Good Elk Load

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
coaster500 said:
one more question... Lehigh website states velocity 1,600-2,600 fps... does that mean they will not shred there petals at less velocity? I that were the case this would be more or less a 100 yard bullet... right?

Product Technical Information Below:
Bullet Weight305 grains
Bullet Diameter0.458"Bullet
Length1.100MaterialUNSC36000 brass
Ballistic Coefficient (G1)(theoretical)0.197Design
Velocity1,600-2,600 fps

This is from the Lehigh Web Site..

http://www.lehighdefense.com/collection ... 1073755480

Caliber: 0.458
Bullet Weight (gr): 305
Length (in): 1.100
BC (G1): 0.179
Minimum Twist Rate: 1:20
Velocity (fps): 1,200-2,800
Box Qty: 50

So Lehigh is saying that the bullet will do it's thing down to 1200 fps. I have shot several animals with the bullet and actually think it will work even down to 1100 fps.

I have included a Ballistic print out of the bullet from one of my rifles - that should give you the information you are looking for.

I ordered some of these Lehigh bullets today along with the HPH 24 Orange Sabots. Thanks for the tip. Ill let you know how they do when I get them and get back out to the range......Kevin

WOW! I got my order from Lehigh and MMP the other day and got back out to the range this evening. I went with your 110grn 777 and the CCI magnum cap recomondation and nailed a 3" bullseye group my 4th, 5th and 6th shot. The first 3 were low and once I held up a little with the factory sight I was dead on. I only had enough time for a few rounds but for all intents and purposes I am done and ready to hunt... Thank you so much for the advice Sabotloader. I might add I also went with the nipple from T.O.W. part# RST-S it only lasted 3 rounds after round 3 it became flared out to where I could not get another cap on. I had picked up a couple TC nipples at the local hardware store and got the group with that one, consequently that will be the nipple I use from now on. Cap fit tight , shot great and readily available... Thanks again I will continue to play around with this gun and keep yall posted of any changes

sabotloader said:
shguns said:
The AMPCO #11 nipple are still available here:

https://www.jedediah-starr.com/closeup. ... 3&offset=0

If you want to try them.

The AMPCO's from Starr have a reduced diameter flash channel and would need to be drilled out to .031 to work with a magnum cap.
I think Ill just stay with the TC nipples. They work great, hold the cap well and my local hardware store sells them... Whats the average lifespan of a good nipple? I was surprised yesterday when I started having problems with the nipples I had

kbf1961 said:
sabotloader said:
shguns said:
The AMPCO #11 nipple are still available here:

https://www.jedediah-starr.com/closeup. ... 3&offset=0

If you want to try them.

The AMPCO's from Starr have a reduced diameter flash channel and would need to be drilled out to .031 to work with a magnum cap.
I think Ill just stay with the TC nipples. They work great, hold the cap well and my local hardware store sells them... Whats the average lifespan of a good nipple? I was surprised yesterday when I started having problems with the nipples I had

If you got a new nipple from TOW and it has already peened over I would really call TOW and let them know - I am sure they will replace it. I have been using the same nipple for a couple of years now and have not had a problem. Somehow I am thinking that new RST-1 did not get hardened...

Dry firing can hasten the peening effect - but firing a cap should not really speed the peening process up.

Have you looked at the face of the plunger to see if it has a small dimple sticking out? If it does that dimple is used to set off 209 primers. While it will work for both cap and primers it will flare out the nipples for #11 caps.

ShawnT said:
Have you looked at the face of the plunger to see if it has a small dimple sticking out? If it does that dimple is used to set off 209 primers. While it will work for both cap and primers it will flare out the nipples for #11 caps.

Excellent point Shawn and I think I would bet that it has the inverted cone for shooting primers instead of the flat face...

sabotloader said:
ShawnT said:

Excellent point Shawn and I think I would bet that it has the inverted cone for shooting primers instead of the flat face...
Me too. I just assumed from the beginning he had a Western version but when he mentioned the nipple damage it sounded like what happened to my MK-85 that had that universal hammer. It tore up my nipples like that till I cut that cone off. I had AMPCO and a TC and Knight nipple damaged. You were right on mentioning the "Dry Fire" is a no no with that type cone too, one time and it ruined the Knight nipple that came with that rifle, and I did not really mean to do it either. :shock:

sabotloader said:
kbf1961 said:
sabotloader said:

If you got a new nipple from TOW and it has already peened over I would really call TOW and let them know - I am sure they will replace it. I have been using the same nipple for a couple of years now and have not had a problem. Somehow I am thinking that new RST-1 did not get hardened...

Dry firing can hasten the peening effect - but firing a cap should not really speed the peening process up.

The new nipple from TOW became unusable after 3 shots which made me look at the nipple that came with the rifle and it was also damaged.

ShawnT said:

It definitely has a small nipple sticking out. Shouldn't this Knight rifle with the "Western ignition" have had the correct plunger?

There is definitely a small protrusion sticking out of the end of the plunger. Like a little nipple. Definitely not flat. It looks Knight doesn't off any different plunger styles. It should be flat? Like the face of the cap?

The original Knight MK-85 came with #11 Cap and that had a flat faced plunger. Later in the production they were offering the 209 ignition too and the plungers had that little cone to set off the primers. At the end of production they seem to consider that plunger as a sort of "Universal" Plunger. My MK-85 had that plunger with a #11 nipple & plug and it was a new old stock rifle I got from someone that had never used it and it was still in the box. It ruined nipples just like you have seen. I removed that cone as I never plan to use the 209 primers in mine. I have no idea if they offer a "Flat faced plunger in any of the new Knight rifles. I suppose you could ask them. It will probably ruin most nipples to some degree. I think that TOW offers a "Hardened" nipple. That may slow down the flaring but I have not tried that.

I suppose you have 6 options....
1. Contact knight and see if the offer a flat faced plunger that is not advertised.
2. Use it as is. and just keep extra nipples around and a file to dress it up now and then.
3. Try the Hardened nipple.
4. Remove the cone on your hammer.
5. Purchase a new hammer and remove the cone on one and keep the other as a spare.
6.Try purchasing a flat faced hammer from someone that has a spare they don't need.

If it were me and I only wanted to use, or was only allowed to use, a cap ignition. I would just remove the cone and make it a flat face.

Mine before modification with cone.

After removing it.

No more nipples being ruined now. :wink: :D

I believe the only option Knight offers now day is the Universal plunger. You might find on older style plunger on ebay or other auction sites... or have the cone removed by a machinist.

sabotloader said:
I believe the only option Knight offers now day is the Universal plunger. You might find on older style plunger on ebay or other auction sites... or have the cone removed by a machinist.
I have a friend that has a mill. I brought it over there today and had it milled down... How do I post a picture?

kbf1961 said:
sabotloader said:
I have a friend that has a mill. I brought it over there today and had it milled down... How do I post a picture?

email me the pic and I will post it. Check your PM's

kbf1961 said:
sabotloader said:
Good Deal. Your Nipple problems are gone now! :yeah:

I put my plunger in my table top Drill press vice and used a 3/8" end mill to cut mine off. Then just polished it.

WOW! I got back out to the range the other day and the first couple rounds were dead on The next dozen or so rounds were all over the board. It was like shooting with an overheated barrel. They weren't even on paper. I cant believe I was pulling them that hard....LOL. I guess I have a lot more work to do. The nipple held up great with the milled hammer anyway. Kevin

Latest posts

Back