TC Pro hunter & Blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ronlaughlin said:
If the rifle/plug were mine, i would use a #65 drill to enlarge the flash hole. This may or may not cure the problem. If it doesn't cure the problem, my next step would be to utilize a vent liner to move the powder closer to the primer, as Scott suggested. Doing both steps should have the rifle firing reliably.
That would be my next suggestions too. :yeah:

.029 is too small of a Flash hole for LRP especially as far away from the primer as the TC is. You will probably still need an o-ring like GM stated.

ENCORE50A said:
ShawnT said:
ENCORE50A said:
In the past, I've shot the 215M's using BH from my Ultimate and ignition was good, using very heavy bullet seating force.

I'd have saved the money and left the factory BP in the rifle. My Pro Hunters went bang every time using CCI209M primers, BH209 and Barnes bullets seated HARD.
Encore50A,

Do you know what size the flash hole is in your plug? Just curious.

I'm totally at a factual loss but, I think its .040". It is larger than my T/C flash holes. I wasn't thinking when I had it out to measure it. Its not coming out now............
I don't blame you at all there. My cousin made me some for my MK-95s and I have one OEM plug left (No more available) he has several Pin gauge sets and his pin said my original was .037. My used one is over 10 years old and it was .038. I shot Pyrodex for many years though.

bestill said:
I would recommend putting factory breech plug in it and use federal209A primers , 100 gr blackhorn by volume and 290 Barnes fitting tight. It will shoot and go boom every Time

Shhhhhh don't give away all our secrets! ;)

The Prohunter and Bh209 are working fine now. Drilled out the breechplug to #65 as suggested and drilled the primer face to accept an o ring. He shot about 10 times with no hang fires and no blow back.

My buddy is very happy now with his gun, he corrected all the problems with his Prohunter.
- no longer has extractor problems.
- gun is totally clean after shooting.
- bullets are easy to load now. Harvester sabot.
- more accurate than ever.

Thanks to everybody that helped us do it rite! :prayer:

That is great to here. :yeah: Love to here it when a rifle gets working right!

Is he still shooting the LR primer or back to 209s?

i have always used bh209 in my tc encore with factory breechplug and have never had a hang fire or failure to fire.. I do clean it after every shooting session and use drill bit and welding tip cleaner. guy

He stayed with LR primer. He had a lot of trouble with the extractor and removed it. Vari flame system primers fall rite out.

NjRay said:
He stayed with LR primer. He had a lot of trouble with the extractor and removed it. Vari flame system primers fall rite out.
OK. I thought so. IF he has any ignition trouble when it gets cold out tell him just to switch to a LRMP (Mag LR Primer), such as CCI 250 or Fed 215 and that should do it. I use both (I prefer the CCI) in my MK-95s and I have never had a problem down to about 10 degrees or so.

Ok thanks for the info. He is using the fed 215. So far so good!

He should have no problems with the Fed 215. :yeah:

Back