've used them for years with super good success. I also use the .44 cal 240 grain XTP in my pistol with good success on deer. Both are great bullets for accuracy and for putting deer down.

I have zero issues with the sabots coming off the bullets clean with even moderate loads....both Harvester green and Hornady green. I find them fully opened about 9yards in front of the shooting bench.

Back