what is a really good sling for hunting?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyf

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've got my new T/C Endeavor and I'm off to the range tomorrow to get it zeroed in. Muzzle loader hunting season begins December 13th in NY state. I plan on heading out the 17th & 18th upstate.

However as of right now I have no sling for the new Endeavor. I want to get a really good quality sling for it. What are my options?

Thanks

Another vote for the Quake. Best one I've used.

Quake Claw.

Will not slip from your shoulder, secure and comfortable.

FAB

I actually prefer my Butler Creek neoprene sling. The Quake Claw I own has plastic stud connectors and randomly comes undone.

I own all three mentioned above, and like them all. I like the Claw in the fact that it comes in white therefore is somewhat camoflage for our muzzleloading season here in Michigan is in Decemeber. To me however, it can be a bit bulky for my tastes but does stay supple even in frigid temps. Butler Creek Neoprene I've never had any problems with, and is easy to find as well. The Vero Vellini I like the best, but they can be more pricey and difficult to find. If you do go that route, I prefer the one available in Safety Orange, thereby complying with our orange law. As many here do, "Bending the Law"... I usually reverse whatever I'm wearing when stand hunting for concealment, and simply take the sling off while sitting and put in my pocket or pack.

All three work well though.

Slings should really be broken down into two different categories.

1.Carry Straps.

2.Shooting Slings.

Carry Straps can be anything from a simple piece of rope to a elaborate leather or neopreme strap designed to carry or transport a long gun.

Shoot slings are really the only "sling" that should be appropriately named a sling. Per Col Jeff Cooper.

A shooting Sling not only can be used as a carry strap but also serves as a supported shooting devise. With a little bit of proper training a marksman can utilize a shooting sling quicker and quieter than any bipod and more accurately.

jefo1 said:
Can't go wrong with a Quake Claw sling

Agreed. Been using mine for 5 seasons and it still looks brand new. The silicone "pad" really hangs on well to the clothing....sometimes too well, but that's another very funny story.

I bought claw slings this year for my guns also. Love it. Mine has metal sling swivels on it, which were different than my buddy - his had the plastic "quiet" swivels. I guess they must have changed, his is a couple years old.

If you cover any ground, you all are missing out if you don't a least try the Safari Sling.

Google it. Everyone I've introduced to this sling now owns one. Plus, the price is right.

LarryBud said:
If you cover any ground, you all are missing out if you don't a least try the Safari Sling.

Google it. Everyone I've introduced to this sling now owns one. Plus, the price is right.

+1 Same here. Easily the best sling for carrying in heavy cover where you may need two hands. NOT a shooting sling but I use shooting sticks anyway.

s7_220723_003_01

I have always used the Padded Super Sling. It's very comfortable, well made, and should last you a lifetime.

SteveH said:
LarryBud said:

+1 Same here. Easily the best sling for carrying in heavy cover where you may need two hands. NOT a shooting sling but I use shooting sticks anyway.

s7_220723_003_01

X2 on the Safari. Works well with any rifle, but excels on the heavy ones ! Once you use one, you will not be without it..

I use a leather 1" wide Montana sling. I do not care for the neoprene. I need to try a claw.
I am always wearing a day pack at the minimum so a wider sling just does not work for me. The just do not tuck in behind the back straps as well as the narrower slings.
Real shooting slings are a pain but effective tool for a secure shooting position. I use my pack often for a rest.

Latest posts

Back