Knight LK-93

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One of these for bid on gunbroker. Since it's a plunger action can't be used with black horn? Can IT be converted? Any opinions on this gun?

Definitely NOT recommended to use BH209 in plunger guns. Nice little no frills guns, they are usually very accurate with #11 ignition and pyro, T7, or black. Can be converted to 209 ignition, but imo there is no advantage to doing so.

Do a search, there has been a bunch of threads lately on plunger knights for some reason.

I would definitely Not recommend shooting BlackHorn in a Plunger rifle. The blowback pressure can be enough to cause the plunger to re-cock. If that happens you can get primer parts blown out into your face or even the recocking of the plunger can ruin the hammer spring. I have had the spring get ruined so no I would not recommend it. Even Western Powders don't recommend it.

Not going to argue. The OP asked about using Bh powder in a plunger rifle and I gave my opinion based on my experience. If yours is different that is ok. There are others here that had bad experiences too, including picking primer parts out of their forehead.

The breechplug I linked above makes a positive difference! :drinkers:

Never heard of anyone putting a Ventliner in a plug for a Plunger rifle. Why did you do that, to try to limit back pressure? Just curious.

When BH was new, and before I had seen posts about re-cocking, I had a re-cock on my BK92 when I shot a nice buck. It didn't cause a problem but it did concern me. I haven't used BH is a plunger rifle since.

On the issue of using BlackHorn 209 in a Knight LK-93 ... it is a plunger style rifle. Some call them hammer striker rifles. If you go to the Black Horn site, they will warn you not to use their powder in plunger style rifles for safety reasons. That being the primer centers can blow out from the back pressure and then that center hit the shooter.

When I was testing BlackHorn 209 I was shooting it in a T/C Black Diamond XR. Let me state the Black Diamond XR is a very well made rifle. Solid, accurate, just a nice rifle. And even though I knew it was not advised to be used in this plunger style rifle ... I felt it still safe to do so.My attitude was ... it will never happen to me. The second shot out of the rifle, I suddenly felt a sting to my forehead. Then blood ran down my face. Going into the house I could see the center of the Winchester W209 primer embedded in my forehead. With tweezers, I was able to surgically remove it. After cleaning the wound and a band aide. I returned to my range to continue my testing. But as for testing Black Horn 209 with a plunger gun ... FORGET IT! You don't have to have a tree fall on your twice to know it hurts.

Could you shoot the powder out of a plunger gun like the LK-93 ... sure you could. Are you taking a risk? Yes you are. Why risk your eyes, or anything else just to shoot the latest and greatest claimed powder. 777 and Pyrodex works so well in my LK rifles. Its amazing. 85 grains and a sabot and you're shooting bulls eyes. Is it worth the risk to your person to use a powder that could and in my case did, cause injury with a plunger gun? Well you be the judge. If that's your kick to risk it, and to avoid warnings of the manufacturers themselves ... the so be it.

Keep the #11 cap ignition. I shoot 85 grains of 2f powder (usually 777 or black powder) and most any sabot I want to shoot with amazing accuracy.

Normal safety precautions as usual, and I have not seen a reason to exceed 100grV for either accuracy or velocity. I only use 90grV. I have made sure all my earlier posts referring to my testing with the Wolverine II rifles show CLEARLY the recommended loads are BY VOLUME not by weight.

Now, my testing with NFPJ plugs is a much different story, for another day...

Hate to see someone pass on an opportunity to get into affordable fun shooting because of unwarranted fears or rumors. Many folks got started with plunger guns, and they still get the job done just fine

I do not agree totally with your statement. In my post above I stated it happened to me and ruined the spring on my hammer, so I am not spreading mis-information or rumors, and stand by my recommendation. I did not mention which plug it was but for your info that was a red FPJ I tried in a Knight MK 85 54cal. I discontinued its use and do not have it anymore, just did not see the need for it. No it did not have the vent. I too have done a lot of experimenting on some rifles and the KRB7 is one. The addition of a Ventliner did not allow that rifle to shoot Blackhorn, but that is for another discussion and was posted here a few years ago (6 ot 7 page thread if I recall). I currently own 3 plunger rifles and 3 that are a combination plunger/bolt.

I did look at the link above. I see what you mean about the ventliner in the RFPJ plugs, but all of the new Knight plugs to my knowledge are or were made by Lehigh and all have the brazed in Ventliner. I do not see anywhere that Knight mentions it is safe with BlackHorn 209 powder.

I once had the FPJ come off the nipple with 777, but it was laying sideways in the action between the nipple and the plunger face.

I realize you stated this was with 777, but why do you think that happened?
That is how I found mine too, with BH209) but the spring was compressed so much that it was too short and a bit deformed for good ignition and had to be replaced before I let a friend have it. Took only one time for me to decide it was not for me.

If it is working for you and you want to shoot Blackhorn that is ok with me as you say you have tested it for yourself. Again the OP asked this question and I gave my recommendation based on my experience not a rumor, I don't see that I told him NOT to do it. The other thing is none of us know what plug is currently in the rifle he is looking at, but I would have to assume that since it is an LK series rifle it most likely does not have a ventliner.

I will restate my BH209 loads are LESS than 100grV, with 90grV being a great performer. The Wolverine II's are "ok" from the factory for magnum loads, but I don't load them that heavy.

I hope I have been clear about limitations on charge weights and which plug actually works. Safety is always the primary concern.

Decided to use ffg Triple seven. If I use this in one of my 209 ignition guns can I use the regular shotshell primer (209A), or do I need something other?

Yes. Nothing else need for a 209 rifle to shoot 777. One of the cooler ML 209s like Kleenbore or 777 209's would maybe lessen the crud ring build up some. Just swab between shots and you should be fine.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. I in fact bought the gun. I'm sure I overpaid for the gun but OK with it. I am however a little confused with WMT54 breach plug link above. For conversion to 209 do I need the kit with hammer assembly?

Is there a specific reason why you feel like you want to change to 209?

Reason being... the #11 system in the Knight plunger guns is one of the best ignition systems ever made. Its flawless. Truthfully you really don't gain a thing by going to 209. #11 caps with pyrodex or T7 will fire instantly, consistently, and be very accurate. I have a bunch of plunger rifles...I've used both. IMO, there is no real advantage in going to 209. The plunger rifles will have some blowback with either ignition, and they perform the same. If you can find RWS 1075 caps, they are the best imo. Using #11 will give you a much less crud ring in the barrel also, especially with T7.

If you choose to convert, yes... you will need the conversion kit. The plunger for 209's has a cone on it for the 209 primers...the #11 is flat.

Most of these Knights shoot 90-100gr loose powder and 240-260gr saboted bullets lights out with the 1:28 twist. :yeah:

Latest posts

Back