Redemption Results?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkey

Reaction score
Anyone have any pros or cons about the Redemption muzzleloader?
What groups are they keeping at 100 & 150?
Will a new design be out in 2014?
Thanks

I don't own one but, I do know someone who does. He likes the rifle but..... he's having trouble getting it to group tight. He's worked with different bullets etc and I haven't heard lately from him. He was getting 4" groups at best. He won't shoot long range until he gets it grouping at 100yds. When I talked to the manufacturer about its 200yd abilities, they wanted to change the subject. I think the jury is still out.........

I have talked with three owners and all are having 100 yard plus accuracy disappointment. They all are still trying to find the right combo. Any news on if the company will have other models in 2014?

I have one topped with a 4X Burris Timberline. I load it with a 270gr Speer Deep Curl, Traditions sabot, 130gr Pyrodex pellets, and Winchester 209 primer. My last 3 shots on paper @ 100yds, I put 2 in the same hole and the 3rd was about 1 inch away. I didn't have time to try 200yds.

After playing with the Redemption, I'd have to give it a C for a grade at best.

Pros: Shoots great, nice balance/weight, easily taken apart to clean (the barrel comes off like a single shot shotgun), no blowback.

Cons: 1) Limited on scope setup. Because of the barrel release tang design, the lowest scope base height I could use was the high mount. This caused me to add on a cheek piece to the stock to get a solid rest. Because the scope base is mounted far forward, I had to use extension rings to get the scope closer to my eye. 2) The ramrod is a cheap aluminum. I've already scratched the heck out of it with limited usage. The bullet jag has a non standard thread, so swapping to a different jag requires some thought and rod work. 3) The trigger has a light pull, but a lot of slack for my taste. 4) You CAN'T use 777 and barely use Pyrodex. When I use 777, after one shot, I can't remove the primer without using pliers. Pyrodex is better and BH209 is not an issue. 5) Because of the barrel/breech insert interface, there is a LOT of fouling between the 2. If you don't remove the plug after 2-3 shots with Pyrodex (777 is worse) and give it a quick wipe, you'll need a stiff rod and a hammer to remove the plug. The barrel rifling goes the full length and the plug insert is only the diameter of the lands. So fouling is allowed to come back through the grooves. Removing the plug isn't an issue with BH209. 6) The cocking slide sticks up enough that if you use a scope with a larger objective, you might have problems pushing the button to release it.

I've emailed with Patrick at LHR and he's confirmed the powder limitations through their testing and justified (on their behalf) the scope base placement.

I'm not completely dis-satisified with the LHR Redemption, but if I had known all these issues, I wouldn't have bought one.

That being said, if you use BH209 and don't care about the high scope setting, it would be a great ML.

A very interesting read of the observations Banerbird.

I also have an LHR Redepmtion, and have only shot 777, and Pyrodex in it. Have not tried BH209. I have put about 75 shots through it, using mostly 777, and some Pyrodex. I have had no issues removing the breach plug, or insert. In fact I think this is the most user friendly breech plug I have seen. When I clean at the end of a shooting session, I use Outer's Gun Grease on the insert, and on the breach plug threads. This has worked well for me. As for scope mounting, I am using a Nikon 3X9X40, and am using Warne Quick Release Medium Rings. I did have to move my scope to the rearward position to get proper eye relief. I lucked out, or I might have had to get extension rings. I do wish the ramrod did not have the large thread on the end, so I could use a different loading tip. All and all, I will have to shoot it some more before I make a final judgement.

What primer were you using? I've never had an issue with 777 until now and have been using it for years. I really don't want to change if I don't have to. I tried Winchester, CCI, and Federal. All had the same results where I needed pliers to remove it after every shot.

They were going to send me one of those rifles when they were sending them out to the writers. That was until they found out how I would test it. That said, I didn't receive it.

Last Thursday I had a post-opt visit and while in town, I stopped at one of our larger sporting stores. Of course the first place I head to is the firearms. There they had two (2) Redemptions hanging from an end rack. Aha, my first chance to actually get one in my hands. One rifle was entirely black, the other camo.

Let me just say................. If I were GIVEN one, I'd do my very best to sell it quickly to someone I didn't know without even shooting it. I certainly wouldn't give it or sell it to a friend or someone I knew. EVERY post, except the one above, that I've read, owners are having a hard time getting the rifle to group. Its certainly evident why. I broke the first rifle open and the first thing I noticed, what that the barrel would move in the frame side to side at the end (muzzle) 1/4". I closed the rifle and it still moved back and forth at the muzzle, at least 3/16". I checked the hinge pin and it almost fell out. Ok, there's another hanging there, so I assumed that it would be a better rifle. WRONG. Same exact identical movement of the barrel in the frame, open and closed. A rifle with a barrel to frame hinge like that, is why most I've heard can't get their rifles to group, no matter what they load.

If the poster above has one and it shoots good groups, he better consider himself lucky from what I've seen and heard of the Redemption. I would never consider one for myself or recommend one after handling those two rifles.

I am using CCI primers. No problems. I had tried Winchester 777 primers at first, and did have a few stick after firing, so I went to the CCI. Also, I never noticed any play with the hinge pin. After reading the last post I checked mine anyway. There is no play at all when I break the breach, in fact it is "tight". When I close the breach, again no play at all. It is locked up tight.

ENCORE50A said:
They were going to send me one of those rifles when they were sending them out to the writers. That was until they found out how I would test it. That said, I didn't receive it.

Last Thursday I had a post-opt visit and while in town, I stopped at one of our larger sporting stores. Of course the first place I head to is the firearms. There they had two (2) Redemptions hanging from an end rack. Aha, my first chance to actually get one in my hands. One rifle was entirely black, the other camo.

Let me just say................. If I were GIVEN one, I'd do my very best to sell it quickly to someone I didn't know without even shooting it. I certainly wouldn't give it or sell it to a friend or someone I knew. EVERY post, except the one above, that I've read, owners are having a hard time getting the rifle to group. Its certainly evident why. I broke the first rifle open and the first thing I noticed, what that the barrel would move in the frame side to side at the end (muzzle) 1/4". I closed the rifle and it still moved back and forth at the muzzle, at least 3/16". I checked the hinge pin and it almost fell out. Ok, there's another hanging there, so I assumed that it would be a better rifle. WRONG. Same exact identical movement of the barrel in the frame, open and closed. A rifle with a barrel to frame hinge like that, is why most I've heard can't get their rifles to group, no matter what they load.

If the poster above has one and it shoots good groups, he better consider himself lucky from what I've seen and heard of the Redemption. I would never consider one for myself or recommend one after handling those two rifles.

So if someone came up with a fix for the loose pin issue (if there is a widespread issue) or Redemption fixed it would you recommend it to someone?

I wasn't impressed with the overall ergonomics of the rifle. It appears that it would require extended rings to get a scope back far enough and to center the turrets between the rings.

A tight hinge pin is critical on break open rifles for its best accuracy. When holding that open rifle and the stock under my arm, both those barrels had so much movement, it amazed me that they even passed the inspection process. However on the other hand, these may be the same engineers that worked on the Encore platform rifles at T/C.

I would definitely have to have tighter hinge pins to even consider shooting one or recommending one. Also, more than one owner of the rifle, even with a tight hinge pin, would have to provide great accuracy reports too. If a newly manufactured rifle or the majority of them, won't shoot better than a 3" group at 100yds, those guys have a lot of work to do.

Yeah I know all about tight hinge pins and trigger jobs and whatnot because I had to do all of that to the Encore Pro Hunter I used to own. Loved it afterwards but wasn't as accurate without doing all that stuff. Hopefully LHR will figure everything out and put out some accurate rifles because it is nice for there to be options in the muzzleloading market for people.

I was SO close to buying one when they first came around.. then I thought Its just too new, let them hash out the quirks on someone else. Watch the reviews and wait and see. Im real glad I did now, And at this point, I dont even want it anymore. Maybe another Knight next :D

I would be interested in purchasing a LHR™ Redemption Combo - Black or wood grain 1120LS. Is there anyone out there wanting to sell?

All those mentioned are gone. That which is there, I might as well purchased from my local gun dealer...they are retail.

Poster is looking for the 20 inch barrel model #1120LS. Model 1120 is 24 inch. The prices showed on gunbroker for either model are not retail they are far below that. IIRC price on muzzle-loader.com for 24 inch is $540.

Latest posts

Back