gearin up for a hog hunt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anonymouscowherd

Reaction score
cowerker and i are planning a woods walk that will either get us into some nice squirrel hunting or the opportunity for a pig

Since I dont think my preferred squirrel popper (22lr SBR w/ 4" barrel) is what I want Im thinkin of taking the 54 muzzle loader as well

Or taking just my 12ga pump - but slug accuracy is dismal past 25-30 yards. Need to try some 00 buck ... but I cant shoot it past 25 yards at the range Im a member of and tbh I dont think it will let me reach 50 yards

Other option is 20ga o/u and carrying slugs as well as shot. Need to check to see how they shoot, Ive got 20 of 'em and havent shot any from it yet

What should I spend some range time with tomorrow? Thinkin right now best hope is 20ga slugs

(WMA we are hitting is no centerfire rifles otherwise I wouldnt be going thru this)

cowerker and i are planning a woods walk that will either get us into some nice squirrel hunting or the opportunity for a pig

Since I dont think my preferred squirrel popper (22lr SBR w/ 4" barrel) is what I want Im thinkin of taking the 54 muzzle loader as well

Or taking just my 12ga pump - but slug accuracy is dismal past 25-30 yards. Need to try some 00 buck ... but I cant shoot it past 25 yards at the range Im a member of and tbh I dont think it will let me reach 50 yards

Other option is 20ga o/u and carrying slugs as well as shot. Need to check to see how they shoot, Ive got 20 of 'em and havent shot any from it yet

What should I spend some range time with tomorrow? Thinkin right now best hope is 20ga slugs

(WMA we are hitting is no centerfire rifles otherwise I wouldnt be going thru this)
You should be able to shoot a deer or hog at 100yds with the .54 I'd think & those big honkin maxi balls you use will easily put the kibosh on whatever you hit with them.
I really do like the 20ga O/U ideer alot. If you are limited with the 12ga pump to only 25yds with slugs or 00 Buck ( IDKY ) then testing slugs & 00 Buck in that 20ga O/U is a great ideer. You should be able to be effective at 50yds with that I'd think & it's a joy to carry around too.
Heres to hoping that you have an awesome hunt, safe & successful.

Use that .54. Whoomp and done. Good luck and don't get gored!

Use that .54. Whoomp and done. Good luck and don't get gored!
Shall be a diametric opposites 2A day - 22lr SBR for squirrels, old fashioned caplock for the pigs :)

Now I gotta go and find some sling swivels... I know I got some around here someplace

Latest posts

Back