Recommend FFFg loads for 250gr bullet in CVA Optima LR

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffinnorthcarolina

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I'm looking for recommendations for FFFg hunting loads pushing 250 grain bullets for the CVA Optima LR 50 cal rifle.

Background info:
After 35 years of hunting with a Thompson Center Hawken 50 cal with iron sights, I have retired the old faithful rifle. My 60 year old eyes aren't what they used to be and neither is the old rifle. I've repaired and replaced parts a few times along the way but unfortunately reliability has become an issue on two separate hunts last season.

I recently purchased the aforementioned CVA Optima LR rifle - I'm pleased with the purchase.

I'll be starting with the Hornady 250 grain SST bullet. It would seem that the powder of choice for this rifle is Blackhorn 209. However, I can't see spreading my cheeks to pay for a product that appears grossly inflated. If prices become more reasonable I'd go for it, but I need a good plan B (FFFg - regular blackpowder) now for next hunting season.

Additional info:
I hunt south Georgia swamps with whitetails weighing 80 - 150lbs and 90% of my shots are within 30 to 50 yds.

Thanks for your replies.

Welcome from New Jersey . Enjoy ! I would suggest starting around 80gr by volume up to 100gr & shoot at a50yd target and see what groups the best , then I would try again at 100yds and if you are still in the ball park ,I think that is all you need . But you need to shoot first to find out what works for you ! Enjoy & good shooting !

Gentlemen,

I'm looking for recommendations for FFFg hunting loads pushing 250 grain bullets for the CVA Optima LR 50 cal rifle.

Background info:
After 35 years of hunting with a Thompson Center Hawken 50 cal with iron sights, I have retired the old faithful rifle. My 60 year old eyes aren't what they used to be and neither is the old rifle. I've repaired and replaced parts a few times along the way but unfortunately reliability has become an issue on two separate hunts last season.

I recently purchased the aforementioned CVA Optima LR rifle - I'm pleased with the purchase.

I'll be starting with the Hornady 250 grain SST bullet. It would seem that the powder of choice for this rifle is Blackhorn 209. However, I can't see spreading my cheeks to pay for a product that appears grossly inflated. If prices become more reasonable I'd go for it, but I need a good plan B (FFFg - regular blackpowder) now for next hunting season.

Additional info:
I hunt south Georgia swamps with whitetails weighing 80 - 150lbs and 90% of my shots are within 30 to 50 yds.

Thanks for your replies.
Now you’re in the right forum for that question

I agree. Start at 75-80 gr and shoot 3 times. Move up 5 gr and repeat the process….. until you find an accurate load and you can stop.
I doubt you will have to go above 90-95. Hopefully less.

Last edited:
Welcome from the North FL swamps! Running the fffg in my Handi Rifle 50 I use 100gn by volume and the 250 sst. My rifle also likes the same charge with a 270gn federal bore lock.

I'd start at 90 grains by volume with a 250 grain bullet and work uphill from there. Many bullets like or need to be pushed fairly hard to get the best accuracy, so I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if your sweet spot isn't found closer to 110 grains with the Optima and it's 1:28 barrel. My Accura V2 gets less than an inch at 100 yards with a 250 grain XPB Barnes and plain black sabot [Harvester] ahead of the weighed [77grains] equivalent to 110 grains of either T7fffg or Bh209. Five grains in either direction and the groups open up to almost two inches. Since your shooting is likely to be much closer than the 100 yards tight groups are maybe less an issue.

Bullets are something I'd look into though. SST's are great shooters, but there is a whole world of bullets out there that might do better. And as for the powder, do as I do: shoot the fffg T7 granular at the range, then use the same charge of BH209 in the field when hunting. Ballistically and charge-wise the two are near identical, but the BH gives you some security in the field that T7 won't give you. You don't have to go broke to shoot, just prudent.

I have a total of 6 CVA barreled guns with 1:28 twists…2 are 50cal and 4 are 45 cal…
All shoot their best groups with 100-110 grs of T7 fff….once I deciphered which plastic sabot they prefer…but in general they prefer tighter fitting..

For instance in one 45 cal the light blue crush rib sabots…spray 6-8 inch groups…same bullet in the tan sabots give me 3/4” groups @50 yds. and 3” groups @100yds…but that is with an open peep sights..a scope would shrink that significantly..

But every gun/ powder/ bullet combination is different. No reason not to start at 80 gr. He might find a good load at lower powder and save powder and recoil.

95-100 gr of fffg powder would be roughly equivalent to 100-105 gr of ffg powder. I know you guys are using fffg as well but that’s a pretty good thump. I am more accurate with less thump.

That said, increasing the size of the bullet might stabilize better at lower powder amts too. I generally use a 300-350 gr bullet for everthing. An extra 50 gr of bullet doesn’t hurt regardless of the game you are after. And shooting short distances, he doesn’t have to worry about bullet drop.

Last edited:
Back