Yesteryear

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

Reaction score
It's probably little known to most Americans but NZ received a gift (from TR if memory serves me correct) of several elk in the early 1900s.

They went on to produce some of the world's biggest elk until Red deer spread through and effectively took over (a red stag will always beat an elk being more nimble).

NZ would often compare their biggest to what was observed in the states, I dont think it went the other way as much though. Thats not to say the biggest of the biggest don't exist in America. Someone picked up what they believed to be the world's longest elk cast/shed at the time in NZ being (again from memory) around 65" long. Dont have a pic of it handy though.

This is an example of what used to exist completely free ranging in this part if the world.

20210221_130017.jpg

On a side note, from then and to this day in the pacific we score deer with the Norman Douglas system as shown above. That's why any free range "record" scored in SCI should be viewed with scepticism. It's effectively removing all locally shot animals. Great example is Jim Shockeys record Australian archery hog deer from a few years back. It's an ok one no doubt but there have been many bigger.

An interesting bit of information Bushfire. As for the red stag being more nimble, I haven't a clue. But I do know that setup at 20 yards, and a wrong move or sound that just isn't right and an elk become a ghost. It amazes me how fast they move.

An interesting bit of information Bushfire. As for the red stag being more nimble, I haven't a clue. But I do know that setup at 20 yards, and a wrong move or sound that just isn't right and an elk become a ghost. It amazes me how fast they move.

They are smaller and quicker so they can slip in on a bull and jam antlers into soft places and do a lot of damage. Similarly, a Japanese sika will do the same for red deer. I have some footage I took hunting in NZ of a red stag clearing right out of dodge when a sika came for his girls. Jap sika stags being almost half his size. Again they are just too nimble for a red.

Back