Yet a few more BH209 questions...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got back out to the range. Shot at 150 yards, same load of 90 gr BH209, crushrib and 300 gr XTP, and started with the same scope settings as before. Five shots for group. Then adjusted 10 clicks to the right, last two shots after adjusting were touching pretty much dead center high. Rather be lucky than good! I have to 'fess up, the photo makes things look better than they are. That is a big target, the black is 13 inches across. Next time I will shoot 200.

IMG_1267.jpg

A couple more trips to the range to report. Shooting was done at the Sacramento Valley Shooting Centers 300 yard public range. ( Sacramento Valley Shooting Center – Sacramento Valley Shooting Center )

IMG_1355.jpg

As I mentioned above, I am using the Leupold Muzzleloader scope and it has this reticle:

1600178141585.png

Again, shooting 90 gr BH209, Harvester crush ribs and 300 gr XTP's. I had the scope set to 10x and made no adjustments. First trip back to the range I shot at 150 yards and 200 yards. At 150 yards with the crosshairs on target:

IMG_1340.jpg

At 200 yards with the first holdover dot over the target:

IMG_1343.jpg

I was a little frustrated with my inability to hold steady, even off the bench, so I ordered a Caldwell Lead Sled from Midway and went out again after it arrived. Second trip I tried 200, 250 and 300 yards. At 200 yards with, again, the first holdover dot on target, first three shots:

IMG_1349.jpg

Second three shots:

IMG_1353.jpg

Not much better with the Lead Sled. Next, five shots at 250 yards with the second holdover dot over the target:

IMG_1357.jpg

Then finally, 300 yards. On my Sons advice concerning holdover at this range, I put the tip of the lower post inverted V on the orange dot at the top of the target. First three shots:

IMG_1352.jpg

Second three shots, same scope settings and load, certainly tried for the same point of hold, the three high and right:

IMG_1361.jpg

Other than inexperience with the Caldwell rest, and a slight breeze that picked up, I have no explanation for the two groups being in two places, but I was pretty happy with how tight the second three shots held at that range.

I must say I am really impressed with the BH209, the Traditions rifle and the leupold scope. Also, thanks so much for your suggestions and advice. You folks got me going pretty quick.

We are off to Utah next week to see if we can fill our Mule Deer tags. I think I am good to 150 yards, maybe 200 for a level shot with a good rest. Beyond that I don't think I am consistent enough for an ethical shot. Maybe next year, given more practice...

There is no need to clean out the flash channel after that few shots when using black horn 209, I've shot over 100 shots out of my thompson omega without cleaning it, with no problems don't swab between shots, and let the barrel cool 5 minutes between shots. Black horn 209 and in lines are different than flintlocks and pyrodex, also try and use the same amount of pressure when seating the bullet from shot to shot

Theirs a big difference in breech plugs from the accelerator plug from traditions to the t/c omega plug. I own 3 omegas and they all have fired off bh209 perfectly with little maintenance on a range day. My traditions has issues after about 6 shots. So yes I would keep doing what he’s doing insuring a clean ignition every time

I picked up some BH209 & want to get a couple guns scoped & dialed in. I hear about some guys barrels getting gummed up after transition from water based 777 cleanup to bh209. Would it be good idea to clean both barrels with an oil based solvent & then foul prior to shooting & sticking with the BH209 in each gun. I’m gonna leave my primary Omega as is ( 777) for early ML season & will eventually get it lined up with the others all using BH209. Curious to hear your thoughts...

I’d just clean the guns well , foul each with a couple primers and start getting with the 209.

I’d just clean the guns well , foul each with a couple primers and start getting with the 209.
Ok that’s what I was hoping to hear. I’ve seen different processes. What product are you using specifically to clean up with?

If you're cleaning after the last t7 load you'll need to clean with soapy water of damp patches or whatever they clean T7 fouling with. If you're cleaning after shooting BH209 all you need is a few clean patches and some Hoppes gun solvent that you'd use on any cartridge gun using smokeless powder. I just wet a patch with hopes and run it thru the barrel front to rear once. A new patch is dampened with Hoppes and is worked thru the barrel maybe 10 strokes. The a third and fourth dampened patches. After the fourth damp patch I start with dry patches using both sides until the last one comes out clean. To finish I dampen a patch with WD40's long term corrosion protectant product [NOT the same as regular WD40] and make a single pass thru the barrel. Before fouling with primers for the next shoot I run a patch wet with alcohol thru the barrel a couple passes to remove the corrosion protectant, followed by a single pass with a dry patch, then primer foul the barrel.

I honestly think that people using the BH209 powder are over thinking the cleaning on the guns, feeling they need to scrub like mad with brushes and what not. The residue left from the 209 powder, while still somewhat corrosive if left in the gun for say maybe a month, is still oily feeling and slick so multiple shots need no patches between them. Sabots actually load easier on a dirty barrel with 209, or at least that's been my observation. In cleaning the patches seem to do a sufficient job without the brushing. I actually spend more time on my breech plugs and the barrel threads where the plug screws in than on the barrel proper. Mess with some shotgun brushes and see which gauge fits your plug threads in the barrel. For me its a 16 gauge in my three CVAs, 12 gauge in a couple other inlines. Cleaning these threads well after shooting can go a long ways to headaches down the road if not cleaned. Depending on the guns the threads may or may not be easy to clean but taking the time on them will reward you as will the time spent on the breech plugs.

Just keep in mind that BH209 is the only powder one can shoot in an inline that requires a solvent based cleaner and you'll be good. And there are a ton of excellent bore solvents an the market today.

When you find a shotgun brush that fits tight enough without being super tight to clean the plug threads in the breech end of the barrel. just use the shotgun rod and slide it carefully down the bore from the muzzle end, then screw the brush on. You'll be able to turn the brush counter-clockwise, without the brush coming un-screwed, which will back any crud in the threads out to the end of the breech. Once I have the length needed to clean the threads on the shotgun rod I wrap is with masking tape heavy enough to protect the rifling at the bores end. The brush will keep that end centered and off the rifling there. My rod is aluminum so I'm really not in any danger of harming the rifling but I feel better knowing the rod is buffered a little. Pop the brush off when you have the plug threads clean and back the rod out.

Back