... aaaand I should have listened. It's been posted here before that when getting a new gun with a pre-mounted scope that you should remove it completely and reassemble it with locktite. Silly me, I checked the ring screws on my new gun, a CVA Optima V2, nitride barrel and Nikon scope. The rings had locktite and were on solid. So rather than take the whole setup off I just added a bit of blue threadlock one at a time while checking the rings and assumed (danger!) that whoever had mounted the rings correctly had done the same with the base. Bad assumption. After struggling to get decent groups since Christmas I hit the range again today thinking adding o-rings to my primers may prevent the fliers, which seemed in equal number to the number of primers that leaked into the breech. So, no primer blowback today, that was a success, but the best group I could get at 100 yards was 1.77". Grrrr. So I decided to check over everything, including the scope base. All 4 base mount screws were loose, and none had locktite like the rings did. The design is quite solid, which made any movement unnoticeable to my eyes. The forward screw hole pocket that's under the front ring was also full of oil. When I took the scope out of the rings that entire cavity was filled with oil. My eyes rolled so far back in my head I saw my brain... as tiny as it apparently is for not doing this to start with. Time to start over, this time with a solidly mounted scope. So thanks for telling me, wish I'd have listened! Live and learn.