Harvester Bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harvester sabots are my No.1 choice in my 45 and 50 cals. My smokeless 45 will keyhole bullets with the MMP tan sabot but Harvester smooth blue group nice.

Curly Wolf said:
Anybody have some good or bad feedback on this brand? More importantly tome, how does the crush rib sabot hold up with BH 209?
My Accura V2 shoots both the 260 and 300 gr PT Golds extremely well, although the 300s are a bit more accurate. I've had no problem with the crush rib sabots holding up with up to 120 gr of BH 209, however the black crush ribs load too loosely and don't give me acceptable accuracy with the PT Golds in my Accura V2. The red crush ribs or MMP Black HPH/12s work wonderfully and give me great accuracy in my rifle with the PT Golds.

how does the crush rib sabot hold up with BH 209?

They will hold up fine. They are very popular with Savage owners using .458 bullets to get a very tight fit. BH209 produces far less pressure than those loads. However, they may be too loose in your bore when using a .451 or .452 bullet. I had no ignition issues with them in my Extreme 50 but accuracy was poor because the bore ran a little bit large.

The bore in my ULA is a true .500 and i have better luck with the Harvester Smooth Black (For upto 300gr bullets). Its the shorter of the 2 black smooth sabots offered by Harvester. My ULA also shoots the 260gr PT Gold very well with that sabot.

Both my son & I are shooting 300gr Scorpion PT Gold bullets with Harvester Smooth Black sabots, him in his Wolf & me in my Optima V2. My son is shooting 85gr (V) of BH209 and I'm shooting 95gr (V), both using Win 209 blue box primers. They are shooting 1-1 1/2" groups at 100yds for us, equal to or better than 300gr Hornady SST w/ hi-speed low drag sabots.

We have the Harvester crush rib sabots too, but the smooth black seem to group a bit better in our CVA's. We've also shot the 300gr PT's in T/C Super Glide sabots and Hornady 45/50 black sabots too, but the Harvester smooth black are what we are hunting with.

My son shot his 1st deer yesterday, a nice doe approx. 120lb dressed at 30yd. broadside. The bullet went in behind the near front shoulder, missing ribs, turned the lungs to mush, took out 3 ribs on the off side and carried on thru the far shoulder leaving a large exit hole and shattered bone. No blood trail produced, but it was raining which may have washed away sign quickly? There was a lot of internal bleeding however. The bullet was a complete pass thru, but we found the polymer tip in the off side shoulder while skinning.

I've yet to shoot a deer with my ML, but I'll be sticking with the PT Golds for now. I think we'll try the 260gr as well.

Latest posts

Back