My Accura shreds Barnes TEZ sabots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My CVA Wolf is stipping the tez 250 blue petals clean off too, on a new gun
Thats totally normal. As long as its shooting ok, dont worry about it. Thin petal sabots will lose petals occasionally. Whats not normal is people using way way over max loads then complaining about blowing sabots. The Harvester EZ load (for upto 300gr bullets) is tougher and about the same loaded OD as the Barnes/MMP blue sabot. Its so strange ive shot tons of loads exceeding 2300fps or even 2500fps yet i never get this horrible sabot fouling some people say they get.

Then again im not exceeding max load data either and my bores dont look like a 4yr old rifled them.

I still haven't checked long range accuracy with the blues. At 50 yards freehand shooting off my knee I got a 3" 5 shot group. Then the mosquitoes got me and I said screw this! I have some H5045SB Harvester sabot that came with my scorpion PT golds. Will those work they load easier than the blue sabot and are a tad shorter. I can also get H15045BR Harvester crush ribs 50 for $10. Im limited on options in Canada.
20230908_180846.jpg

Last edited:
I have some H5045SB Harvester sabot that came with my scorpion PT golds. Will those work they load easier than the blue sabot and are a tad shorter.
Yes they will work and they can handle heavy loads very well. Ive shot that sabot upto 2450fps with a 275gr bullet with no problem in one of my custom built rifles.

Last edited:
Shiner Montana Xtreme has a plastic solvent that will remove sabot residue. Also I used Harvester black CR sabots with the 290 gr Barnes TEZ and get good accuracy

Here's something I did to my ML.

I've been using the Thor™ Hammer 247 Grain Hollow Points (all copper) - .50 Caliber. No sabot needed. These are hollow points and hollow base all copper bullets. No plastic to melt in the bore. I bought the Thor sizing kit to confirm the exact diameter bullet for my barrel. The bullets my barrel likes is the .502 diameter size. The copper base conforms to the rifling for a nice tight seal.

I used 3M Scotchbrite metal polishing pads to polish out the microscopic metal fibers inside the bore. once you get the plastic streaks out of the bore and polish the fibers out of the bore, its a breeze to clean.

1703425242761.png

Been a while back but people used to say that never happened with today sabot, you just proved it does

Well men, I put the bore scope down there and saw a whole lot of streaks that I assume must be plastic. So I got out a little over bore size wire brush, wrapped with a cotton patch loaded with JB and went at it for most of a couple hours. Cleaned all the grit out of it and took another picture of the bore at the same point about midway down. I have attached the before and after. See any difference? I think I need that plastic solvent!
You need to use shooter choice cleaning solvent . It's what shotgunners use that shoot trap and skeet, sporting clays. It will remove the plastic. And drop your gun powder to about 84grn. of black horn.

Latest posts

Back