Good Elk Load

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbf1961

Reaction score
I got out on the range for the second time today with the new Knight Bighorn 50 cal. Did pretty good for a Greenhorn I think. Getting 2 inch groups at 50yds . I wore my arm out though before I got to reach out to 100. I am using 295 grain powerbelts with 130 grains of Pyrodex RS..I am seeing mostly negative feedback on the Powerbelt bullet. Im new to muzzleloading and need to get dialed in for an elk hunt in October.
Looking for some advice on a good bullet and load for this hunt. Plastic tipped or hollow point? Ive hunted modern rifle for years and the thought of going into the field with a hollow point bullet for big game is hard for me to grasp. Are these as effective ? I suppose the closer ranges associated with the muzzleloader make this possible. Is that the case?

Don't shoot an elk with those power belts! I'm half new to muzzleloaders myself but was lucky I'm a big bullet freak and got good advise in the beginning my elk load on my next hunt will most likely be a 535 no excuses.

This worked for me this past year:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27889

I did extensive testing of various bullets and sabots, trying to find the most accurate load using a premium bullet. The Barnes 290 T-EZ happened to do it for me, and I would use it again.

You may have to see what your rifle likes with regard to bullet, sabot and powder charge, and go from there.

I agree with the good doctor the barnes t-ez 290 is the way to go. and yes stay away from the powerbelts you should be able to get much better accuracy than what you are getting with them. if the barnes doesn't do it keep looking. guy

I am also a big fan of the 290 Tez. Shot my first deer with a muzzleloader using the tez st 90 yds. DRT. :applause: I also have had good success accuracy wise with full bore Thors.

Fmfdred56 said:
Don't shoot an elk with those power belts! I'm half new to muzzleloaders myself but was lucky I'm a big bullet freak and got good advise in the beginning my elk load on my next hunt will most likely be a 535 no excuses.
What is 535?

lots of good info and good people here to pick their brains.imo 2 inch groups at 50 yards = 4 inch at 100 yards not so good I would drop the powder charge to 90grs and workup in 5gr steps till the group tightens up and get some no excuse lead.
I shoot a 410 with 70grs of 777 3f with a 420gr bullet the 451 uses 80grs of 777 3f and eds 350hp up to a 680gr that I cast, the 410 is moa at 200 and the 451 is as good at at 200yards.some pic posted here some where
Not trying to be negative when I started I was shooting patterns instead of groups till I got some help on here and the old dwb site
Come to think of it I still have that old fast twist Kentucky never shot it after I got the Whites

Fmfdred56 said:

:nono: Powerbelts others know them as WONDERBELTS, best used to make sinkers for fishing. :lol: :lol:

What state are you elk hunting in? That will help to narrow down a load knowing what you can and can not use. I agree Powerbelts probably aren't the best bullet...that being said I've killed elk with them and two of the biggest bulls I've had the privilege to be on the hunt for fell to a Powerbelt. Both bulls were over 350". So they will do the job if your gun loves them & you can't find another bullet it likes.

CoHiCntry said:
What state are you elk hunting in? That will help to narrow down a load knowing what you can and can not use. I agree Powerbelts probably aren't the best bullet...that being said I've killed elk with them and two of the biggest bulls I've had the privilege to be on the hunt for fell to a Powerbelt. Both bulls were over 350". So they will do the job if your gun loves them & you can't find another bullet it likes.
Washington... Open ignition

kbf1961 said:
CoHiCntry said:

Were I you... I would suggest you consider a Lehigh .458x305 grain bullet, either a MMP 458x50 Orange sabot or a MMP HPH-24 sabot, they fit my Knights better since the .458 is a true 45-70 rifle bullet, with 110 grains of T7-3f since you have to use caps. I would also suggest the RWS Dynamit Nobel 1075+ cap or the CCI #11 Mag cap. Then if you get a good nipple that the cap fits tight on it will also make it water proof. The Knight nipple is to skinny and the cap can often fall off.

These bullets offer great Terminal Ballistics.

The AMCO Nipple is no longer available from Track of the Wolf but they now offer a stainless steel version that uses the same nipple stack measurements. The are very good nipples for plunger gun.

sabotloader said:
kbf1961 said:
CoHiCntry said:

Were I you... I would suggest you consider a Lehigh .458x305 grain bullet, either a MMP 458x50 Orange sabot or a MMP HPH-24 sabot, they fit my Knights better since the .458 is a true 45-70 rifle bullet, with 110 grains of T7-3f since you have to use caps. I would also suggest the RWS Dynamit Nobel 1075+ cap or the CCI #11 Mag cap. Then if you get a good nipple that the cap fits tight on it will also make it water proof. The Knight nipple is to skinny and the cap can often fall off.

The AMCO Nipple is no longer available from Track of the Wolf but they now offer a stainless steel version that uses the same nipple stack measurements. The are very good nipples for plunger gun.

So, pardon the ignorance, these bullets are actually made for reloading the 45-70 round? I really appreciate the aftermarket nipple advice. That was one of my problems the other day darn cap would fall off occasionally.

sabotloader said:
kbf1961 said:
CoHiCntry said:

Why not Knights own Bloodline? Is there a big difference in performance between the Bloodline and the Lehigh ? Being new to muzzleloading I am curious...

Lehigh / Bloodline... 6 of one, half dozen of the other. Lehigh makes em all. I would also probably choose one of those...unless you are in a state that doesn't allow them. I love how they work :yeah: Personally, you couldn't pay me to use a powerbelt. I want to KNOW my bullet will work, not hope it will. Way too many bad reports for me, and way to many good bullets out there.

As far as caps, the RWS 1075 are my favorite, and work perfectly on the knight nipples. I have 5 #11 rifles with Knight red hot nipples, no complaints at all. Never a hang fire or ftf, and the caps fit quite snug on them.

one more question... Lehigh website states velocity 1,600-2,600 fps... does that mean they will not shred there petals at less velocity? I that were the case this would be more or less a 100 yard bullet... right?

Product Technical Information Below:
Bullet Weight305 grains
Bullet Diameter0.458"Bullet
Length1.100MaterialUNSC36000 brass
Ballistic Coefficient (G1)(theoretical)0.197Design
Velocity1,600-2,600 fps

kbf1961 said:
CoHiCntry said:

I'm not familiar with Washington regulations. Some saboted bullets have been recommended. You can use sabots but have to have an "open ignition"???

Washington
Muzzleloader Regulations

“Definitions of a Muzzleloader: A firearm that is loaded from the muzzle and uses black powder or a black powder substitute as recommended by the manufacturer for use in all muzzleloading firearms. A muzzleloading firearm shall be considered loaded if a powder charge and a projectile, either shot or single projectile are in the barrel and the barrel or breech is capped or primed. It is unlawful to hunt wildlife using a muzzleloading firearm that does not meet the following specifications. A muzzleloading shotgun or rifle must have a single or double barrel, rifled or smooth-bored A muzzleloading shotgun or rifle used for deer must be 40 caliber or larger Buckshot size #1 or larger may be used in a smoothbore of 60 caliber or larger for deer. A muzzleloading shotgun, rifle, or handgun used for all other big game must be 45 caliber or larger. Persons lawfully hunting small game with a double barrel, muzzleloading shotgun may keep both barrels loaded. A muzzleloading handgun must have a single or double barrel of at least eight inches, must be rifled, and must be capable of being loaded with forty-five grains or more of black powder or black powder substitute per the manufacturer's recommendations. A muzzleloading handgun used for big game must be 45 caliber or larger. A handgun designed to be used with black powder; including black powder percussion revolvers, can be used to hunt forest grouse, cottontail rabbits, and snowshoe hares. In addition to the above requirements, it is unlawful to participate (hunt) in a muzzleloading-hunting season using a firearm that does not meet the following specifications for a muzzleloader. As in the past sabots are allowed Any type of projectile is allowed. A modern handgun may be carried for personal protection Modern handguns cannot be used to hunt big game or dispatch wounded big game during a big game hunting season for muzzleloading firearms a Ignition is to be wheel lock, matchlock, flintlock, or percussion using original style percussion caps that fit on the nipple and are exposed to the eather "Exposed to the weather" means the percussion cap or the frizzen must be visible and not capable of being enclosed by an integral part of the weapon proper Primers designed to be used in modern cartridges are not legal. Sights must be open, peep, or of other open sight design Fiber optic sights are legal Telescopic sights or sights containing glass are prohibited It is unlawful to have any electrical device or equipment attached to a muzzleloading firearm while hunting. Those persons lawfully hunting Big-game with a double barrel muzzleloader may only keep one barrel loaded. Hunters with disabilities who meet the definition of being visually impaired in WAC 232-12-828 may receive a special use permit that would allow the use of scopes or other visual aids. A disabled hunter permit holder in possession of a special use permit that allows the use of a scope or visual aid may hunt game birds or game animals during muzzleloader seasons. Muzzleloading firearms used during a modern firearm season are not required to meet ignition, sight, or double barrel restrictions.”

Latest posts

Back