Your Thoughts on this Bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chieffan

Reaction score
These are cast from wheel weights in a knight sabot. 340 grn. Plan is to start with 80 gn pellets and go from there. These have a flat nose about 3/16" across so not sure how they would perform on a white tails deer. I welcome any and all comments as I am trying to catch up on ML after many years out of the picture. Will be shooting Knight .50 cal inline Wolverine.

20201124_174316.jpg

These are cast from wheel weights in a knight sabot. 340 grn. Plan is to start with 80 gn pellets and go from there. These have a flat nose about 3/16" across so not sure how they would perform on a white tails deer. I welcome any and all comments as I am trying to catch up on ML after many years out of the picture. Will be shooting Knight .50 cal inline Wolverine.

View attachment 11288
I think the bullet would be better suited for deer hunting if it was made out of pure lead. I think wheel weight is a little too hard.

You won’t get much, if any Expansion at all With Wheel Weight Lead at Typical Muzzleloader velocities using Real Blackpowder, or it’s Substitutes. They will Just poke a Hole Straight through. Poor choice for hunting North American Game, Especially Deer. They would be fine for Deep Penetration on Dangerous Game.

1-40 Alloy at 8.5 BHN is the ABSOLUTE Hardest stuff i would personally use on North American Big Game, Wheel weight Lead is 12.5 to 14 BHN, REALLY Hard Stuff

Thanks. That is what I was wondering. Bullet would go straight through with minimal damage. Can use them target shooting I guess. Will see about rounding up some pure lead and cast some. Or save the time and work and just buy some lead bullets.

Stumbled onto a U-Tube video where a guy uses special artist drawing pencils to test for hardness in lead. Called Steadler Art Pencils and has a chart that shows the pencil to hardness comparison. From this chart it looks like a 40:1 - wheel weight to pure lead would be about right ? ? Your thoughts. Gad, have I got a lot to learn .

SAM_1353.JPG

I like the pencil method, it will give you a quick ball park figure without breaking the bank or doing a lot of math that some of the testers require.

If you go over to Mountain Molds the owner discusses a couple of his own homemade brinell testers, many of the commercial ones and although doesn't go into a lot of detail he does the pencil test as well.

I picked up 3 boxes (10)ea. Hornaday 300 gr bullets in a sabot with the powder stem on them. Forget what they call them right off. Had them on close out for $5 a box. Went back a couple days ago and got the rest of the 300 gr, 3 more boxes at $5 ea.. Only thing I am concerned about is when one loads the entire load with pellets and bullet, the powder could slide off and go to the breech plug. If that stem don't stay perfectly straight and one seats the bullet, and the stem does not find the hole in the powder, there is a gap between the powder and bullet. I think I will cut the stem off inside the cup and not use it at all,

Back