Free TC Black Diamond Rifle with scope :-/

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teddy james

Reaction score
Here we go. Buddy called and asked if I wanted a ML. I said yes of course. Were pretty close so it's no surprise he got something for me, although most of his "gifts" are questionable in nature. In all my excitement I started an internet search for reviews on powder, and the costs of some of the accessories I might need. My buddy sent me a picture of the rifle. Instantly I thought Ruger but no, TC Black Diamond. I asked if the barrel was rusty and he told me that he hasn't looked at it. I said "Look at it!" I heard some eww's and oh's and then, "Its not the cleanest I have seen" followed by "Surely he didn't shoot it and not clean it!"

We quickly got off the subject of rusty barrels and I started to tell him about my frustrations of not being able to find much soft lead for casting, and how I'm trying to save as much money as possible. His response was to try using aluminum if you can't find lead.

I don't profess to be very smart, but I'm not going to even try to use anything other than almost pure lead. At this point I realize that he has no clue about ML's and evidently whoever he got it from didn't either. I think its going to be scrap iron.

Here is how I think it played out. Person 1 bought the gun at normal retail price in early 2000's. I'm guessing around 350 bucks. He shoots it 4 times but never cleans it. It sits in corner rusting inside out for 20 years. Person 1 takes to pawn shop where owner says no, its junk at this point. Person 1 walks out. My friend goes over to his house where person 1 says that he has a gun for sale and gets 200 dollars for it.

It looks good on the outside, but from his reaction its pretty bad on the inside. I'll hold off on any supplies until I get a better look at it and see if I can bring it around to shootable condition.
1679365844430.png

Welcome from Oklahoma.
It's such a shame that many of these fine old guns have been destroyed by people who have really no clue about how to take care of them.
I've acquired a couple old muzzleloaders that were in bad shape but with some patience and elbow grease, I was able to get them back into reasonable condition. I was able to take a deer with one of them, so I was pretty happy to know that my efforts didn't go for naught.
Good luck with the project.

Ive told this story before. I got one from a friend and you couldnt see the rifling. With some Lee Shaver treatment (use the search and you will find it here) I could see the rifling but pretty tough shape. No matter. It shot lights out. Get out the elbow grease and you could have a good shooter. Welcome.

Welcome from southwest Oklahoma.

The bore may not be trashed. I have cleaned up a big bunch of neglected rifles, some bores were not badly pitted.

Be careful not to lose any parts:

Remove the bolt retainer from the rear of the action along with the spring, bolt handle, bolt handle retainer and bolt. Remove the nipple and replace with a good waterproof stopper: A 1/4 by 28 TPI grease fitting works just fine.

Stand the barrel breech down and fill bore with Evapo Rust, let stand for 24 hours, pour Evapo Rust into original container and clean the bore.

Last edited:
Here we go. Buddy called and asked if I wanted a ML. I said yes of course. Were pretty close so it's no surprise he got something for me, although most of his "gifts" are questionable in nature. In all my excitement I started an internet search for reviews on powder, and the costs of some of the accessories I might need. My buddy sent me a picture of the rifle. Instantly I thought Ruger but no, TC Black Diamond. I asked if the barrel was rusty and he told me that he hasn't looked at it. I said "Look at it!" I heard some eww's and oh's and then, "Its not the cleanest I have seen" followed by "Surely he didn't shoot it and not clean it!"

We quickly got off the subject of rusty barrels and I started to tell him about my frustrations of not being able to find much soft lead for casting, and how I'm trying to save as much money as possible. His response was to try using aluminum if you can't find lead.

I don't profess to be very smart, but I'm not going to even try to use anything other than almost pure lead. At this point I realize that he has no clue about ML's and evidently whoever he got it from didn't either. I think its going to be scrap iron.

Here is how I think it played out. Person 1 bought the gun at normal retail price in early 2000's. I'm guessing around 350 bucks. He shoots it 4 times but never cleans it. It sits in corner rusting inside out for 20 years. Person 1 takes to pawn shop where owner says no, its junk at this point. Person 1 walks out. My friend goes over to his house where person 1 says that he has a gun for sale and gets 200 dollars for it.

It looks good on the outside, but from his reaction its pretty bad on the inside. I'll hold off on any supplies until I get a better look at it and see if I can bring it around to shootable condition.
View attachment 32583

That's a nice gun. I have a .45 and .50. Breechplugs are hard to come by so take care of it.

Wow. Actually I just did a two hour search for one. Nothing. No spare parts is definatly a deal breaker for me. I refuse to invest any money time into anything I can't repair if need be. Anyone wanna trade for something you CAN get parts for? If not ill just throw it into the scrap pile. :-( Actually no need to be in this forum now that I realized this... what a bummer.

We wiill see but with all the other issues I have it just pisses me off.

Found one on ebay you say? Wasn't there when I searched... maybe they never go bad? History of this gun says its stuck and can't be removed... and im not even going to try to scrub the barrel without it removing it... seems all I ever get is junk.. whether as a gift or bought at twice the market value lol..

Been there done more than my share of these old in-lines biggest issue will be breech plug, I usually replace those running $13-$17 pending where found. 4 ought steel wool, 10W30 are my friends pending pitting most has been surface rust removes nicely hot water (close to boiling hot) and ballistol. I have found these old dogs got a heck of a fight left in them when properly cared for.Then I am an odd ball cut my teeth on a Buckhorn Mag was introduced to a Wolf the "NEW" QRBP eh ok I guess just did not have that feel, if that makes any sense. That old Diamond might be one heck of a keeper

Back