S&W eliminating T/C ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52Bore

Reaction score
I heard today that Smith & Wesson who own's T/C announced sometime last year that they are discontinuing all T/C ML products. Only keeping the T/C bolt action rifle.
This is sad news indeed.
The gentleman who told me said that's why the TV programs are now being sponsored by CVA, Traditions, etc..
I'm somewhat new to this board, so my apologies if this has been covered. I looked and couldn't find any info.

If I remember correctly, I may have heard that same thing 2 years ago. I couldn't find any facts of it being true or not true. That would be a sad day. BPI is flooding TV with ads for CVA and Traditions, its about money.

However, at least someone will still be making a good muzzleloader, Knight, Remington, Ultimate Firearms Inc.

dont make sense to discontinue a good seller. I hear that rumor sporadically, but I doubt it will ever really happen. its a moneymaker, they are a business, But I guess the unexplained happens every day...

Nostradamus I'm not, BUT...............................

Busta said:
» Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:14 pm

T/C don't have a clue what it takes to shoot a big heavy lead conical.

But when 90% of the guys want to shoot saboted bullets, from a business standpoint they (T/C) probably aren't even going to listen or care.

It sure would be easy for them to make a model that didn't have a QLA, but then they might have to eat a little crow.

That 1:48 twist is not going to get it done, and with a QLA to hinder acuracy as well. :roll:

I say, if you want a T/C to shoot a conical, lop-off that QLA and recrown it, it (QLA) does NOTHING but add unusable barrel length to a rifle IMO. ANYTHING past the crown of a rifle can only HINDER accuracy, unless you can dial it in like a BOSS or similar, and not practical in a muzzleloader.

I really think they would be surprised how many sabot shooters would buy a new rifle without a QLA as well. That (QLA) is the ONLY thing that has prevented me from buying a post QLA T/C rifle.

While we are dreaming, make that new closed breech rifle without a QLA a 1:24 twist in both .45 and .50 caliber! The first company that does will sell a ton IMO.

I currently do not own any CVA rifles, but I have checked them out quite close over the last year or so. The OLD CVA rifles have never caught my eye, although servicable, were never the quality of the NEW CVA's. The APEX would be my first choice, but the Accura and the NEW Optima are very nice rifles as well. The barrels and triggers on these rifles are superb, and that is what makes a muzzleloader accurate. I personally don't care for the Encore/Accura/OLD Optima style stocks, but the new APEX and new Optima stocks feel like a rifle shoud IMO.

My prediction is that CVA will be eating T/C's lunch in less than 2 years, if T/C don't get it figured out. And if Knight doesn't introduce something that is truely innovative, like closed breech rifles with a faster twist (1:24) to better handle the new longer saboted, as well as sabotless bullets such as the FPB/THOR/LEHIGH, and other long for caliber monolithic bullets (copper/brass) that some states require, I doubt they will ever be able to regain any market share other than loyal Knight owners.

CVA has gotten it together, Knight and T/C better take note, or they will be left in the smoke.

T/C seems to be more worried about their advertising campaign (Shockey/Waddel) than they are about listening to their customers or reducing the price on their rifles, bet that will change over the next 2 years.

The ONLY thing that has prevented me from buying a CVA rifle (APEX) is my deep-rooted BUY AMERICAN bias, it surely isn't the quality of the rifle, as I prefer it over the Knight KP1 and the T/C Encore. If they came out with a stainless steel / brown laminate stocked model, it would surely push me over the edge!

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17066&p=130342&hilit=CVA+eating+T%2FC%27s+lunch#p130342

Busta said:
» Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:01 am

Sounds like you have been living on a rock in the South Pacific, or something? :lol:

First heard about it back in March 2010, with confirmation a few days later.

I wish them well, but CVA has been eating their lunch for a year now. T/C better watch their six too!

Busta said:
» Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:36 pm

Boy, you can say that again. Oh, you did! :lol:

T/C came out with a NEW Impact muzzleloader this year, what a PIECE of SH...WORK that is, and at around $250 to $300. The NEW 2010 CVA entry level Wolf can be had for $169, a NOS blued Bergara barreled Accura for $200, a 416 Stainless 2010 Optima for $216, a NOS 416 Stainless Bergara barreled Accura for $250. All of the CVA's are much better rifes, for less money. The Bergara barreled 416 SS/Synthetic stocked Apex can be had for $472 + FFL & SH, the premium switch barrel tip-up rifle on the Market IMO.

The only IMPACT, the Impact is going to have on T/C, is a negative one IMO. The Triumph is a great shooting rifle, but without a real stainless option, and a stock I don't care for, I'll never own one. The Omega has had a great run, as well as the Encore. All of these rifles will find you digging much deeper in your pocket, for less rifle. WHY should anybody have to buy a trigger kit, spring kit, 1x or 2x hinge pins to get a $900+ rifle to lock up and shoot solid? The QLA being nearly an inch long on the T/C's are another reason I don't like them.

Knight has got a very hard row to hoe, and their re-entry to the market will either make them, or break them. At least they got a deal with Green Mountain to make their barrels, a very good thing. Knight has to let go of the models that brought them down in the first place. The management was far more responsible than the poorly though out half-baked rifles IMO. The models that need to go IMO, would include the Revolution/II, KRB7, Vision, Shadow. These rifles are all capable of shooting very well with the GM barrels, however the mechanics are some real "Engineering Marvels" (sarcasm added). :roll:

Those Bergara barrels are the best quality OEM production barrels in the industry at the moment, IMO. The barrel is the most important part of the rifle, then add a great trigger, very good breeching system, great synthetic stocks, and the best QRBP, CVA has several things to be happy about.

Hopefully Knight can work the kinks out of the Knight Disc Ultimate Slam, and Improve on the KP-1 platform. A QR breech plug design for the KP-1, as well as a totally NEW tip-up designed muzzleloader only rifle. Of course this will all have to be done to compete with the NEW 2010 quality CVA line up, a very challenging task that may be impossible at this point.

The best thing going for them is that people are "Brand Loyal", the only thing keeping T/C in the game at the moment as well. Don't get me wrong, all my muzzleloaders were built in the US, and are quality. But, the speed and direction CVA is going in, it will only be a matter of time before the biased "brand loyal" crowd realizes that CVA is playing "hardball", and at the Major League Level as well. You will be hard pressed in 2010, to find a better production muzzleloader than what CVA is currently putting out, at even twice the price.

My prediction is that CVA will be eating T/C's lunch in less than 2 years. Lets face it, the muzzleloader market has been pretty well saturated. The only companies that will be able to stay in the game are the ones with truely good innovations, like better barrels, triggers, breech plugs, stocks.

I do not personally own, nor have never owned a CVA rifle, but I know people who do. I own 3 Whites, 6 Knights, 3 H&R/NEF's and a T/C. I have shot and compared these newer rifles to the Knight's and T/C's. If CVA comes out with a brown laminate stock for the Apex, there will be no holding me back. If you haven't looked at a CVA lately, take a look at the 2010 rifle line-up and accessories, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. And you don't have to pay Shockey, Waddell or the Drury's a thing to own one. Maybe Raglin! :lol:

Like I said, I wish Knight well. I think this is a whole new market than it once was.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17489&p=131370&hilit=CVA+eating+T%2FC%27s+lunch#p131370

I bought my first CVA in 2011, Optima Pistol, and I'm certain it will not be my last. Been looking hard at them Accura MR's. $379 for real stainless steel, and a honed/polished Bergara barrel. But I have between 15 and 20 muzzleloaders now. Lost count! I'm a sucker for great shooting Tip-Up's. If they would put a brown laminate stock on them, I would already be there.

It will be a sad day, but S&W was driving the bus when it ran into the ditch. I really did see it coming, and CVA has been eating their lunch for the last couple years. T/C lived, AND died with that damned 1"+/- long QLA, and that awful WeatherShield painted on finish right to the end. CVA has a 3/8"+/- long BGM, and real stainless steel. Just the way I see it.

............................. I told you so!

Busta nailed it. I own a TC Omega and it is a fine gun but my White and Knights get the majority of my time. Would like to see someone clone the Whites or at least copy the barrel. I have a older wolf that I let friends and family use and for the money shoots darn good and has taken several deer.

IMO we here as a group know what makes a great muzzleloader and the components(breech plug design,powder use ability,etc)that make it all gel.Unfortunately (and this is NOT a personal slam)I'd be willing to bet these companies are trying to sell to the TV watching kool-aid drinkers who may use a muzzleloader just a few times a year,which leaves the market pushing cheaper guns,pelletized powder and powerbelts. I'm a diehard Knight guy,but have not seen much out of any company that makes me want to replace my stainless disc extreme. We unfortunately aren't a booming market like bow hunting which is limiting our options greatly.

I know they discontinued the Omega and a few others as of a couple years ago, but is this latest rumor saying that they are discontinuing there entire muzzleloader line?

Don't kno what they're eliminating, but they did just buy Battenfield Tech. that's into shooting,reloading, gunsmithing & cleaning supplies, such as Caldwell,Tipton,Wheeler and Lockdown Vault acc. to name a few

Re: S&W eliminating T/C ML

I emailed them and ask if the rumors were true. They emailed back and assured me that they knew nothing about it. They said it is just rumors.

ep427 said:
I emailed them and ask if the rumors were true. They emailed back and assured me that they knew nothing about it. They said it is just rumors.

Didn't they say the same thing about the Hawken?

Back