XTP's

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are the same jacketed bullet manufactured by Hornady. However T/C may use a different brand or slightly different thickness sabot than Hornady.

Some people report that one brand or the other will load easier in their rifle - which is probably due to a slight diference in sabot construction.

I shoot the Hornady 300gr XTPMags and they work very well for me. But what I end up doing, instead of buying them prepackaged for muzzleloading, I buy the bullets and sabots separately in bulk from a reloading dealer and put them together myself. They shoot every bit as well as what T/C or Hornady market and I save $$$ doing it this way.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Mark. Have you used the XTP for hunting and how has it preformed?

No I haven't hunted with the XTPs. From what I've heard a LOT of people say - they really do a good job on game though. I would have no problem hunting with them, other than the simple fact that I like to use a little heavier bullet for the type game I usually hunt.
But for Whitetail..................the XTPs should perform wonderfully at muzzleloading velocities.

Viking... I've killed a dozen deer with the XTP and they have worked very reliably. Good expansion, holds together. Good penetration. All were shot from my Encore @ 1850fps with two pyrodex pellets.

viking421a,

And you can even get them a lot cheaper if you do not buy them packaged. Buy a box of Hornady 240,250/60,300 grain XTP's and them buy a package of Sabots.

Getting the right sabot for the gun you are using is the key. Some people have a very difficult time getting Hornady sabots down their gun. Usually the TC sabot is a bit thinner and will probably fit more guns.

I have used the XTP's for years they are an accurate bullet. I use lots of them shooting paper and rocks - target practice, because I can not afford to shoot my hunting bullet, Nosler Partitions, for play. There certainly has been a lot of XTP success stories out there.

Good Luck

viking I have had great luck with the 250 gr 452 xtp over the years.

I typically buy the bullets in bulk and then buy the sabots in bags of 50 to match the rifle bore Im going to be shooting them out of from mmp.

Something you want to remember is that all 50 caliber bores are not exactly 50 caliber. You can talk to del a mmp and he can recommend the best sabot for your particular gun.

The 250 opens up pretty good at muzzleloading velocity.
iisabigone

I see there are two XTPs, does anyone know the difference?

.452 45 CAL 300 GR XTP/MAG - Hornady item 45235
.452 45 CAL 300 GR Hollow Point/XTP - Hornady item 45230

They have slightly different SD and BC numbers.

Thanks,

tooldog

tooldog said:
I see there are two XTPs, does anyone know the difference?

.452 45 CAL 300 GR Hollow Point/XTP - Hornady item 45230

They have slightly different SD and BC numbers.

Thanks,

tooldog

There is "the shooter" in most guns.

I agree with Randy on this one. I have not had much luck with the "mags" and keep them for my .454 Casul

Back