Fall is Coming

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's been a little slow recently so I thought I'd stir up some daydreaming on the pending hunting season.

Depending on where you live, MZ season is sneaking up on us. Here in KS we have a split season. We actually get the first crack at them the last two weeks of September and then I can use my MZ during the rifle season in early December. This year I'm going to try the Sept. hunt for the first time. I've been told it's a challenge but it will be good to give it a try.

The last two years I've been hunting with a 45 Knight Disc Elite and the 200 Grain SST. I have great confidence in this rifle. However, over the summer I purchased 100 rounds of 300 grain Nosler Partitions. I've heard such good reports on their performance I thought I'd give it a go this fall. I will use the 50 Knight Disc Extreme. The T-Hole really fits my face nice vs. the standard stock. I think I have fat cheek bones.

The go to load now is:

300 Partition
Harvester Long Sabot
100 grains of BH 209

What will the crowd be hunting with this Fall?

Our firearm whitetail seasons are as follows:

•Regular Firearm: Nov. 15-30
•Muzzleloading: ◦Zone 1: Dec. 5-14
◦Zone 2: Dec. 5-14
◦Zone 3: Dec. 5-21
•Late Antlerless Firearm: Dec. 22 - Jan. 1

It really gets great in the muzz season, when we get snow and really cold. Brings them out into the bean fields. New rifle and can't wait :wink: However, if I can still make out the sights on the bow, I may get an Oct. 1st start

Current load:
180grs T7M
300gr SST

Knight Mountaineer left hand.
100 grn (volume) BH 209
w209 primer
HPH 24 sabot
308 grn self cast custom sabot mold, resized to .452 (cast from soft lead, I want to get at least one with them, to test some theory's)
OR 300 grn SST with supplied red sabot (Has same POI, as main load)

in my state, this year bow starts sept 14, through jan. Muzzy/shotgun with all permits dec-jan. almost all zones are unlimited doe, 1 buck this year per weapon, 2 with bow (one fall, one winter)
130 class is a big deer, They are small, but they are probobly the most deer per acre anywhere I know

DSC00441_zps6c7e2eac.jpg

DSC00444_zpsbe5cc7f2.jpg

Im not sure yet. Its usually a toss up between the 54-120 and the NULA. This year i may take the DISC Original 45 and use a 460gr conical.

P1030985.JPG

The rifle will be an X7 rifle, with a 1X Nikon mounted, per regulation. Loaded to be able to shoot as absolutely far as i can see through the 1X scope. The load i currently plan to use is 110g Blackhorn, 300g Deep Curl, Federal 215 primer, crush rib sabot.

IMG_2887.jpg

I'll be using the Nintendo 64 cal. with 120vac .5 amp...........OOOPPPSS....sorry wrong rifle :huh?:

I'll be using my Knight Elite 45 cal with 120gr BH209 and a Barnes 195gr Expander with a Harvester smooth blue sabot. It will most likely be the Iowa late muzzleloader season.
CopyofIMG_0245_zpsece736de.jpg

The first season for hunting will be mid September for the Iowa youth hunt, which is my favorite time to be in the field. My son and daughter will be using the TC Impact with 60gr BH209 pushing a 250gr Barnes TMZ.
66891.jpg

My 15yr old will be using his Triumph with 100gr BH209 and a 250gr Barnes TEZ with a Harvester smooth black sabot. He loves his rifle and is a crack shot in the field with it.
IMG_0325.jpg

My older son and wife can pick and choose any rifle they want but I will recommend that they shoot my knight Elite with the combo posted above or the Apex with 110gr BH209 using a Barnes 250gr TEZ with the Harvester smooth black sabot.
IMG_2883.jpg

I'll be shoot a encore 100 grain bh209 300 sst bullet . Doe hunt sept 20-21 with a handgun can't wait .

Well myself I am a meat hunter first and foremost, so on opening day I will be taking out my new Weatherby Vanguard S2 Sporter chambered in 7mm Rem Mag, I don't have any pictures yet as I'm still saving for the Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 I'm topping it with. Then depending on my hunting style I might take out the Ithaca M37 Deerslayer if walking. When I go to the swamp this year the MK-95 in 54 cal is getting the nod. Once MZ season get here I'll either hunt with the 45 Elite or the KRB7.

8)

Here in IL there is 16 days that you can hunt with your Ml'er. The season is called DEER FIREARM SEASON. With that being said, you can hunt with shotgun with slugs, 357 or larger handgun with a 4" barrel and or a muzzleloader. ( That's the weekend,3 days, before Thanksgiving and the weekend, 4 days, after Thanksgiving. The next weekend, which is usually the 1st weekend in Dec. It's ML'er ONLY season for 3 days. That's 10 days so far. Now in Jan for the hunters who can cope with the subzero temps there 6 more days you can hunt in the same county you applied for with your firearm but you can only take a doe. Even if it's a buck tag, you can take the doe an legally tag it with that left over tag. Those 6 days are the LATE WINTER FIREARM SEASON.
So in reality, here in IL, you can hunt the entire season with your smokepole. I'll be using my Hawken .58 cal this year with a .570 round ball. GOOD LUCK ALL :!: :!: :!:
IMG_0479_zps983d8e59.jpg

Ray.............. :yeah:

Early MZ season is 1st two weeks of November in VA. Late season is last two weeks of Dec. an 1st week of Jan. I will be taking the White Super 91 in .451 using 480gr. Bullshop conicals an 80gr. of T73Fg....two shots last season two in freezer! :yeah:

I'm mostly in IL for deer hunting lately. I'll use my Knight Elite 45 cal, 110 grains of B209. I may try the 200 grain Hornady 40 cal bullet or even the 200 grn SST this year. Last year I took 2 with the 195 grain Barnes bullet.

I have a Zeiss Conquest 3-9 on my Knight, it's been great.

sqezer said:
I'm thinking it will be the .45 Super 1-20 with the 200 gr. Sabotless Leigh Bullet. :yeah:

That is exactly what I had planned, but today for some reason I went another direction - so I am going with the ULite and a .458-275 grain Lehigh Bloodline... But it is still a long ways to October 10

muskrat30 said:
I'm mostly in IL for deer hunting lately. I'll use my Knight Elite 45 cal, 110 grains of B209. I may try the 200 grain Hornady 40 cal bullet or even the 200 grn SST this year. Last year I took 2 with the 195 grain Barnes bullet.

I will be using my Elite 45 for the first time this year with the 195gr Barnes. Just curious as to why you may be using something else this year? Performance issue? Just want to try the others out?

In nys we get one week in the northern zone.... I hope to use my white thunderbolt if I can dial it in some moree if not the trusty x7....

BuckDoeHunter said:
muskrat30 said:

I will be using my Elite 45 for the first time this year with the 195gr Barnes. Just curious as to why you may be using something else this year? Performance issue? Just want to try the others out?

Well, last Fall I tuned up my 45 cal Elite not to long before season. I went right to the 195 grn Barnes. This year I want to test more of my different combinations, SST, and XTPs with Harvester sabots. My plan is to get on it just after school starts. It may be that the Barnes shoot as well as my SSTs in the past have. The 2 deer last season didn't go very far after the hit, so nothing against the Barnes. I just have more evaluation to do, mostly just the testing of accuracy. I like the crush rib sabots better too, could mix & match to the other bullets.

Even though the 50 Cal SSTs have worked very well in the past, the post shot analysis never looks as pretty as a Barnes mushroom.

Well Here in Oregon I have an "Any Elk" Tag. My season starts Oct.18th before rifle Elk but after Rifle Deer.
I will be using one of my MK-85s with Peep sights and hooded front. We are required to have open ignition and caps (no primer ignition) We are not allowed to use saboted Bullets so it will be bull shop 460 gr. conicals over a stout charge of triple 7.
I cannot wait

sabotloader said:
sqezer said:
I'm thinking it will be the .45 Super 1-20 with the 200 gr. Sabotless Leigh Bullet. :yeah:

That is exactly what I had planned, but today for some reason I went another direction - so I am going with the ULite and a .458-275 grain Lehigh Bloodline... But it is still a long ways to October 10

My son is going to Colorado for a wedding in November where he is best man, then the Bride, Groom, and my son are going on a Elk Hunt. I'm trying to talk him into taking the .52 I got from you Mike, that would make me happy. :yeah:

Back