Yet a few more BH209 questions...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THBailey

Reaction score
I have a fair amount of experience with a variety of front stuffers, but I am headed to the range tomorrow using BH209 in a new Traditions Pursuit G4 Ultralite, first time using BH209. With an eye towards the light rifle I will start with 80 gr measured underneath the 300gr Hornady XTP in a Harvester crush rib. I have read through the forum and understand a dry patch followed by Hoppes is the way to clean things up. But my questions are: When you load, do you run the projectile down the dry bore or lube it up with something? In the sidelocks using Pyrodex RS or the holy black we spit on the sabot to ease the loading. Also, how many shots before swabbing the bore? On the sidelocks we clean after every shot. Thanks so much.

Clean dry barrel, don't swab the bore till your done and ready to clean it. It's not necessary. I'm assuming you have a Blackhorn compatible breech plug. If not, you will waste your time and not be happy. If so, clean your fire channel about every 10 shots or so.

Well thanks for the prompt reply. The gun has the Traditions Accelerator Breech Plug, which the Traditions web site claims is BH209 compatible. I already wrapped a tape handle on my 1/8 drill bit. I will also bring a pick for the flash hole. Thanks again!

The rifle I had came with a regular type breech plug similar to CVA's. I used to pack a small drill bit to clean out the fire channel every so often. I don't know if Traditions has changed anything in recent years.
I once had a Buckstalker rifle and I only used black powder in it but when I picked up a Pursuit Ultralite I switched over to the BH. The breech plug in both guns were the same back then.

I always use JB bore paste in new barrels before shooting them, seems to condition them a little.

Well, things went reasonably well at the Sacramento Valley Shooting Center today. Set a target up at 25 yards and with three shots got things lined up enough to move the target back to the 100 yard line. Few more shots and adjustments, cleaned out the fire channel with my 1/8th drill bit, and then three for group. Hurried the third shot as the rangemaster was announcing a cease fire, and called it as a bit high left. Total of ten shots fired. Not the best group I have put on paper, but given it was with a randomly selected starter load and only the 8th, 9th, and 10th shots from a virgin barrel, I think I may have something to work with here. I do like the BH209. Again, thanks for your help Gentlemen.

IMG_1194.jpgIMG_1188.jpg

There is no need to clean out the flash channel after that few shots when using black horn 209, I've shot over 100 shots out of my thompson omega without cleaning it, with no problems don't swab between shots, and let the barrel cool 5 minutes between shots. Black horn 209 and in lines are different than flintlocks and pyrodex, also try and use the same amount of pressure when seating the bullet from shot to shot

Last edited:
There is no need to clean out the flash channel after that few shots when using black horn 209, I've shot over 100 shots out of my thompson omega without cleaning it, with no problems don't swab between shots, and let the barrel cool 5 minutes between shots. Black horn 209 and in lines are different than flintlocks and pyrodex, also try and use the same amount of pressure when seating the bullet from shot to shot
Are you in a dry climate?.... and how much BH209 volume do you customarily use?
It's always damp and mucky in the Huron National Forest where we hunt. I kept getting delayed fires from BH 209 and finally gave up using it. Talk aout being disappointed. I liked everything else about it. I even liked how it redries itself when getting wet, without any loss of horsepower.

So now I buy extra cleaning patches again. The dirty Goex disgusts me at times. But it's the most dependable powder I've tried and I've tried them-all. 777 I used for a decade. Then I got tired of all the seized breechplugs using magnum powder loads.
A few years ago I toyed with White Hot pellets. The dark, ugly Forest said No to those too.

Last edited:

While it might be possible for more shots in the better breach plugs......The Traditions plugs are not ideal. They may work with BH209 but they are not as good as some breach plugs. Ive done several 40shot+ sessions with Lehigh plugs for Knights. No issue at all but its not something i would recommend for all plugs.

When I cleaned out the channel with my 1/8th drill bit after just the first 7 shots, I was a bit surprised as to how much hard fouling I got out of the channel. I can think of no reason why I should not use the drill bit after every five shots. I mean, it only takes a minute to do it.

Back at the range. Just FYI:

Three more 100 yard shots with the 80gr BH209 and 300gr XTP in the Harvester Crush Rib sabot-

IMG_1218.jpg

Then tried 3 more with Shockey Sabots, tough to load compared to Harvester Crush Ribs-

IMG_1224.jpg

Then tried 90gr BH209 with the 300gr xtp and the Harvester Crush Ribs, I think I found my load-

IMG_1225.jpg

All of these with the same scope settings. Bet I would group a bunch better if I was still 35 years old instead of 69! Next time out to the range I will shoot at 150 and 200 yards. Stay tuned!

Latest posts

Back