Where are they hiding ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It seems like most of the shooters at the matches are either using custom built guns or Knights . Where Are the White shooters? Surely there has to be someone using a White . If not i might just have to take a road trip sometime :)

You come to Nationals and shoot you will want to keep coming back. During the Nationals there are over 900 registered shooters. They shoot from Inlines to Sporting Clays all week long. Had two fellows in beginning shooting Whites in .38 Cal, but they stopped shooting. They shot for White in old Manufactures Match on last winning team

I don't know how many White's were produced, I only recall ever seeing 1 factory White (besides the Crane Bros custom 38's) - I believe it was a plunger style. So, the small number compared the the 7500 +/- Knight 45 1:20's might be why.
After talking to a few of the Knight Team shooters, it seemed the manufactures match was shot from different positions (including tree stand) and distances only to 200. With that, it seems many (not all) were RB -bench shooters and did not shoot a heavy bullet (300gr max) or charge. I have no idea what the other Teams were shooting (load). Today's NMLRA guys shooting Knight's w/ 20 & 18 twist are most all using heavier bullets (like Whitworth 500+) and achieving very good results. Even a former Knight Team member who shot a 295gr bullet at May's inline match realized he needs a heavier bullet to compete at the animals.
Jim S. shot really well in spring of 2014 with his Ultimate, the Marsh Bros shot their Ultimates in the IN-line AGG this past June. They again like Jim have struggled for some reason since last year.
So, really only Knight and Ultimate are the only 2 mfg that have shown up for the match. In Ultimate case 4 guys did show up last fall and I have to give Knight credit as they have been supporting/shooting at every match. If you consider Ultimate a custom, then really only Knight is the only mfg.
I think other brands can certainly compete at Friendship, but I don't think the avg MML will put in the time to experiment with his rifle.

The new Rems should start appearing soon especially with the 45cal barrels that are now available.

GM54-120 said:
The new Rems should start appearing soon especially with the 45cal barrels that are now available.

Do you know what twist? Sounds very interesting!

I believe he is referring to the older700 ml and all the prefit barrels that are available .
Luke at arrowhead sporting goods has everything to convert a 700 ml to a 1-20 twist custom prefit barrel, custom breech plug, hunter bolt nose kit, timney trigger, custom stock.

I haven't heard anything about the Remington ultimate700 in a 45 center fire action unless you buy a 50 and rebarrel it which Hankins is doing already.

fivebull said:
GM54-120 said:

Remington isn't coming out with a .45, those are RU rifles bought basically for the action and then re-barreled with different breech plugs. I believe Jeff Hankins is installing his breech plugs and primer carriers in a few. At one time I read where he said he had them piled all over his workshop for conversion. Many of those getting them converted are intending to shoot smokeless propellant I think...

fivebull said:
GM54-120 said:

Yes, its Jeff Hankins converting them to 45cal. He also installs his ignition system using LRMP and a primer module. Considering the base rifle can be had for around $800, its a heck of a deal for a custom build. Luke has been selling 45cal barrels for Savages and Rem700MLs for awhile now. Both MLIIs and CF actions are relatively easy to convert to 45cal MLs. They even make a 209 bolt head for Savage CF actions. Savage even sells a target action that some are using for conversions.

Common twists range from 1-18 to 1-22. Mostly 1-20 and 1-22. Current prefit barrels from Luke include Pacnor, Brux and McGowen. I think Hankins is using Kriegers for the Rem Ultimate and another builder is offering Shilens for his builds.

Latest posts

Back