Your shooting bench

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
My old outdoor bench is in need of some repairs after 15 years. The frame doesn't need replacement, but I'll replace the 4x4 legs just to say I did.
The bench is 3'x6.5' with an arm rest. I prefer the larger bench table as everything fits on top it.

Anyone ever try truck bed liner for the top of their bench? It would seal it and make it non-skid.

I have seen one but not used it. Would be ruff on the elbow but that could be easily solved.

I have seen one but not used it. Would be ruff on the elbow but that could be easily solved.
I use elbow pads when target shooting. The Ultimate taught me that quickly ;) With the bench exposed year round to the elements, I need to keep the top sealed instead of covering it with a tarp.

I will be building another bench this summer and am kicking around the idea of using maintenance free decking for the top. Wont have to worry about rain and snow on it.

I will be building another bench this summer and am kicking around the idea of using maintenance free decking for the top. Wont have to worry about rain and snow on it.
That would be a great idea, although somewhat expensive, but it sure would last. You'd have to secure the pieces tight together so things didn't drop into the cracks.

Wonder if the bed liner would get hot and sticky in the direct sun?
I doesn't get sticky in the back of a truck, so I wouldn't think it would on a bench.
03mossy might have a much better idea using something like Trex decking. I really prefer a flat surface, but after looking over our porch it may be a much better and less messy idea.
The wife, bless her heart, told me to use a piece of extra vinyl flooring we have left, but I don't think in the long run she'd like looking out the back window at a almost white piece of flooring covering my bench. LOL

60 mil white roofing membrane would work. Your local commercial roofing contractor may have scrap pieces reasonably priced. Free is worth saving for.

The composite decking material is easy to work with and is forever. There are many brands and finishes in this decking so checking around for the smoothest surface as some are textured and may hold dirt and grit that comes with being outdoors, but for the most part is very easy to keep clean..

Here's another thought...I'm wondering if one could have a muzzleloader barrel sprayed with lineX bed liner? There is a dealer locally will have to call them to see if possible an if done before.

Somehow I think Encore wants to make his shooting bench surface more durable. I'd avoid anything like that spray on product on the barrel....I see a nightmare in the making there.

My brother sprayed the floor of his boat with bed liner. It was not a good choice. It wasn't as durable as you would think. Every seem cracked and the floor became eneven and slippery. Indoor outdoor carpet may be a good option. I like the trex idea as well. I get raw elbow if shooting off a hard surface for very long so something on the soft side would be good. Looking at building a portable one for myself so keep the ideas coming.

Ive sprayed several muzzleloader barrels with bed liner, makes them impervious to moisture and it wears like iron.
It works great on stocks also.. For the bench I would go with the composite decking, for the size of bench shouldn't cost too much.

Ok, I said to heck with the spray on stuff and took 03mossy's thought and put it to work. Didn't have much of a selection at Home Depot, but I'm not driving 2 hours to Lowes. I … THOUGHT... I could get away with the existing frame until I removed the top this morning. Ok, I seen it turned into a complete new build.

Treated 2x6 frame, treated 4x4 legs. What I found out is, the Trex they make today isn't completely solid like a board. It has waves on the bottom I guess to save materials.
I put this thing together and one thing for sure...… I'm going to need a wrecker to get it into position! Holy Smokes is that thing heavy and solid!
I don't have a lot of wood working equipment, short of a hand power saw, saws all and a saber saw. I need to knock down the Trex around the screws yet, but it'll work and out last me.
I rounded the corners of the arm rest after the photos were taken.

IMG-1625a.jpg

IMG-1626b.jpg

That turned out great! Should last a long long time.

Side note- I like how you have the slingshot sitting on carpet, it’s like it’s tucked in with a blanky lol

That turned out great! Should last a long long time.

Side note- I like how you have the slingshot sitting on carpet, it’s like it’s tucked in with a blanky lol

OMG is that thing heavy though. I'll spin it around and back the Gator under it with the bed down and just lift it when putting the bed up. (Powered ;) )
I used regular exterior screws with the larger heads so it won't pop off/up in bitter cold. Thanks for the idea, which is much better than spraying.

Side note - Yes the Slingshot is tucked in and always on carpet LOL That thing is more fun than anything else you can do with your clothes on.

Last edited:
Looked over the old seat and that needed replacing too. I had just enough pieces left to build a new seat, which is also ROCK SOLID and heavy. Seat came out really well with a Trex top too.
Did I mention that bench was HEAVY???? As planned, I used the Gator with the power bed and got it loaded and headed for the shoot'n lane. I believe this whole outfit will out last me ;)
I had one piece of Trex about 8" long was all that was left. Entire cost $197 NELM prices.

IMG-1631a.jpg

I went a different custom made bench that is portable. I live in the city to I needed a bench I could transfer in the pickup to where I can shot.

Xbow set up.jpg

Attachments

• Xbow set up.jpg
    Xbow set up.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 8
So what happens if the wife needs the hose and you're out making smoke?

Latest posts

Back