TC Pro hunter & Blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NjRay

Reaction score
My buddy has a TC pro hunter 50cal, and he switched to Blackhorn 209 due to me raving about it and reading about it as well. He had his breechplug converted to large rifle primer system and is having hang fires? I believe he is using large rifle 250 primers and Barnes expanders with black harvester sabots. He is getting under 1" groups at 100yds but the hang fires are not good.

The guy that converted his bp said he is putting to much pressure on top of his load? Said to just push sabot onto powder but don't compress ?

Is this correct??

The guy that converted his bp said he is putting to much pressure on top of his load? Said to just push sabot onto powder but don't compress ?

Is this correct??

No, that is a bunch of hogwash. Ive always very firmly seated mine when using BH209. Never had a problem. Maybe he needs a hotter LRMP like the Fed215 or 215M. Both are true MAG LRP. The 215M is the match LRMP.

Did Cecil at Precision Rifle do the conversion? He has been known to tell some "whoppers" before.

He is using cci primers, the Feds are hotter?

Is this system reliable ?

I would recommend putting factory breech plug in it and use federal209A primers , 100 gr blackhorn by volume and 290 Barnes fitting tight. It will shoot and go boom every Time

He is having troubles with his extractor so very happy that he removed the extractor and this new rifle primer system just falls out with no troubles. Sometimes he couldn't close the gun due to the extractor not lined up rite.

Did Cecil at Precision Rifle do the conversion?

I believe Ron has an Omega with the new PR conversion that uses stainless steel modules. His Omega conversion seems to work pretty good. Does this rifle have a plug like an Omega or is it the long QR breach plug like a Triumph?

IMO if its the long QR plug he is far better off with a 209 MAG primer.

NjRay said:
My buddy has a TC pro hunter 50cal, and he switched to Blackhorn 209 due to me raving about it and reading about it as well. He had his breechplug converted to large rifle primer system and is having hang fires? I believe he is using large rifle 250 primers and Barnes expanders with black harvester sabots. He is getting under 1" groups at 100yds but the hang fires are not good.

Is this correct??

Does your friend know what size the Flash hole is in the LRP plug? Does his large Rifle Primer fit in the plug or in The Vari flame adapter? I use the same CCI 250 LRMP in my MK-95 and shoots Blackhorn fine and it is in a plastic Speer case.

His large rifle primer fits into the stainless Vari flame adapter.

And yes Cecil did the conversion.

We tried T7 after all the hang fires and had no problems
He still maintained about 1" group.
Due to the extractor problems he's having, 209 primers are not an option.

I'm assuming the flash hole is still factory sized.

In the past, I've shot the 215M's using BH from my Ultimate and ignition was good, using very heavy bullet seating force.

I'd have saved the money and left the factory BP in the rifle. My Pro Hunters went bang every time using CCI209M primers, BH209 and Barnes bullets seated HARD.

Could be carbon up, between the primer seat and the touch hole, could be it is not sealing up properly you can tell because it will have some blow back, could be too small a touch hole.

ENCORE50A said:
In the past, I've shot the 215M's using BH from my Ultimate and ignition was good, using very heavy bullet seating force.

I'd have saved the money and left the factory BP in the rifle. My Pro Hunters went bang every time using CCI209M primers, BH209 and Barnes bullets seated HARD.
Encore50A,

Do you know what size the flash hole is in your plug? Just curious.

NjRay said:
We tried T7 after all the hang fires and had no problems
He still maintained about 1" group.
Due to the extractor problems he's having, 209 primers are not an option.

I'm assuming the flash hole is still factory sized.
Check the flash channel for carbon build up like Lee mentioned. If he tried a bunch or 209 primers then it may be carboned up. Sometimes you can't I tell by just looking at it. I don't recall the drill bit size for TC but you can try an 1/8"bit turned between your fingers. I also don't have a TC to measure the flash hole but it might be on the small side for LRP. Just a guess but it may be around .029-.031 for a 209 primer. If you have a set of torch tip cleaners that have a smooth tip, try them till you find the largest that will go in that small flash hole, then measure it with a caliper. If you have a local machine shop they might measure it with a pin gauge for you. 777 does not need the heat that BH does. There is less flame and pressure using the LRP than the 209. You need to know what size that flash hole is.

Also check and see if he is getting blowback. If he is you will see soot on the sides of that vari flame adapter. If so the leakage might be the problem.

I seem to remember Ron using a o-ring in the primer pocket with his LRMP plug for his Omega. I THINK he had some blowby without it. The longer the plug the more critical leaking becomes. Its harder to get all the heat to the powder if a portion of the energy is leaking.

Im not sure what other modification PR makes to the plug but the OEM flash channel size is 1/8". An 1/8" hex head drill bit in a nut driver handle makes it super simple to clean the flash channel. A regular 1/8" bit and a pin vice work fine too.

breach_kit.png

bp_status.jpg

bp_diagram.jpg

Personally i think that a LRMP system in that plug is just too long. The distance from the primer to the flash hole though can be shortened by adding a recessed vent liner on the powder side. Ron might be willing to make this modification for you.

ShawnT said:
ENCORE50A said:

Encore50A,

Do you know what size the flash hole is in your plug? Just curious.

I'm totally at a factual loss but, I think its .040". It is larger than my T/C flash holes. I wasn't thinking when I had it out to measure it. Its not coming out now............

Definitely not carbon build up. New breechplug converted to Vari flame large rifle primer, never had a 209 shot through it.
Matter of fact the first 2 shots he took were both hang fires. Than about 5 straight shots with no hang fire.
Then it started again?

If the rifle/plug were mine, i would use a #65 drill to enlarge the flash hole. This may or may not cure the problem. If it doesn't cure the problem, my next step would be to utilize a vent liner to move the powder closer to the primer, as Scott suggested. Doing both steps should have the rifle firing reliably.

Back