Your best “rescue” stories, related to BP firearms?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just posted on another thread, and got to thinking about “ruined” blackpowder guns.

I’ve heard many horror stories about BP/Pyrodex corrosion, and have seen some badly pitted guns. Still, I think that sometimes people get carried away with “story time” when it comes to corrosion/pitting. I’ve “rescued” several muzzleloaders that were not well cared for, and had been written off as junk. Most of them cleaned up well, to the point that there wasn’t any real damage, beyond cosmetics.

——

The worst I have had was a brass-framed Pietta 1851 Colt Navy replica. I bought it as kind of a favor, from a neighbor who didn’t need it, and needed my $100 bill more than I did. His son had loaded it up, “lost his nerve” about shooting it, and got to where he was scared of it. 🙄🤭

On the flip side, as Dirty Harry might say, “A man has got to know his limitations.” 😎

Anyway, an -ahem- “gunsmith” had told the kid to deactivate the charges by pouring water in the nipples. That is probably fine… assuming that the kid then pulled the charges and cleaned/lubed it properly, prior to storage. Not the case! 😳

The revolver was definitely “tight…” A little TOO tight! Cylinder gap was nonexistent, as it was rusted shut. Obviously, the action was locked up. I sprayed Kroil into the nipples that I could reach, as well as “everywhere else.” Judicious use of a non-marring nylon hammer got the wedge out, and the barrel off. I pulled the balls, and emptied the chambers.

I let the whole mess soak in some more Kroil, for another week or two. I got a couple of the (very rusty) nipples out. I let it soak some more, and eventually got a couple more nipples out, tapping with a center punch, right in the nipple opening. (Not gently, either!)

I think I drilled the last two from the rear, I don’t fully remember. Somewhere I picked up the idea that the nipple steel is brittle, so I ended up placing the cylinder on a block in the vise, and whacking the nipples with a center punch until they more or less shattered. I was able to pick the pieces out with a fine pick, and was eventually able to chase all the threads with a tap.

I suppose it doesn’t count as a “rescue” yet, since I haven’t reassembled it and shot it, yet. It’s been sitting (in pieces) in a coffee can, for several years. Periodically I give it a shot of Kroil, and say, “See you next year!” 😆

One of these days, I’m going to “make something happen,“ and put it all together. I’m planning some sort of mild customization/skill-building project, though I’m not sure exactly what. I’m thinking of shortening the barrel, which will necessitate cutting a dovetail in the underside of the barrel, to reposition the retainer for the loading lever.

While I’m at it, I might as well cut a dovetail in the top of the barrel, so I can slide in a meaningful front sight. The tiny brass cone that is considered a front sight would be better used as a conehead on a trout fishing nymph… My middle-aged eyes could use an honest to goodness sight blade, at this point!

What sort of “rescue missions” have others here taken part in?

Last year, I bought 2 old CVA Mountain Stalker rifles that had been advertised as having "good bores".
One barrel was pretty rusty inside and looked like someone used a piece of rebar for a ramrod.
I pulled the barrel, plugged the nipple and filled it up with Evaporust. Let it soak for a few days then started cleaning. I worked on that barrel for hours, lost track of the time but finally got it cleaned up pretty good. There's still some marks in the barrel from the bore down a few inches.
I took that gun to the range finally and found that it shoots pretty darn good with a patched ball.
The other gun barrel wasn't much better with the nipple being pretty stuck. Same routine with the Evaporust and I had to use a cresent wrench with a length of pipe as a breaker bar to unscrew the nipple.
That barrel still has some pitting but it shoots awesome with the Hornady PA conicals.
In fact, last muzzleloader season, I took a spike horn with it.
I think that gun is one of my favorite deer rifles now.

Last year bought a Dixie flint southern mountain rifle off'n an internet auction. Lock rusted solid, red rust on everything and "tiger striped" stock. Didn't have "pits" on the outside of the barrel - it had lupus.

Oddly, the inside of the barrel wasn't in awful shape. Kroil and good advice from t he forums helped the project come around. She sparks good, goes "pft - bang" and shoots ok at least to 60 yards. Not the prettiest gun, but that good feelin' when done was nice.

At one time, it was someone's pride and joy. Too bad so many M/L's lie around neglected, but they are fun to fool with - even if rusted up,

I had been looking for a 1:20” twist .45 omega for a long time and missed out on several. When i finally found one i didnt ask the condition, i just overpaid to get it into my hands. The barrel had been cleaned before i bought it so it didnt look too bad with a flashlight. I should have stopped there and just started shooting it. Instead i made the mistake of buying a good borescope and looking inside. Looks like Michigan roads in the springtime, and not in a good way. Pits and potholes everywhere, from the plug to the muzzle. Knowing it was impossible to remove these pits and pocks I spent a good amount of time polishing that bore with lots of different cleaners and polishers. JB bore paste, Mothers Mag cleaner, valve lapping compound, Lee Shavers barrel break in, steel wool with bore shine, even Scotch Brite and JBs on a cleaning jag. I know i did more harm than good in there but it’s sure shiny now. Some of the worst pitting was closer to the muzzle so i’ve cut it down some and now have what i believe is the only .45 omega carbine at 21” barrel length. I paid a real gunsmith to recrown the barrel and after bead blasting and putting it into a pepper laminate stock i really like the way it looks and feels. It still shoots well enough to 100, and i could carry it around the woods all day or swing it around in a blind or tree stand easily. Won’t win any competitions tho. But its a keeper and will sling big old lead bullets nicely.

the 45 cal rifle that I put in as what is it was so bad I couldn't get the ramrod into the muzzle. I took it to have it bore scoped Smith said it was rusty and filthy so I set to work. First I took wet/dry 220 grit sandpaper worked on the first 6" of barrel. Finally got the ramrod to fit the first time. When I bought it I thought it had the wrong ramrod. I kept working with a 38 cal jag and scotch brite with hoppys #9. I cut one sheet of scotch brite into1.5 in squares used all of that, 3 hrs later rod bounces off breach. Going to shoot it tomorrow ,it's going to be a plinker just a good to me Shenandoah style rifle

the 45 cal rifle that I put in as what is it was so bad I couldn't get the ramrod into the muzzle. I took it to have it bore scoped Smith said it was rusty and filthy so I set to work. First I took wet/dry 220 grit sandpaper worked on the first 6" of barrel. Finally got the ramrod to fit the first time. When I bought it I thought it had the wrong ramrod. I kept working with a 38 cal jag and scotch brite with hoppys #9. I cut one sheet of scotch brite into1.5 in squares used all of that, 3 hrs later rod bounces off breach. Going to shoot it tomorrow ,it's going to be a plinker just a good to me Shenandoah style rifle
Please keep us updated!

I found a very nice CVA Kodiak in .45 cal at a local Scheels Sporting Goods store for under a C-note about five years ago. It came with the proverbial kitchen sink. When I first saw the gun in the store, they wanted a bit more than what I got it for, so I let it sit for almost 6 months before approaching the department manager and made my $$ offer. He said the gun was taking up space and took the offer.

As mentioned, the gun was in very good shape in spite of having been a T7 pellet gun. The barrel was clean and crisp rifling. The gun came with 9 packages of assorted bullet/sabot combos so my initial shooting with it was done using the freebies using BH209 powder. I bought two new plugs and drilled them for vent liners to facilitate the BH powder. After a couple of range days, I decided to take the gun down and peek at the trigger assembly and found it a mess. Apparently, the person who owned it previously didn't feel the need to do a real thorough cleaning once the barrel and plug were done. After blasting crud out of the mechanism and doing a lube job I finished with the cleaning and for giggles I put a spent primer in place to try a couple trigger pulls and was welcomed with a super nice pull of about 2-3/4 pounds. Smooooooth with just a hint of creep.

I've hunted the gun on a couple occasions but find it a bit heavy for me to climb the hill I have to climb to hunt unless it is relatively warm out and I don't have to climb with heavy clothes on. At at the range this .45 is consistent at 100 yards with sub-1" groups. The gun really likes the 200 grain .40 cal xtps but when I do hunt it, I do so with 195 grain Barnes expanders and the deer hate the outcome. I love the range time with this gun not only because it is consistently accurate, but because the 90 grain charges are easy on the carcass.

Its black on blue so it's not a Cadillac, but it's a shooter. I'm not a long-range guy but in my opinion, accuracy is the footprint for deer hunting, any hunting for that matter. This gun delivers.

Almost 50 years ago I was working for my future father-in-law in his excavating business. We were doing some work on a house that was being gutted and remodeled. One day the owner came out with a very old muzzle loading rifle. He had just opened up a wall and found the gun between the studs. I wasn't at all interested in black powder in those days, but my father-in-law wanted that rifle in the worst way. He negotiated a deal, and we took the gun home with us. It was a cap lock, and all I remember now was the wood was dark, almost black, and there was some rust around the lock. Dad's plan was to disassemble the rifle, clean it thoroughly, then put it back together and shoot it. The bore was huge, and eventually I determined it was 69 caliber. Dad dismounted the action but no matter how hard he tried he couldn't get the breach block to loosen. Being a tractor and truck repair kind of guy, he got the idea to clamp the action in a padded vice and apply a little heat to the breach block. As the shop was oriented between the house and the barnyard, he had placed the rifle in the vice with the barrel pointed toward the barn. This was fortunate because after a few moments with a torch the gun fired, sending a huge chunk of lead through the back wall of the shop, across the barnyard and through the back wall of the equipment shed. It was only luck that kept all the cows out of the path of that bullet, and for years afterward when I recalled the look on Dad's face I would break out laughing.
After that incident he gave up on cleaning the gun, and set it near the fireplace in the family room. Somewhere I scrounged some 69 caliber balls, and I found a formula that said place the ball in the palm of your cupped hand, then pour enough black powder into your hand to cover the ball. This would result in a correct charge for the rifle. One day, with some trepidation, I took the rifle out to the field behind the barn, filled my palm with black, loaded the rifle and touched her off. The gun was surprisingly easy to shoot with that charge, and whenever a friend came over I would take the rifle out and shoot it for them. It never failed to impress. Dad has been gone a long time now and my brother-in-law inherited the gun. I keep telling myself I need to borrow it from him and see what I could learn about its origin.

man, I love survivor stories. on with
my" I don't know what it is" .went out and shot this morning results: fired well, shot light load 40gr. Pyrex rs, rpb no target just wanted to see if it would work. later found a tree knot at 40 yds ,light load ,was 1 in low .still recovering some hidden stamping marks ,square box with AA in it and pn beside that. just want a shooter not a hanger

maybe not a rescue story . but i was given to use for as long as i want 2003 optima that had been loaded (but no primer) for 10 years or so . i have zero muzzle loader experience but here's the before and after of the bore .

20220506_144041.jpg20220506_152738.jpg

there is some shallow pitting but i'm told it safe to shoot it .
20220506_173220.jpg

in a PM Jitterbug said the barrel could use a little more elbow grease with some J-B bore paste .
and he suggested i share the pics in this thread .
much thanks to him and others who have helped me get into muzzle loading , jeff

I bought a couple cheapie cleaning rods and 50 caliber bore brush with the 8/32 threads at Walmart.
I connected up enough sections and chucked it in my cordless drill. I screwed the brush on the end and ran er up and down the barrel a bunch of times on one of my project guns.
A few drips of Evaporust on the brush for good measure.
That exercise loosened up a ton of crud.
Definitely worth a try.

there is some shallow pitting but i'm told it safe to shoot it .

in a PM Jitterbug said the barrel could use a little more elbow grease with some J-B bore paste .
and he suggested i share the pics in this thread .
much thanks to him and others who have helped me get into muzzle loading , jeff

Hi, Jeff-

Great to see your post and pics in this thread. Definitely counts as a “rescue” in my book, if you can put an unused rifle back into service! :lewis:

I personally wouldn’t hesitate to shoot it, but that’s strictly an ”opinion” on my part. You know what they say about opinions… 🤭

I’m looking forward to hearing what other folks (with more experience than myself) have to say about the bore appearance/condition, and safety.

I would think that there have been a lot of traditional muzzleloaders shot with bores a LOT worse than that- the shooters just couldn’t get a good look at the bore! 😆

that's why I resurrected my rifle. according to the Date code mine was made in 1975.I still wish I could nail down the manufacturer, just for my own information. I really don't care as long as it shoots. jeffb1961 when I started I couldn't get the ramrod into the muzzle ,working to bring it to shootable condition is very satisfying. I figure shooting it more will bring the rifle back. like I said before listen to the folks here ,there's a lot of experience.

folks here have been very generous with sharing their thoughts and experiences and no one has complained about my being wishy washy changing my mind asking similar questions about similar products . i appreciate it :)

I bought a couple cheapie cleaning rods and 50 caliber bore brush with the 8/32 threads at Walmart.
I connected up enough sections and chucked it in my cordless drill. I screwed the brush on the end and ran er up and down the barrel a bunch of times on one of my project guns.
A few drips of Evaporust on the brush for good measure.
That exercise loosened up a ton of crud.
Definitely worth a try.

thanks for the tip , i'll try that with my nylon brush .
i was surprised how fast the brass brush that came with my kit seemed to have lost it's bite in the barrel .
glad someone here suggested getting a nylon brush .

I don`t know if this counts as a rescue,but here goes; My first Bp gun was a CVA Blazer . I bought it used from my local sporting goods store.After using it for about a season and a half,the screws holding the barrel to the stock stripped out, rendering the gun inoperable.It got put in a box and shoved under a bed . Fast forward 15 years,I heard about a recall on this particular gun .After contacting Cva I shipped it back and they swapped it for a CVa Optima.{GOOD TRADE}.

Latest posts

Back